Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post Up And Mourning Food And Being Able To Eat

So' date=' I'm 1 week post op and I'm mourning food and the prospect of ever being able to eat more then dainty portions again... I'm surrounded by people who are of normal builds who can eat a whole plate of food or a cheeseburger and fries and still maintain their normal size. It frightens me to think that I will never be able to finish a cheeseburger or indulge and eat a whole plate of Thanksgiving food. I understand that my size and lifestyle prior to the sleeve wasn't normal either, but I have serious anxiety about never being able to guzzle a bottle of Water or finish a sandwich again. Is this just the price I have to pay?

Will I ever be able to do these things again? Ultimately I would like to be at goal weight and maintain with about 2000 to 2500 calories a day like a normal human being and be able to actually gulp down some Water after a good work out. Will this never happen? Please refrain from flaming me, only supportive, informative and non-judgmental responses please.[/quote']

What your going through is completely normal . Just because our stomach is altered doesn't mean our mind is. Our brains take a long time to catch up . I'm now 14 days out and able to eat purée which isn't so bad . You will get to the stage where you don't actually want the cheese burger and fries . It's so much work actually getting your Protein in that your full and don't have room for anything else . You have to retrain your brain and think yeah I could have ( whatever junk food ) but I choose not too . Does that make sense ? Right now it's all about control your feeling you don't have control over your food choices , but you do .

In 1 week is my 2 year anniversary. I can tell you a couple of things.

Remember that your tummy is EXTREMELY swollen right now. And it take months for the swelling to go down and actually be at your actually capacity. You will be able to drink more than just a couple sips at a time. I can drink half a Water bottle at a time if I am really thirsty, like while working out. Carbonated drinks though are still a no go. Maybe a couple of sips and then my tummy hurts from the gas. They aren't healthy anyway, so no big loss there!

Will you be able to eat a big plateful of food? No way in hell!! Will it bother you in the future? Probably not. I am so used to the way I eat now, that it seems normal to me. When I watch other people eat platefuls of food, I am shocked that I could ever eat that much. I still enjoy food, but you can enjoy food without eating a pound of it at a sitting. And I can enjoy treats as well, knowing I can only eat a little and savoring it!

On the odd day that I find myself saying "I wish I could eat a little more", I always remember a handy little thing my support group leader told us...."If I could, I would, and that is how I got to where I was in the first place".

I have no regrets at all, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The reward of food comes no where close to touching the reward of self-confidence. The reward of not feeling like the fattest person in the room. The reward of being able to go wherever I want and do whatever I want. Surprisingly, by having the surgery, it gave me a normal life, it didn't take it away!

I was sleeved 2/17/12. Lost almost 100 lbs so far. I too was scared that I would never be able to drink a bottle of Water (especially when working out)....but now am able to drink about 8 ounces of water at a time. I still mourn not being able to eat as much as everyeone else. I do not mourn everyday...but just every once in awhile. I realize having surgery was one of the best things I have done for myself. Keep your chin up and anytime you need encouragement either get online for help or think of the reason you went through with surgery.

I've noticed that most everyone who's responded is pre-op or very newly sleeved. I'm 6' date=' almost 7 months out. Down 75 pounds from an all time high of 254. BP down, cholesterol levels normal, blood sugar perfect, sleep apnea gone, shopping at normal people stores for regular size 12s and 14s (a first in my life!), crossing my legs like a lady, taking a few flights of stairs without a thought, week 7 of Couch to 5K (ridiculous!), being hit on by men half my age, guzzling Water after a workout, eating reasonable portions of Protein first, then veggies and fruit, getting at least one Protein Drink a day as insurance (and I love me a tall iced latte with vanilla protein). What's not to love? I'm 54, and my ONLY regret is that I didn't do this sooner. We celebrated my mom's birthday last week at a four star French restaurant. I tasted everything, gravitated mostly toward my filet and seafood appetizers, shared with others, had a lovely glass of wine and focused on appreciating my mom's longevity and support, and my husband's affection. Have I mentioned how happy I am that food is not the crutch and anchor and absolute center of my life? It truly feels like I've been let out of a cage. I'm not sure what the future holds for you, but I encourage you to read some of the posts of folks denied surgery for many complicated insurance or physical or financial reasons. You have been given a great opportunity to change your life, bug only you can embrace the chance and be grateful for it and run with it. Best of success to you; this too shall pass![/quote']

Beautifully said. Keep up the great work. I hope I will feel the same in a couple of months. I was sleeved on 11/14.

I just had my surgery on 11/20 & its super hard!! I miss chewing!! Lol

I just had my surgery on 11/20 & its super hard!! I miss chewing!! Lol

I had my surgery on 11/06 and trust me it was hard! When the day came to start eating pureed...I was so happy!! I was kind of upset that I couldn't eat thanksgiving like everyone else but I did this for a reason. I still get upset that I can't just throw back a bottled Water because I get so thirsty at work but oh well. I am almost three weeks post- op and have lost 28 lbs.!! Happy Happy!! When they brought me back to my room from surgery I was already trying to get out of bed to walk. By that night I was jogging up and down the hall. I walk 2 miles a day and love the fact that I have more spring in my step! Keep your head up!!

Don't sweat the food mourning. It's only temporary. Get past the puréed and mushys and then on to soft. I was sleeved on 6-14-12 and am down 80lbs. I eat anything I want and nothing bothers me. I can eat an entire can of tuna in one sitting. Or a small sirloin steak fillet and a small serving of green Beans. Thanksgiving I ate 2 small slices of turkey, mabye half cup of green bean casserole, a tiny pile of mashed potatoes, I slice of cranberry jelly and I was stuffed. So you won't miss what you can't eat anyway. As far as Water, I can drink almost half a bottle (16.9oz) in one big drink and not feel uncomfortable. It's a slider food for me. It slides on through and pretty soon, I'm thirsty again. It gets much better in the next few months, I promise. Stay the course.