Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port incision infection

Hi everyone. I was just banded on 10/2 and went into my surgeon's office today because I noticed my port incision was seeping some yellow Fluid. The good news is that my incision is not infection - yet. My surgeon actually opened up my wound so whatever needed to drain could drain. I am under strict instructions to keep it covered and not go to any public places over the weekend. He wants me to come back in on Monday and he'll take another peak at it. He also said while there is no infection, this does not mean that one won't develop. I have about a 30% chance of developing an infection he said.

So I was curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, or a port incision infection? How did it turn out? I'm trying not to freak out about this, but I am really nervous.

Thank you!

Chris

Chrispygal, incision infection can happen with any type of surgery. It's not uncommon and as long as it's caught quickly and treated appropriately it isn't necessarily anything to worry about. It sounds like your doctor has a good grip on the situation and is taking good care of you. Now YOU take care and follow his instructions to the letter, and you'll be fine. :biggrin1:

Congratulations on your banding and good luck with your healing!

My surgeon also warned that it's normal to have some yellow steepage (although I had none) -- because the fat liquifies from the heat of the laproscopic instruments and will come out of the wound.

Hope that you don't get an infection!

Wow, very interesting Christy. What's a little more interesting is that he called it a little case of fat necrosis for now. My friend's mom has fat necrosis, which is basically fat cells that are dying. hmmm...

The good news is that again this morning the incision looks better, and I didn't have too much draining yesterday. The incision is not as red around the edges, so that is very encouraging.

I'll let you know what the Dr says tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

When I went in for my first fill at 6 weeks and the nurse stuck the needle in a ton of yellowish Fluid gushed out. She said it was no problem and I just kept it clean and it's been fine.

Chrispy I'm sorry to hear about your scare and I'm hoping that you don't have an infection you're one of my october sisters and I wish you well! Keep us posted after the Doc appt.

Good news! I saw the doctor today and he said everything looks great. As scary as it was, him opening it up and letting it drain really did do the trick. Thank you all for the well wishes and support!

I had the same thing happen to me. took me about 7 week for it to close up and now and now i have no draining from my port. and i thought it was infected too but he said no nothing to worry about just keep it clean and it will stop when its ready to stop and it will close as long as u take care of it...and it did..

Texasbrat

Banned Sept 1st

1st fill 3 cc

281 highest

245 as of date

Good to hear texasbrat. Did you clean w/hydrogen peroxide or anything? Right now I am just keeping it covered and the surgeon put on new steri strips when he opened it, and I've kept them on there.

yes i clean it with hydrogen peroxide it help dryed it out. but they didnt put steri strips back on it, we just covered it up so that way it would soke up anything that was draining.. cause that stuff loves to get on your clothes lol.... and that sucks. just keep doing what you are doing and i am sure it will close up like i said mind just closed up about a weekago. so i have no more draining but its still healing !!!!