Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made My Decision - in Dallas Area

I finally made my decision to be banded. However, living in the Dallas area, there are so many Doctor's in the area, that I just don't know which one to use. Any feedback on Doctor's in the area would be great!

Welcome to the board. This is a wonderful place for information. I am very happy with my decision to have the band and I have the utmost respect for my doctor. He is in Carrollton.

North Texas Bariatric & General Surgery

Dr. Frank Veninga

4333 N. Josey Lane

Plaza II - Suite 207

Carrollton, Texas 75010

PH 972.939.8218

FX 972.395.1789

http://www.bariatricsurgerydallas.com/index.html

Angelburch congrats on your life altering decision.

I used Dr. Fox and I just love him to the end of time.

I know he has done several members bands and I have never heard a negative thing.

He has an office in the hospital where my husband works. My husband knew him from working with him before I had banding and liked him.

Click on the link in my signature for his website.

I went to a seminar for Dr. Veninga but at the time he wasn't doing banding yet. So that has been a while back but I did like his seminar and he seemed like a very nice competent doc.

Dr. Jay did my sister-in-law's niece's band and she had a really good experience.

So you have got three really good recommendations here.

Toodles,

Myra

I was referred to my surgeon by my cardiologist because I had heart problems along with other health issues, so I feel that speaks well for his reputation and experience. My surgery went extremely well, I had no problems at all.

Remember that your aftercare (fills) is very important so the person/office that does that part of it needs to feel comfortable for you. You don't have to use your surgeon or his staff for that service if another place is more convenient for you.

Congradulations on your decision to get the band. I don't have mine yet either, but I made the decision to use Dr David Provost at UTSW because of the testimonials I read on Obesityhelp.com. I have to add that I am a Medicare patient, so I am required to have my surgery done at a Center of Excellence. Not many places in Texas are accredited with the certification, so I had to pick one of the docs that practices at those centers. Of course, the accreditation means a lot to me since I'm a nurse. Many of the other centers are working towards that goal with the Medicare change. Baylor in Dallas, Methodist in Dallas, Zale Lipshy, North Hills in North Richland Hills, and I think the hospital in Denton are the only centers in the area at this time. Dr Provost has a seminar on December 12th, in case you are interested. Good luck, no matter which doc you decide to use. Everyone will think theirs is the best. I can't say that yet because I haven't seen mine yet.

Joan

Dr Jayaseelan also did my surgery. I found him to be very friendly and personable but........ If I hadn't taken the initiative to inform myself and become an internet research fiend, I would have been out of luck. I didn't find the office very forthcoming with information. I was never given a nutritional guide of any kind, with the exception of a 1 page sheet of paper with some yes/no foods listed on it, in preparation for the surgery, liquid diet etc. The office girls are nice/friendly but don't chat or give info freely. If you don't know the right questions to ask....they don't volunteer. No one from the office ever called me to follow up...see how I was doing.

I don't mean to sound negative. I haven't had a bad experience, I just feel like they should make sure their pt's are prepared. The asked me very very few questions to assess my knowledge base. I guess they just assume if your interested/inquiring about the surgery, you've done the research.

A+ to Dr Jay for personality, skills and experience. (He's right on with fills too).

B- for pre/post op pt preparation and support. (I'd say this is more an office problem than a surgeon prob.)

I used Dr Hamn at Plano of Presbyterian. 972-981-8440, He and his staff has been great.

I may be too late to add a recomendation as you may have already chosen someone. I used Dr. Cribbens ( Dr Hamms partner) I had a great experience. I went for my 4th fill a couple of weeks ago and Dr Hamm did it. They are both great and would highly recomend their office. I have friends who have used both also. The link to their website is on my homepage if your interested. Good luck.

Dr. Fox is great. He is at Medical City and at the Surgery Center of Richardson. I really can't recommend the surgery center enough - the people there were all fantastic.

Congrats on your decision and good luck finding a surgeon. I know there aren't any shortage of great ones here.

:]

Dr Jayaseelan and Dr Fox are among the best! I have several friends who have been banded by both and had great things to say!

I had to go to UTSW- Dr Provost's group... because of my insurance. The Dr's are awesome, but the office staff are not very helpful at all. I had to submit all of my own paperwork and my own appeals... I finally got approved and Dr. Daniel Scott is doing my band on 12/21. I know he is great because a friend of mine is a surgical nurse at Parkland Hospital and has actually assisted Dr. Scott on several occasions. If you want a great surgeon with great office staff, try Dr Fox or Dr Jay... Good Luck

I was also banded by Dr , Jay ! He is awesome and I would highly reccomend that you go to one of his seminars. They are very informational and informative. I was banded January 19, 2006 and I have lost 186 lbs to date.. It is by far the best decision that I have ever made. Dr. Jay takes the time to listen to your concerns and he makes sure that you are given the time you deserve when meeting with him before your surgery. I recently had to have my band unfilled and he came to the ER personally and saw me .. that says something about his bed side manner I think .. he takes good care of his patients.. I hope my input has helped .. Good Luck !

Julie

I was also banded by Dr , Jay ! He is awesome and I would highly reccomend that you go to one of his seminars. They are very informational and informative. I was banded January 19, 2006 and I have lost 186 lbs to date.. It is by far the best decision that I have ever made. Dr. Jay takes the time to listen to your concerns and he makes sure that you are given the time you deserve when meeting with him before your surgery. I recently had to have my band unfilled and he came to the ER personally and saw me .. that says something about his bed side manner I think .. he takes good care of his patients.. I hope my input has helped .. Good Luck !

Julie