Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?B12 Deficiency - Not well and don't know what to do.

Hi Everyone

I have been unwell over the last 3 weeks and just not feeling normal self. I have been to the GP a few times and had a full blood count that was normal but my question is that if my haemoglobin is normal then would that rule out a B12 deficiency. I feel like a ghost, very lethargic, fuzzy brain and really vague and feeling like I'm going to pass out when I walk around. I've got a right sided 4.5cm ovarian cyst that my doc said could be leaking but unlikely since it is not that big. I have a blood test form from my surgeon who I am due to see in January for my follow up(I had my sleeve end of May 2012). I don't know what to do. My surgeon is away until 9th January. I might ring the hospital and see what they say. Your replies would be very welcome. I have already had time off work because of how I'm feeling. HELP!

if you feel so bad maybe you should go to the hospital and let them check you out. As you are so far out it may be nothing at all to do with your sleeve and you need a check up. Keep us informed.

I am currently recovering from glandular fever and feel exactly as you described, only much worse. Drs don't generally test for it in a full blood test, it has to be specially requested. You can't do anything for it, but its worth finding out.

I am sorry how bad you feel. Defimately go to the hospital if you are that sick. Also does your doctor have an emergency or nurse line? They would be able to direct you better for the next step. I have found that many docs who are not in the Bariatric field are not always well versed in our needs. Finally I am surprised that you are not on a daily B12 dose. My Bariatric team had me start that when I had my surgery.

I site wouldn't think it would be a B12 deficiency snow tere are vegans who don't get that until many many ears into that lifestyle and you're eating meat, right?

If it is a B12 that is very easy to fix. My H suffers from this and gets monthly shots and says he feels like superman afterwards. You can take an oral and also get injections...piece of cake! :)

Good luck with the doctor-I'd go just to be on the safe side!

None of us are physicians or qualified to provide you with medical advice, so the most appropriate person(s) to contact would be your personal physician(s). If your surgeon isn't available, consult with his/her backup, if not inquire with your primary care physician. Too many times we become comfortable with people on a forum who have no medical training and could offer advise detrimental to your health. Bottom line, when in doubt call or visit your physician or surgeon. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone. I am going to call the hospital I had my surgery at in the hope that they have some understanding of the needs of people who have had our procedure. I am second guessing myself but I think it is best to give them a call and find out what they have to say.

I went back to my gp again yesterday since the hospital was going to cost me so much and she has my history anyway. It's awful when you start second guessing yourself but there is definitely something going on - my doc agrees. I have had a heap more blood tests, I'm having another ultrasound, this time of my abdomen and a chest x-ray on Monday(I so wanted to go out on New Year's too). She thinks I have some sort of infection cause I have a low grade fever as well and diarrhoea, loss of appetite, nausea etc. Anyway, I hope there is an answer coming and I am really glad I went back to my GP because she didn't make me feel like I was going mad!