Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Lie?!?!

When I lived in HI, I had a neighbor who weighed approximately 280 pounds, judging by her appearance. I had not seen her in maybe 4/5 months, but when I did....boy did she look good! She had shredded her fat cocoon and was now rocking a much smaller body..probably size 12/14. Now me, being the lifetime dieter that I am, just had to know what diet she was on that caused her to lose so much weight so fast. Now I was pretty ignorant when it came to the wls, so this was not the first thing that had come to mind. So after complimenting her weight loss and engaging in some petty conversation, I asked her what did she do to get her weight off. Her response....wait for it....wait for it...wait for it...her response was Water AEROBICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: What the heck? Was all I was thinking after she responded with that. Did she really believe that I would believe what she had just told me?

Why lie about having weight loss surgery, especially to someone that is going through the same struggle that you once went through? We should not be ashamed to announce to those who want to attain a better health the tools that we have used to achieve that.

Have any of you lied to someone about having surgery, if so, why? I understand that it is your personal decision to share whatever information with whomever you wish.

I have only told a few family members a close friends. At first u didn't want to hear the negativity now I don't want to explain it over and over. I simply say that I have cut WAY back in my eating, cut out sweets and carbs and eat mainly Protein, which is all true.

I haven't been out much cause I was just sleeved in October but I have not nor intend to lie. It is what it is... Whatever way you choose to lose weight takes determination and strength I say no matter how you lose you still win.

@Readytolose I definitely understand the negativity part, especially when it comes from people who probably have never had a weight issue.

In casual conversation with a person who is obese and different methods of losing weight came up, would you tell them that you have had weightloss surgery if they were struggling with their weight or would you tell them to reduce their calorie intake (and have them believe that they could achieve the same amount of weighloss in short timeframe)?

Well, yes we DO have privacy but if a coworker (who is probably fat too I would guess) asks then I would TELL them the many benefits of WLS. It's your choice but informing other people who may need it is one thing that I look forward to doing. I tell ANYONE who asks and have had at least 2 people pursue WLS because of my openness.

I didn't tell anyone before hand besides my wife and openly tell anyone who asks about it now. And your question is the reason: Why Lie? We openly boast about so many things in our life, kids, work, homes etc, why not boast about the single most beneficial health decision that I have EVER made for myself?

Why should I feel obligated to tell you?

Why should you feel entitled to ask?

It is my choice' date=' not yours, what I elect to explain about my private life.

I don't have "secrets." I have privacy. And that is my right.

I did have someone ask me yesterday why I was not eating the pre-Thanksgiving Breakfast that was served at work. I said it was not on my nutritional plan. They then asked what I was doing to lose weight. I told them that I eat Protein first and exercise. That is truthful. Should I then launch into a detailed disclosure of everything that I did/do and why? Hell no.[/quote']

I agree 100% I have not nor will I be telling anyone. My family still doesn't know. I feel it is my choice not to disclose this to ppl. In my line of work things spread fast in die slow.

I despise liars. I wouldn't stoop to her level and say something rude, but I would secretly wish the fat fairies left a huge deposit for her overnight.

Water Aerobics? Yes, Water aerobics, a couple of Beans, a hell of a climb up that beanstalk, and to a surgeon (or gym).

I respect privacy, but she needs to get her story together.

Why should I feel obligated to tell you?

Why should you feel entitled to ask?

It is my choice' date=' not yours, what I elect to explain about my private life.

I don't have "secrets." I have privacy. And that is my right.

I did have someone ask me yesterday why I was not eating the pre-Thanksgiving breakfast that was served at work. I said it was not on my nutritional plan. They then asked what I was doing to lose weight. I told them that I eat Protein first and exercise. That is truthful. Should I then launch into a detailed disclosure of everything that I did/do and why? Hell no.[/quote']

I am so with you! I was sleeved on oct 3 and have lost about 50 pounds including preop diet. I know people look at me with fish eyes when they haven't seen me since my surgery. If they dare ask, i tell them I am on a medically supervised diet. Only 3 people in my life know I had surgery. my husband, my oldest daughter, and my best friend. I elected not to tell my parents, brother or anyone else. i am not ashamed, but it is truly no one's business, and know one should feel entitled to know it. Just my humble opinion.

Done Did It!

It is what it is. Everybody is different, and many people are surrounded by negativity and backstabbers, not to mention there is a big stigma about "taking the easy way out." I feel fortunate that I have lived my life in such a way that I am surrounded by people who would not dare say a negative thing to me about this. What they say behind my back....I don't care. My friends have the right to believe however they choose. I haven't heard a single negative thing.

I encourage people to share their WLS experience with others who are struggling with weight loss. A friend shared his experience with me, and that is what prompted me to take this path. Without his openness, I would still be 400 pounds. Now, whenever anyone asks me about my weightloss (and they WILL ask) I tell them about the surgery. It's liberating.

But not everyone is in the position to be this open, and that's understandable. Each of us should be as open as we are comfortable being.

I selectively tell people that I've had surgery... most people do not know and it's my right to not tell them. People are judgmental (like the anesthesiologist that I had a consult with yesterday) and I don't always want to deal with that nor do I always have the energy to deal with it. That said, I almost always tell people that are overweight as well... I like to share my success with them because I know it may of crossed their mind and almost always they have questions for me after that and I'm open to them and even willing to give them my email to talk more later. What I have found is most people - overweight or not are NOSY about weight loss of any type... I'm only a 36 days out and I've dropped from an 18 to a 12 and I get a lot of questions from my thin coworkers and I know they don't need to lose weight... they're just curious... with them I just say that I've drastically cut my calories and fat intake and I eat hardly any carbs and a lot of Protein (I usually say it's like Atkins but worse LOL). I also exercise daily. Sometimes they ask what else but I tell them there's not much else to tell... I just eat very little and that I have to if I want to lose weight because I'm hypothyroid. They usually see me eating something because I have breakfast and lunch in my office so that helps... also I tend to have a semi-normal half portion and then I wrap up the rest for later or the next day.

It is what it is. Everybody is different, and many people are surrounded by negativity and backstabbers, not to mention there is a big stigma about "taking the easy way out." I feel fortunate that I have lived my life in such a way that I am surrounded by people who would not dare say a negative thing to me about this. What they say behind my back....I don't care. My friends have the right to believe however they choose. I haven't heard a single negative thing.

I encourage people to share their WLS experience with others who are struggling with weight loss. A friend shared his experience with me, and that is what prompted me to take this path. Without his openness, I would still be 400 pounds. Now, whenever anyone asks me about my weightloss (and they WILL ask) I tell them about the surgery. It's liberating.

But not everyone is in the position to be this open, and that's understandable. Each of us should be as open as we are comfortable being.

Everyone that knows about my surgery has learned so much about this not being easy at all but they also know how it has made a difference in my life too. I really feel like this was my second chance and that I wouldn't see 35 without it which is why when someone overweight asks me I do share my experience - the good and the bad.

When I lived in HI' date=' I had a neighbor who weighed approximately 280 pounds, judging by her appearance. I had not seen her in maybe 4/5 months, but when I did....boy did she look good! She had shredded her fat cocoon and was now rocking a much smaller body..probably size 12/14. Now me, being the lifetime dieter that I am, just had to know what diet she was on that caused her to lose so much weight so fast. Now I was pretty ignorant when it came to the wls, so this was not the first thing that had come to mind. So after complimenting her weight loss and engaging in some petty conversation, I asked her what did she do to get her weight off. Her response....wait for it....wait for it...wait for it...her response was Water AEROBICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: What the heck? Was all I was thinking after she responded with that. Did she really believe that I would believe what she had just told me?

Why lie about having weight loss surgery, especially to someone that is going through the same struggle that you once went through? We should not be ashamed to announce to those who want to attain a better health the tools that we have used to achieve that.

Have any of you lied to someone about having surgery, if so, why? I understand that it is your personal decision to share whatever information with whomever you wish.[/quote']

Im very open about my surgery with everyone but that is my choice

Sent from my Samsung G2 using VST

I despise liars. I wouldn't stoop to her level and say something rude, but I would secretly wish the fat fairies left a huge deposit for her overnight.

Water Aerobics? Yes, Water aerobics, a couple of Beans, a hell of a climb up that beanstalk, and to a surgeon (or gym).

I respect privacy, but she needs to get her story together.

It's hard when someone asks you and you're torn with whether/not to tell them so you just throw something out there ;) ... We've all been there LOL.

On another note - I only eat a couple of Beans sometimes... ask my husband :lol:

Im very open about my surgery with everyone but that is my choice

Also she really could have naturally lost it. I lost 60 pounds with diet and gym twice a day.....just sayin :)