Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Recommendations

So we all will go out to eat at one time or another. What are some tasty dishes you've found that are good for sleevers?

I just went to Longhorn Steakhouse with my MIL. One of their dishes is a flat ironed steak. Get it with a salad and steamed broccoli and you can have 2+ healthy meals out of it.

What do you guys recommend?

Seared Ahi tuna and edamame with hot green tea.

Seared Ahi tuna and edamame with hot green tea.

From what restaurant?

From what restaurant?

Just about any Japanese, many steak houses, and fusion restaurants have these things. I doubt you have the same restaurants in Virginia as I do in my part of the country, but I did a quick search.

http://www.thaifoodsmithfieldva.com/

Their edamame is $4.00, miso Soup is $1.75, tuna tataki is $8.00 (you can request it seared if it is not already prepared that way.

I typically avoid chain restaurants (always have) but Chili's has some great lighter choices. Their grilled salmon is pretty good - and makes 3 servings (2 oz each). Check out their nutrition facts on their website.

Shrimp cocktail is always a good choice - easy on the cocktail sauce if you're watching carbs.

When I order a steak, I always request that it be prepared without butter or other oils. Same with veggies.

You can get grilled chicken almost anywhere. If I go to a nicer restaurant when they aren't busy, I'll ask to talk to the chef. I'll explain that I'm eating low carb, low fat, high Protein - many times they'll prepare something special for you. I don't usually mention portion size as it's often difficult for them to determine how to charge for "weird" portions. I just take some home.

If I'm going out after dinner, I take some of those things you put in the freezer to keep things cold along with me so I don't have to throw away the left overs......

Takes a little planning, but not too bad once you get into the habit.

Getting there - what a great idea for leftovers! Haha, you can learn stuff even after a couple of years on this forum :-) I will be taking my little cooler in the car with the ice pack when we go to coast for dinner.

Lynda

I don't go in for fast food, but sometimes it is all there is. Wendy's has tasty chili that isn't too bad nutritionally.

really depends where I go , most places have a health concious fish/ chicken or beef. I forgo the noodles, rice and potatoes and get steamed vegies. if I am confused then i order Soup that never fails me. lol i have even order a burger with no bun and ate 1/4 of it with the yummy pickles and ketchup mustard. didnt even miss the bun... lol.

I love going to Panera for their lemon chicken Soup though it isn't on the menu all of the time.

I keep a note in my phone of my local restaurants and what I can eat at each. I did this by looking up the nutritional information and examining fat, Protein and carbs for different items on the menu. There really is no other way to know unless you just guess or the nutritional information is published on the menu when you get there.

For example, I know that if I go to Ruby Tuesday's, I have a list of about 5 "very safe" items and a few others that are "pretty good." The white bean chicken chili with 300 calories has a fantastic 24g of Protein, but 37g of carbs. I would order that only depending on what else I had that day, or if I knew I wanted to order it at supper, I would plan my food for the day to have a lower number of carbs. The chicken noodle soup has 180 calories with 9g protein, 9g fat and 18g carbs. There are also several sharable appetizers that I have already screened that are ok for me to have. Since I already have these listed in my phone, it is easy to have the information ready to enter into myfitnesspal.com

I keep a note in my phone of my local restaurants and what I can eat at each. I did this by looking up the nutritional information and examining fat, Protein and carbs for different items on the menu.

Great idea!

Applebee's has a whole section under 550 calories. Restaurants in Canada are just getting with the calorie info program! Getting sleeved on Tuesday!

Applebee's has a whole section under 550 calories. Restaurants in Canada are just getting with the calorie info program! Getting sleeved on Tuesday!

I love the peppercorn steak they have on their 550 menu. It's delish!

Good luck with the sleeve. Wishing you a smooth surgery and a quick recovery!

Red Lobster for grilled or broiled shrimp & fish. Yummy! We ask the waiter to only bring 2 rolls. I break off 1/4 of one and give the rest to my husband.

I can easily get 2+ meals out of a restaurant meal.