Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Ever Have A Diet Soda Again?

For safety, I guess avoid diet pepsi or you may try a little sip from it but it would be better to really avoid it at the moment.

JANNCS

I was just like you, super addicted to cokes. Atleast yours were diet. I was drinking reg coke all day. I actually contemplated not having my WLS because of no more cokes. After surgery I wanted one so bad. Finally about 3 weeks to a month out I tried one and it tasted gross and hurt my stomach. So waited a couple weeks and tried it again and same thing.... Now I don't even think about them anymore. Good luck I am sure you will do great

JANNCS

I was just like you' date=' super addicted to cokes. Atleast yours were diet. I was drinking reg coke all day. I actually contemplated not having my WLS because of no more cokes. After surgery I wanted one so bad. Finally about 3 weeks to a month out I tried one and it tasted gross and hurt my stomach. So waited a couple weeks and tried it again and same thing.... Now I don't even think about them anymore. Good luck I am sure you will do great[/quote']

I am a DR. Pepper addict!!!! Lol. Fully leaded w/all the sugar and caffeine. Has to be full of fizz too. Lord have mercy I am so addicted!!! I say am cause I haven't stopped drinking them yet? As of yesterday I started adding other stuff to drink and decreasing the Dr. Pepper. I have set a date of Dec 1st no more Dr. P. I am so anxious about it. I have always said I have Dr pepper in my veins not blood. Lol. Never drink anything but Dr. Pepper. And honestly I too thought about not doing the surgery because of having to quit drinking. Or fear of not being able to quit. BUT I am gonna do this. I am gonna have the surgery. I am gonna be Happy_Healthy_and_Terrific!!!!! I have committed to stop drinking them totally forever because I will not drink diet, and I can't drink it like they suggest flat. And no soda's are good for you regular or diet.

Mourning Dr. Pepper!!!! Boo hoo!!!! Lmao!!!!

I am gonna do this!!!!

I am a DR. Pepper addict!!!! Lol. Fully leaded w/all the sugar and caffeine. Has to be full of fizz too. Lord have mercy I am so addicted!!! I say am cause I haven't stopped drinking them yet? As of yesterday I started adding other stuff to drink and decreasing the Dr. Pepper. I have set a date of Dec 1st no more Dr. P. I am so anxious about it. I have always said I have Dr pepper in my veins not blood. Lol. Never drink anything but Dr. Pepper. And honestly I too thought about not doing the surgery because of having to quit drinking. Or fear of not being able to quit. BUT I am gonna do this. I am gonna have the surgery. I am gonna be Happy_Healthy_and_Terrific!!!!! I have committed to stop drinking them totally forever because I will not drink diet' date=' and I can't drink it like they suggest flat. And no soda's are good for you regular or diet.

Mourning Dr. Pepper!!!! Boo hoo!!!! Lmao!!!!

I am gonna do this!!!![/quote']

Hahaha you sound just like me. But I have lost 120 pounds in 3.5 months so that's way better then cokes to me. But I know how you feel. Good luck and let me know how you do

Hahaha you sound just like me. But I have lost 120 pounds in 3.5 months so that's way better then cokes to me. But I know how you feel. Good luck and let me know how you do

That is awesome!!! Congratulations I know you have to ecstatic. I can't even imagine right now. It still all seems so unreal. I have this horrible fear I will go through the surgery and fail. Not lose the wgt!!!! Omg I dunno what I would do. That would make me crazy!!!! Lol. Anyway you are doing amazing. Keep it up. You are an inspiration to me.

I would highly recommend "NO" and try to use this time when you're changing your eating habits to alter your drinking habits as well. This is the best time to kick soda habits - regular or diet. For me, soda has absolutely NO NUTRIATIVE VALUE AT ALL and is a waste of my body's energy and resources to try to digest. Many researchers and doctors believe, from recent studies, that artificial sweeteners are in general highly addictive, especially for people attached to their diet sodas. In some cases, the brain is just as "lit up" as someone addicted to heroin or cocaine!

View this two part Dr. Oz episode to learn more.

However, I believe all this in observant moderation are "OK" and that we shouldn't deny ourselves of OCCASIONAL treats once you're further out. For now, the carbonation is definitely not good for the healing stomach and if it's not on your doctor or dietician's plan -- don't do it.

Best in health!

My understanding of drinking soda be it diet or regular is the carbonation is NOT good for the sleeve, it causes it to expand and can stretch it out if it is a routine drink. Also on newly sleeved it causes tummy troubles from all the bubbles in the carbonation. I have not had had my surgery yet but I feel ya, I have recently quit drinking my crack..... oh I mean Diet Pepsi and I want one on a hourly basis but I'm quitting now so hopefully I will be over my addiction to my Diet Pepsi before surgery. I wish you the best of luck in your journey :}

I'm fighting the same battle...I'm not a coffee drinker so first thing in the morning I'm reaching for my cold, bubbly diet pepsi, and grimacing at the burn with the first gulp! I know how bad it is for me, but don't want to give it up yet. I've gotten myself down to 1-2 a day (down from 3-4) and hope to be completely away from it by my surgery in February!

I was told that carbonation on occasion at six months is ok. Not prior as it's not good for a healing tummy (and your tummy is not healed at a few weeks out). I don't care so much for soda, though I do like one on occasion, but we are wine collectors and I used to drink champagne weekly at worst :) I love champagne and don't care if it has nutritional value :P I think there are many wonderful things in life without nutritional value...and enjoy experiencing them IN MODERATION! So, at six months I will have a glass of champs on occasion if I would like to. :) And given it's carbonation in moderation...I'll take the champs over soda any day LOL

Gin and tonic though on a hot hot summer day....ya that will happen as well :)

Don't do it, find something else you like and indulge there, the carbonation is so bad for sleeve. Once it's stretched there is nothing the doctor can really do as you are already at 85% stomach loss. If you like the taste let it go flat then drink it but please don't jeopardize your sleeve.

I'm 5 months post op and still can't handle more than 2 sips of diet cola or any carbonated drink, which is a good thing, cause I was so addicted to it before, but now thank God I'm over it :)

NO I asked the same question here as well I got that same response NOoooo it does expand your stomach we didn't all go threw this for nothing right? All the best on your journey. :)))))

I'm cutting out diet coke from my diet even pre surgery (had been trying to get pregnant then decided surgery was the best route for me) and I've been drinking diet root beer, sprite zero & ginger ale (still bubbles). A non carbonated alternative I've found very yummy is Lipton iced tea mix- where I live they have a sugar free raspberry and sugar free lemon variety. In the grocery store usually in the tea/coffee section, bottom or top shelf. Also some fast food places are adding these Coke Freestyle machines that give you over 150 drink choices including lots of calorie free options- I love the Minute Maid light strawberry lemonade! No carbonation, very minimal calories, and it tastes like Red Robin's strawberry lemonade. Also Mio flavours are very helpful with Water drinking, dansani has just come out with a few flavours too including pineapple coconut (aka piña colada) - humm...I wonder if I could throw in a few drops of rum extract in that and have myself a mini vacation? Gotta try that!

I'm sorry to have to say this....but why is it so important to have soda pop? It doesn't kill you to never drink it. There are plenty of other options that are way better for your health than pop.