Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Dont Hear Much About Dr. Almanza Anymore........

Thanks never been to Mexico. I would be very nervous and scared. He offers a package which sounds great. Waiting for my insurance company hopefully all goes well...

Just remember... Research. Research. Research.

Amanda Rae

You can research research research hire the very best Dr and still be the complication. It is a risk of every surgery. If you find a Dr that has never had complication of their patients then you need to do more research on that Dr. All Drs have patients that have complications it is all part of having surgeries that is why the Dr should tell you about the complications before you make a decision to have any surgery

Hello my name is amber i am 19 years old i been overweight nearly my whole life. Ive been considering this surgery for a while now but didnt have the money im on my own with a job and looking for more info im trying to pay the least i have nobody's help. I have UNITED HEALTHCARE im from Houston tx. Does any body know if they offer coverage and what is the best & cheapest doc i can see? Any advice? Thanks

Thanks you all!!!

Thanks you all!!!

You're welcome...

Research! ;-)

Amanda Rae

I'm starting to get really nervous. Why are people not using Almanza anymore.

Hi

not sure if this post is supper old and ur already sleeved but if Dr. Almanza does trn surherys per day 5 days a week and peoe complain he does to many. I was surprised when I got here beacuse of how many people were here for surgery and non were on this board! Idk

AshleySkinnyer PortlandOR

Hi

not sure if this post is supper old and ur already sleeved but if Dr. Almanza does trn surherys per day 5 days a week and peoe complain he does to many. I was surprised when I got here beacuse of how many people were here for surgery and non were on this board! Idk

AshleySkinnyer PortlandOR

You have to understand that Dr. Almanza provides a service at the lowest price. That in itself is going to attract a lot of people. Many people are willing to endure many inconveniences & overlook many imperfections to save a few bucks.

An extra $1000 to some is a very considerable burden. So I can assure you he will never suffer from a lack of patients.

I have yet to see anybody say that he is an incompetent surgeon, the complaints are more about lack of service, discomfort with the environment, and the facilities being perceived as inadequate.

He is still in business' date=' and still has the recovery house. I too here he is a great surgeon, and considered him as my surgeon until I found the Santa Fe Medical Group. Dr. Sergio Quinones is their surgeon, and he was fabulous. I had heard a number of wonderful stories from patients of Almanza's, I simply wasn't comfortable with the volume of surgeries that he was willing to do a day. The funny thing with him, is that I was sleeve in Oct of 2012, I still to this day get calls, emails and text messages from them wanting me to book my surgery with him...one thing is for certain, they are persistent![/quote']

No recovery house. That is gone. It's recovery at a hotel now, like several other surgeons from TJ. I say this as someone who was there less than a month ago.

i was contacted from dr almanza's coordinator asking me i i want plastics and confirming hotel ticuan and no recovery house.....i will not be going back there though.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Why won't you go back to them, if you don't mind my asking?

b/c i do not like the ideal of not having medical on site and/or having to make 2 trips to the clinic per day for meds, etc. plus when i began complications - i called them - just like the paperwork requests us to do and they said "call tomorrow" and then when we kept calling back- they ignored the calls and would not pick up the phone. i left messages for my coordinators and they, too, only called me 4 months later to see if i was happy with my surgery. my doctors here were unable to contact them, too. one of the main complications was a splenic infarct, vagus nerve was cut or damaged and a subclinical leak. 5 weeks in the hospital and i was sleeved 7-24-12. as i sit here with my feeding tube running (backpack modified - i am not stuck at home), i do not regret choosing mexico - i needed to lose 65-70# and not heavy enough or any co-morbidities for kaiser. i know that i will get better.every day is different.i still rest-nap every afternoon pretty much. with the TPN with my PICC line and now formula - i weigh 151....and at a big stall i know the lat 10-15# will come off. just slower than i wanted.. i lost 20# in 13 days then got sick. no cardio yet - new feeding tube 3 weeks ago (2 nite in hosp.) and i throw up fluids and any food that i get down.small steps count though!!!!!! i hope you are doing well and have success in your journey! sorry for the long post.

b/c i do not like the ideal of not having medical on site and/or having to make 2 trips to the clinic per day for meds' date=' etc. plus when i began complications - i called them - just like the paperwork requests us to do and they said "call tomorrow" and then when we kept calling back- they ignored the calls and would not pick up the phone. i left messages for my coordinators and they, too, only called me 4 months later to see if i was happy with my surgery. my doctors here were unable to contact them, too. one of the main complications was a splenic infarct, vagus nerve was cut or damaged and a subclinical leak. 5 weeks in the hospital and i was sleeved 7-24-12. as i sit here with my feeding tube running (backpack modified - i am not stuck at home), i do not regret choosing mexico - i needed to lose 65-70# and not heavy enough or any co-morbidities for kaiser. i know that i will get better.every day is different.i still rest-nap every afternoon pretty much. with the TPN with my PICC line and now formula - i weigh 151....and at a big stall i know the lat 10-15# will come off. just slower than i wanted.. i lost 20# in 13 days then got sick. no cardio yet - new feeding tube 3 weeks ago (2 nite in hosp.) and i throw up fluids and any food that i get down.small steps count though!!!!!! i hope you are doing well and have success in your journey! sorry for the long post.[/quote']

Sending healing vibes your way. I'm sorry you've had such complications. *hug*

b/c i do not like the ideal of not having medical on site and/or having to make 2 trips to the clinic per day for meds' date=' etc. plus when i began complications - i called them - just like the paperwork requests us to do and they said "call tomorrow" and then when we kept calling back- they ignored the calls and would not pick up the phone. i left messages for my coordinators and they, too, only called me 4 months later to see if i was happy with my surgery. my doctors here were unable to contact them, too. one of the main complications was a splenic infarct, vagus nerve was cut or damaged and a subclinical leak. 5 weeks in the hospital and i was sleeved 7-24-12. as i sit here with my feeding tube running (backpack modified - i am not stuck at home), i do not regret choosing mexico - i needed to lose 65-70# and not heavy enough or any co-morbidities for kaiser. i know that i will get better.every day is different.i still rest-nap every afternoon pretty much. with the TPN with my PICC line and now formula - i weigh 151....and at a big stall i know the lat 10-15# will come off. just slower than i wanted.. i lost 20# in 13 days then got sick. no cardio yet - new feeding tube 3 weeks ago (2 nite in hosp.) and i throw up fluids and any food that i get down.small steps count though!!!!!! i hope you are doing well and have success in your journey! sorry for the long post.[/quote']

This sounds terrible! I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. It's kind of funny how they were calling my phone, and my moms phone on a daily basis trying to get us to book with them, but when someone needs them, they avoid the calls. I hate to hear that you were treated this way. As soon as they were told you were having complications, they should have been right on it. Unfortunately, this isn't the first story like this that I've read about that place. Some people love him and the facility, others don't. I hope that you start feeling better soon :) keep us updated!!