Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what tests did you have to have?Do you have to do a pre-op diet. I heard some surgeons make people go on Optifast for 1-2 weeks prior. Did you go public or through private health insurance? Are you on meds for the MS? Im on Betaferon which may make my blood tests appear a bit out of range in some area's. My neurologist is going to send a letter in support of me having the procedure.

Gday Bronni, I had to have a battery of blood tests, you fast beforehand. I had to go to the respiratory physician, and do lung capacity tests. I had to stay overnight at the Austin hospital and do a sleep study test. Plus the neuros office.

My neuro has talked to me about taking Rebif and Beta. I have attacks about every two years. I reckon I will start taking either one of those if I have more than two in two years. My last attack as Feb 06. My neuro is really mad with me because I am a pretty bad patient, I have left attacks untreated, I now have permanent numbness in my left hand. At one stage my neuro reckoned that there may be oral Copaxone on the market. That would be tops! I am not taking needles, no way.

Anyway back to the banding, try to get all the appointments lined up right away if you can. I have to be on the liquid diet for 3 weeks. Mate I am gonna be dreaming about sandwiches and chicken etc. Lol! I bet you can't wait to start losing the kilos. Good on you for taking this step. Susannah

Yep!! the needles arnt nice at all. Fingers crossed for an oral med.

r/e lap banding.. Thanks for all the info. 3 weeks on a liquid diet sounds just wonderful. Hopefully my surgeon isnt that mean. It will all be worth it down the track.

I think i'll be having mine at Western Private too. How long were you in hospital? Did you have any post op problems. I experience a huge amount of pain in my chest, back and left shoulder post a past laproscopic procedure which they put down to the unreleased gas in my body. Im scared to go through that pain again. What pain killers did they give you after surgery?

Bronnie,

Be aware that this referred pain from gas is common with lapbanding (and other) lap surgery - so if you've had it before you might have it again. If that pain is too much for you the alternative is an open procedure which has a lot longer recovery & more pain in a different way.

Due to the bands placement for some people the refered pain NEVER goes away - it's just caused for a different reason long term - nothing to do with gas (and it is not uncommon, you can read other lap banding boards where the problem affects many many posters).... some get the band out because they can't deal with the constant shoulder pain and others learn to live with it. If you are one of the lucky ones whos tummy is really active and the back of the band bangs on your diaphram when you either over eat or are hungry - diaphram pain is referred to the left shoulder/neck/collarbone - it can be excrutating. No pain killers can touch that referred pain - when they up the dose you fall asleep before the pain goes.

I spent last night in agony and tears the pain was sooo bad... it came on for no reason about 7pm - much much worse than it has been in a long time. I'm 2 years out and the pain is not consistant... some months is so horrific i just want to have my band out and other months it's barely noticeable. Last night my partner begged me to let him take me to the hospital and just have it taken out/moved/replaced to see if that will help - i'm scared if I get rid of my band i'll morph back to obese... i'd rather the pain - the physical and psychological toll of being obese is far greater to me overall. I never want to be obese again but I know I have to potential without my band.

It's important to be informed about all the complications (i don't think they even consider the pain that some people get long-term a complication - more of a side-effect) because the docs will not tell you unless you ask point blank. They are selling you a product/service package and in general (including all the docs I saw when deciding whcih one i would go with for my band) will tell you the bare minimum they have to to fufill their liability requirements and make the sale. If you ask them specifically if something could occur they have to tell you honestly to fulfill their insurance requirements. Or, as they will put it should you ask, it would take far too long to explain all the possible side effects in a consult so they don't. Which is true, but they could point out the more common ones (vomiting, reflux, pain etc.) or at least provide a detailed print out with stats - though they would be deal-breakers for a lot of people and potentially lose a lot of customers if they freely offered the information.

I think the old lines "beauty is pain" and "no pain no gain (or loss in our cause)" are very true.

Hi Cam...

thanks so much. I really appreciate all the info. I remember the pain well and if i get it all over again than it was ment to be and i'll try and be big and brave. I dont want to be fat anymore ( oops!! must be getting close to that time of the month as im getting teary writting this). Doesnt help when my 6yo daughter just found the underwear hidden away that i wore on my wedding day in 1994... she just walked out with them on and they nearly fit her. The whole Bra doesnt even fit over one of my boobs now. Just shows that a 40kg weight gain over the past 12 years = HUGE!!! :-(

Just keep your chin up think positive and put the weight gain behind you, as you are now moving forward and think positve about this new healthy lifestyle that you will soon be having:)

Thanks Fee..... can i ask what weight you started at pre lap banding? Youve lost heaps. well done. Do you personally have to be very strict with your food intake at this stage?

Hey Cam, sorry to hear about your horrible pain. Could it be possible that the band was not put in in its most optimul position? Would it be worth getting a new band?

I hear you when you say you don't want to be obese again. I hope that I won't have this complication.

As for surgeons, I feel very comfortable with mine. He has always been very open and honest and upfront with me. I don't feel he was trying to sell me anything. He asked me to think about it very carefully before making my decision. He never pushed me into it.

I hope your pain can be resolved Cam. Susannah

well... i rang Dr Nottle's clinic to see if i can go for my initial consult prior to 14th feb. Great news they can get me in 12th Feb. i was hopeing for mmmm... tomorrow. This waiting is driving me nuts. I want to be banded and now!!!

well... i rang Dr Nottle's clinic to see if i can go for my initial consult prior to 14th feb. Great news they can get me in 12th Feb. i was hopeing for mmmm... tomorrow. This waiting is driving me nuts. I want to be banded and now!!!

Just keep trying as i know hes way till the 15th Jan...but u never know your luck:)

Bronnie, you could try ringing the surgery and finding out who you have to make appointments with & book them now. I found I had to wait over 4 weeks for my initial appointment, then another six weeks after that to see the physician, if I had made the physician appointment at the same time it would have saved me six weeks. Of course you can always cancel the physician & dietitian if you decide not to go ahead..

I was really fortunate that when I made my first appointment with Mr Nottle, they also scheduled my surgery date at the same time as I had already been to a physician & dietitian.

You shouldn't of course rush into it, but imo you also dont need months to wait either.

Hi... do you think Dr Nottles receptionists will give me the details ie dieticians name, what blood tests to have and physicians name? Do i have to see a specific dietician?If i knew all that id definately have it done prior to seeing Dr Nottle on 12th feb

I reckon they would give you the details, (not the blood test - you can get that anywhere & he has to order it). But I wouldn't make an appointment for before your appointment with Mr Nottle, I would try & make them either for the same day or in the next few days after it, because if there is a 6 week wait to get into the physician, you could save yourself a month by booking in now, oh and you would need the referral from Mr Nottle.

And if for some reason if there is a problem with Mr Nottle, you can always change it and be no worse off.

Like I said, I actually had my surgery 11 days after my first appointment with him, and saved myself 2 1/2 months! Rapt as a dunny roll!