Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Ever Have A Diet Soda Again?

I drink diet cola but add Water. This takes out most of the gas but if you judge it right you can leave a bit of a tingle. Satisfies the craving and does not give any stomach pain.

Everyone is different. The great thing about this surgery is you don't have to completely deprive yourself of things you want. At least not forever. You just have to be smart about it.

For the first six months at least, you should avoid any and all carbonation. On my 6 month anniversary I happened to be at a baseball game so I decided to have a beer to Celebrate. I learned real quick that it was too soon. One sip hurt.

A little while later I tried diet soda and it was fine. I drink it without ice, and from fountain instead of bottle. I find the fountain has less concentrated carbonation.

Diet soda isn't great for you but that's not news. I'm a believer in not depriving yourself completely of things you want. That's why fad diets fail. Just be smart about it and don't force it. If it doesn't feel right going down give yourself more time to heal before trying again.

I'm sorry to have to say this....but why is it so important to have soda pop? It doesn't kill you to never drink it. There are plenty of other options that are way better for your health than pop.

That's kinda obvious, but a lot of people, myself included have a hard time letting go of things that have been habits for years and years. Sure there is little nutritional value in soda. But isn't always as simple as just quitting something cold turkey. Habits and food addictions are difficult and not as easily dismissed as saying "why is it important?" I myself, like many here was a huge diet soda drinker. I stopped as soon as I went full on pre-op. That's been a little over 2 months now, and yes, I would like to have a soda. But I also know that the benefits out weigh the rewards of drinking it. Is it easy? no it isn't but I am learning to cope and I may at some point try to sip one. We all have our demons when it comes to food otherwise, we wouldn't be how we are and we wouldn't be on this board. Healthy habits have to be learned just as the bad habits were learned. Some of us learn easy, some don't but in the end, we should all pick the path that works the best for us. :)

Technically there is no nutritional value in tea either but we don't ingest everything for nutritional value alone. Sometimes we want something that satisfies us... good or bad. Be careful with carbonation.

Add me to the people finally broke down and had some coke zero but decided the painful bubbles weren't worth it.

There's no nutritional value in a cigarette either and I'd punch someone in the face for one right now! I feel like I want something but not hungry...ate half a lemon muffin...not craving sweets...it's stupid cigarettes! It will pass....but it's been a tough day! I ordered a non nicotine ecig to get me past these days! I have no desire to smoke again, really. I am embarrassed I smelled like that for so many years!

There's no nutritional value in a cigarette either and I'd punch someone in the face for one right now! I feel like I want something but not hungry...ate half a lemon muffin...not craving sweets...it's stupid cigarettes! It will pass....but it's been a tough day! I ordered a non nicotine ecig to get me past these days! I have no desire to smoke again, really. I am embarrassed I smelled like that for so many years!

Hang in there. I quit smoking 8 years ago on the billionth try. It is one of the hardest things ever ( I used chantix). Have you tried sunflower seeds to help with the needing to do something with your hands feeling? This is a hard night for me to. I'm still on liquids (post op) and my husband decided to fix ribs and all the trimmings. SERIOUSLY want to give him a ball thump right now! I swear this is the first time he has cooked in 6 months.

My surgeon has a different opinion on this. She is fine with diet sodas after 6 to 8 weeks. They do recommend letting it sit over ice a little bit. But they say that it won't stretch out the stomach. The carbonation will try to leave ( if there is too much) the easy way. Stretching of the stomach is not the easiest way. It will come back up either thru burps or spitting up. They do recommend giving it up because the artificial sweetener in it can cause sugar cravings.

Diet soda is bad for you for so many reasons. I quit diet coke/coke zero and haven't looked back. Quitting completely stopped my headaches/migraines. I am 5 months out and don't miss it a bit. Remember that addiction to diet soda is in your head and your body can definitely do without it. Plus, the carbonation stuff is true. Makes you feel really crappy.

Diet soda is bad for you for so many reasons. I quit diet coke/coke zero and haven't looked back. Quitting completely stopped my headaches/migraines. I am 5 months out and don't miss it a bit. Remember that addiction to diet soda is in your head and your body can definitely do without it. Plus' date=' the carbonation stuff is true. Makes you feel really crappy.[/quote']

So when you wake up and take a big swig in the morning and get that glorious burn all the way down...that's in my head? I don't think so...I have quit and Water does taste better when you're off pop, but I will miss the morning burn!

So when you wake up and take a big swig in the morning and get that glorious burn all the way down...that's in my head? I don't think so...I have quit and Water does taste better when you're off pop, but I will miss the morning burn!

The glorious burn? I was talking about the addiction aspects, in relation to the psychological desire for soda. The physical addiction is to caffeine and aspartame (if it contains it). I guess I didn't drink enough to know what the glorious burn is. :)

I am soooooo wanting a diet pepsi. Can I ever drink one again. I am three weeks out. Please someone tell me its okay.

I think you know the answer to that! You need liquids and Protein and neither diet or reg soft drinks will count as either. The answer is no, according to every bariatric doctor I've heard about. My doctor said absolutely no about anything except sodas. What does YOUR doctor say?

For going on almost three years now, I start every day....and end every day with ice cold skim milk. A cup, 8 oz.....8 grams of Protein. I keep 6 - 8 small, real glass drinking glasses in my freezer. When I say ice cold, I am serious!!! This should be your new morning drink!!! It's good!

Drinking calories is not good. You have to weigh what's important to you. I predict anyone who cannot do without soft drinks will have problems reaching goal and staying there. When I read about these addictions, I swear, I haven't heard anything worse when someone's on TV talking about drug or alcohol addiction. It just seems to me that something like that needs to be handled prior to surgery.

I stopped smoking back in the 90's. I smoked a pack a day for about ten years. If I can stop smoking....and rest assured, it was the hardest thing I'd ever done, surely, no cokes or dr. peppers forever is possible.