Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wonder Slim Products

Ok here comes my dumb question...why do Pork rinds have Protein but they list they don't?

It is because of the type of Protein in them. It is basicly the same as collagen protein tgat is used in Protein Shots. The difference being collagen used in protein supplements comes from beef skin rather than pork. These collagen Proteins are not usablel by the human body. Therefore even though they contain protein, it is not a useable protein.

You are correct' date=' collagen aka Gelatin is a Protein, however it is a Protein that cannot be absorbed by the human body. Just like all those Protein Shots out there. You can consume it, but you will recieve no benefit from it. And by all means do not count it toward your daily protein consumption.[/quote']

This is good to know. So Protein drinks could be giving us placebo protein?

Very good to know!

http://blog.wellesse.com/blog/-not-set--2/what-is-protein-and-what-types-of-protein-are-best

This article and many more say collagen can be more bioavailable? If there are more than two schools of thought about collagen then I am going to try to investigate the claim that it isn't as available.

Where did you get your info from? I want a more scientific break down before I can decide if I should use it because it is less expensive and in some products I like for example Bariatric Hot drinks, Soups, etc.

Thanks for bring this to our attention I would have never known to research it!

weight.png

http://blog.wellesse.com/blog/-not-set--2/what-is-protein-and-what-types-of-protein-are-best

This article and many more say collagen can be more bioavailable? If there are more than two schools of thought about collagen then I am going to try to investigate the claim that it isn't as available.

Where did you get your info from? I want a more scientific break down before I can decide if I should use it because it is less expensive and in some products I like for example Bariatric hot drinks' date=' Soups, etc.

Thanks for bring this to our attention I would have never known to research it!

The link provided is part of a website that markets Protein products that are collagen based. I don't base my statements on what a sales person tells me.

The best way to evaluate a Protein is to get the PDCAAS. That will tell you pretty much everything you need to know

OTR Sleever your 100% right about the types of Protein, I'm sure you already knew that, and I found an article that really explains it in detail. I thought I would share it with everyone. Thanks for setting me straight and helping me get started on the right foot.

Protein supplements & Weight-loss Surgery

by Kimberly Mahoney, MS, RD, LDN

To view a PDF version of this article, click here.

When you step into a health food store or a Vitamin shop, there is often an abundance of protein supplements to choose from and sales people claiming they are “nutritionists” trying to sell you the best liquid or powder protein products on the market. There is a large assortment of protein supplementation available to consumers; however, it is essential to recognize that some supplements are of higher quality than others. For weight-loss surgery (WLS) patients, it can be very confusing if you are not aware of what to look for when it comes to protein supplementation.

Why is protein important?

Proteins are a part of every cell, tissue and organ in our bodies. These body Proteins are constantly being broken down and replaced. The body does not store protein for later use, therefore consuming adequate high quality protein is necessary, otherwise the body will inevitably suffer. When protein intake is not adequate, the body will break down lean body mass to compensate for poor oral intake. Loss of lean body mass is inevitable for WLS patients or individuals following a very low calorie diet. To minimize that loss, sufficient high-quality protein must be consumed.

When should liquid or powder protein supplements be used?

Most WLS patients rely strictly on liquids during the early post-operative phase, and the majority of their calories consumed during that time are often from protein supplements. Liquid or powder protein supplements may also be used post-operatively when patients are unable to consume adequate protein from food alone. This may be due to volume restrictions or food intolerances to protein rich foods.

Is there a risk of developing protein deficiency?

WLS patients, who have undergone the BPD/DS, are often at a higher risk of developing protein malnutrition. However, all WLS patients, despite the procedure, who do not comply with the recommended dietary guidelines are at risk.

What is the best quality liquid or powder protein supplement?

Commercial protein supplements are available in many flavors, textures, tastes, mix-ability and price; however, the product’s amino acid composition is of the most importance when choosing protein supplements. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. There are nine indispensable (essential) amino acids (IAA) and 11 dispensable (nonessential) amino acids (DAA). The IAA must come from dietary intake because the body is incapable of producing these compounds.

During rapid weight-loss, when protein supplements are the main source of dietary protein intake, it is essential to choose products that contain all of the IAA. Also, it is important when choosing protein supplements that they have a score of 100 on the protein digestibility corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS). This is a system that was developed as a method to evaluate protein quality. PDCAAS scores of as close to 100 as possible are desired to indicate that it contains the appropriate amount of IAA that the body needs.

Protein supplements that are made from whey, casein, soy and egg whites have a PDCAA score of 100. It is important to recognize that many of these protein sources are sold as either concentrates or isolates.

Isolates

In general, isolates tend to have a higher concentration of protein than concentrate forms. For whey protein isolates, the filtration process removes a lot of the lactose, minerals and fat in the product; therefore, these products have very little or no lactose and often provide more protein in smaller volumes. These products may be beneficial to those patients who have lactose intolerance. Also, isolates tend to have a better mix ability and cleaner taste, therefore compliance is often better with these products.

Concentrates

Whey protein concentrates have a lower concentration of protein and higher concentration of lactose. Although the protein is of good quality, the percentage of protein will vary. Consumers can always view the nutrition label as well for accurate quantities of protein.

How much protein does the WLS patient need?

Many surgical weight-loss programs recommend between 60-80 grams of protein per day for the adjustable gastric band (AGB), vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) and the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). The biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) requires approximately 90 grams of protein per-day to accommodate for the malabsorption associated with this procedure.

These recommendations are for individuals without complications (malabsorptive procedures alter digestion, thus causing the food to be poorly digested and incompletely absorbed). Those with complications will have different protein needs. The exact requirements for postoperative WLS patients with complications are not defined. It is recommended to follow-up with your surgeon and dietitian to assess protein requirements and adequate protein intake.

Protein supplements and Meal Replacement shakes – they are different

It is important to also recognize that there is a difference between protein supplements and Meal Replacement shakes (i.e. Unjury® vs. SlimFast®). Many meal replacement supplements often have a blend of soy, casein or whey protein to enhance the texture or taste of the product. Meal replacement shakes also have higher amounts of Vitamin and minerals and varying amounts of carbohydrates and Fiber.

One thing to consider is that meal replacement shakes are often designed to supplement a diet that includes animal and plant sources of protein. These should not be used as the sole source of protein or calories in the diet for an extended period of time.

What protein supplements should be avoided?

Collagen-based protein supplements are not a good source of high-quality protein and should not be used as the sole source of protein intake in WLS patients. Collagen-based protein supplements do not contain all of the indispensable amino acids that the body needs. When consuming collagen-based products as your sole source of protein, the loss of lean body mass can occur despite meeting your daily protein goals.

Do WLS patients need liquid or powder protein supplements for life?

As you begin to consume more food after surgery, the need for protein supplementation often declines or ceases. Relying solely on protein supplements to meet your protein needs is not recommended after the early post-operative liquid stage. Foods of high biological value are encouraged (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, etc.). WLS patients who cannot meet their protein needs from food alone may benefit from supplementation of high quality protein.

What are the dangers of excessive protein intake?

If you are not well hydrated, excessive protein intake may contribute to dehydration. It is also important to remember that additional protein intake, above the recommended amount, may inhibit the consumption of other important nutrients.

Conclusion

WLS patients are going to get the best bang for their buck when they choose supplements made from whey or soy isolate and avoid whey concentrate and collagen-based products. It is also important to remember that the use of protein supplements are typically decreased or cease throughout time as the WLS patient is able to meet daily protein goals from food of high biological value.

About the Author:

Kimberly Mahoney, MS, RD, LDN, is a bariatric dietitian at St. Joseph Hospital in Chicago and has been working with weight-loss surgery patients for the past five years. She is currently the chair of the Bariatric Subunit of the Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group through the American Dietetic Association.

weight.png

Fonally, that is a very good article! So maybe it would be okay to buy some Wonder Slim Products, as long as it is not my only source of protein!?

I use the WonderSlim and BariWise products sometimes, I have them available if I need a chocolate fix. These are my favorites.

post-31245-13813662440058_thumb.png

Sent from Gaye's iPad Mini using VST

I think we are responsible for eating a certain amount of good Protein daily but it will not hurt to add in other things to give variety. BariWise hot cocoa for example is made with these ingredients: first Calcium caseinate then hydrolyzed Gelatin etc etc

this is what WIKI says about Calcium caseinate

"Calcium caseinate is a Protein produced from casein in skim milk. At neutral or acid pH, casein is relatively insoluble in Water, and is easily separated from other milk Proteins, sugars and minerals. After their removal, the casein is solubilized at a high pH with calcium hydroxide; the solution is then dried (usually spray dried). Calcium caseinate contains about 17% glutamic acid.

Its main food uses are for powders requiring rapid dispersion into Water, such as coffee Creamers & instant cream Soups. It is also used as a dietary supplement by bodybuilders and other athletes who ingest it before bed, with Breakfast, or as meal after working out as it breaks down at a slower rate than whey protein, thus supplying the body with a sustained amino acid release.[1] Mead Johnson introduced a product in the early 1920s named Casec to ease gastrointestinal disorders and infant digestive problems that was the cause of death in children.[2] Calcium caseinate is soluble and does not clot in the stomach. It is believed to neutralize capsaicin, the active (hot) ingredient of peppers, jalapeños, habaneros, and other chili peppers."

Hydrolyzed Gelatin. is made of collagen and not good source of your protein daily but as a second ingredient to a milk product it is not bad for you. I'm using these products in conjunction with whey and better Proteins. However gelatin has been proven to strengthen hair, nails and even joints. So just be smart about it's use.

Gelatin is made from animals and therefore some people who are vegetarian don't eat it and the WHO and FDA acknowledges that they are not sure if gelatin is a carrier for Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy ( also known as mad cow disease). So far in the USA we appear to not have a problem with BSE but it really is not known. I take the chance because you would have to have the genetic make up and be exposed to catch BSI which in humans is called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease or CJD. I am very involved with the community of doctors and scientists who are the watch dog in the US for this devasting fatal illness. From diagnosis to death in only 2-4 months with no treatment. You can find out more about this at The CJD Foundation. I lost my brother in law who was 29 years old to this disease but it was a sporadic type that just happens in some people and we don't know why. His was not from animal products. Anyway I use gelatin products and feel safe with it but I know many Doctors and Scientists from abroad that wont eat beef in the USA because of our lenient laws that allow animal products and animals to get past the inspection point. This is probably more than anyone wanted to know but as a lobbyist for better safer food choices in the USA I have a responsibility to educate people and give them something to think about and then they can make their own educated decision.

Thanks for putting up with my long explanations!

weight.png

By the way I have a degree in Biology but I cannot figure out this stupid ticker tape! I did everything the directions told me to but now that I have it as my signature how do I make changes? I would really appreciate some direction.Thank you.

weight.png

This goes out to OTR sleeved. You seem to know your stuff with the Protein supplements ect. I am frustrated. I have been having a super hard time getting protein in. Not even coming close to the amount I am suppose to everyday. The hair is falling out in clumps I am going to be bald soon. I have been drinking the New Whey I can't tell if after reading your response if i am even absorbing it. It says protein matrix ids proprietary blend of collagen protein isolate, whey protein isolate , casein protein isolate. It is lactose free it says complete source of protein containing all essential amino acids. Lactose free gluten free sugar free and fat free. Is this acceptable. I can not get much food down at all. I am almost five months out. Please let m know if this drink I take once a day is for nothing.

Ask OTR Sleever he seems very knowledgable about Protein powders. I don't really know which ones are best. Can't you talk to the nutritionist at your DRs office?I don't think your hair should not come out in clumps. I'm sorry your going through that.

weight.png

This goes out to OTR sleeved. You seem to know your stuff with the Protein supplements ect. I am frustrated. I have been having a super hard time getting Protein in. Not even coming close to the amount I am suppose to everyday. The hair is falling out in clumps I am going to be bald soon. I have been drinking the new whey I can't tell if after reading your response if i am even absorbing it. It says protein matrix ids proprietary blend of collagen protein isolate' date=' whey protein isolate , casein protein isolate. It is lactose free it says complete source of protein containing all essential amino acids. Lactose free gluten free sugar free and fat free. Is this acceptable. I can not get much food down at all. I am almost five months out. Please let m know if this drink I take once a day is for nothing.[/quote']

New whey Protein Shots are one of the worst products on the market in my opinion. They are nearly unusable by the human body. Collagen iis pretty much useless & that is exactly where most of heir protein comes from.

Everything they say on their label is technically true, but it is NOT the WHOLE truth. Yes, the miniscule amount of whey isolate they use is a complete protein, meaning it contains all essential amino acids in the correct amounts. However, collagen (their primary protein source) is absolutely not.

Unfortunately the FDA does not regulate the supplement industry. If they did, they would have to label their product with he same guidelines that foods & drugs do. The FDA requires all foods that utilize collagen aka Gelatin to post the words "not a signifigant source of protein".

I really wish collagen was a good protein source. If it were, I could eat Jello all day long and never have to worry about a shake again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the misrepresentation these protein shots make isn't a huge contributing factor to your air falling out, I bet our nails are weak or brittle also.

Today I tried and tried and tried. I felt like everything I was turning around I was trying to get the Protein In. All the trying only gave me 45-50 grams of protein. I even ate tuna that mades me want to throw up. I ate eggs. I ate chopped beef. Some Peanut Butter. And a half of a Atkins bar. I could not fit anymore what the heck is

Wrong with me. I am so going to go bald. I am so sad and frustrated. ????what am I going to do everyday struggle this horribly ?