Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I also go to the surgery center and have had 2 fills. The first one didn't absorb, but I had lost fat from my stomach, so the band loosened. I don't know why I'm not restricted with the second one. Going for a third. sigh.

I think it has to do with the powder settling in the area that food goes through and causing problems. I am not sure?

I am only allowed to have liquid Protein Drinks unless they are hot like a cocoa one but those only have 15 grams and that is not enough.

I get Protein from food but I drink one shake a day for Vitamins and I just asked cause I saw so many here do the Liquid Protein.

I remember from when I used to drink them on my own the powders left powder in the bottom and I have paid attention and the liquids do not do that. So who knows? I guess what it comes down to is if I follow his instructions he backs up his work and if I don't I can not blame him. LOL

Who knows he is a great doc but anyway I just wondered if any other docs had said anything like this or if everyone else except me can have powder Proteins maybe I will start a thread and ask this ?

I think it has to do with the powder settling in the area that food goes through and causing problems. I am not sure?

I am only allowed to have liquid Protein Drinks unless they are hot like a cocoa one but those only have 15 grams and that is not enough.

I get Protein from food but I drink one shake a day for Vitamins and I just asked cause I saw so many here do the Liquid Protein.

I remember from when I used to drink them on my own the powders left powder in the bottom and I have paid attention and the liquids do not do that. So who knows? I guess what it comes down to is if I follow his instructions he backs up his work and if I don't I can not blame him. LOL

Who knows he is a great doc but anyway I just wondered if any other docs had said anything like this or if everyone else except me can have powder Proteins maybe I will start a thread and ask this ?

Many things are "powdered" at one point. For instance, instant non-fat dry milk, pudding, Jello, etc. Once they are mixed with liquid, they're form changes and they are no longer dry.

To me, the critical thing to do is to listen to the medical staff that each indivdual deals with. If you're doctor/nutritionist is saying not to use a powdered protein, then you probably shouldn't use it since you have to deal with them. My nutritionist actually includes several recipes that do include Protein Powder. When I make pudding, I add both powdered non-fat milk AND protein powder to up the protein of the pudding. Knock on wood, I've not had any complications from it's use nor have I experienced any Hair loss which is a side-effect of low protein levels. (Of course, I didn't have much hair to lose anyway, but the three hairs I started with are still firmly attached. <G>)

Tom

Many things are "powdered" at one point. For instance, instant non-fat dry milk, pudding, Jello, etc. Once they are mixed with liquid, they're form changes and they are no longer dry.

To me, the critical thing to do is to listen to the medical staff that each indivdual deals with. If you're doctor/nutritionist is saying not to use a powdered Protein, then you probably shouldn't use it since you have to deal with them. My nutritionist actually includes several recipes that do include protein powder. When I make pudding, I add both powdered non-fat milk AND protein powder to up the protein of the pudding. Knock on wood, I've not had any complications from it's use nor have I experienced any Hair loss which is a side-effect of low protein levels. (Of course, I didn't have much hair to lose anyway, but the three hairs I started with are still firmly attached. <G>)

Tom

I agree with you Tom on the powdered protein. That physician seems to be the only one I am aware of who has that rule. Imagine...all others all over the world who band have patients use powdered protein. He probably had ONE pt. who had problems and now wants to avoid a lawsuit. Just make sure the protein is belnded very well and with enough liquid if you are on a liquid stage. I also add Benefiber to my Protein Shakes since there is not enough Fiber when you are banded. It dissolves well so you don't even know it is there.

Well...I think it is time for my first fill...I have beens tuck at 198 now for almost 2 weeks and having ttrouble staying there. I am also eating larger portions and feel hungry. So mid February I will head to MX for my first fill...I hope I will only need one. I hate needles!:faint: I know I am in Medicine.... but that is one reason it is Natural Medicine...NO needles!

Thanks for the Protein ideas! I'm going to keep working on coming up with ways to get it in. I'm handling anywhere from 2 oz to 4 oz of liquid at one time.

Hi Inner ME!

When I was on liquids I also made chicken Soup and cooked it until the chicken was so soft it almost dissolved! Skinless chicken by the way. Then I would blend it to a consistency I could drink with a straw...yummy! They say if you can drink it through a straw you can have it as a liquid. I would also add different spices each time I would blend a portion so I would not get bored. On occassion I added unflavored protein to it if I needed more protein.

hi fellow november bandsters...

i just wanted to update you on my progress. i just had my second fill last friday and i am now at 5cc in my vg band. i think i have found the sweet spot!! i sure hope it stays that way. i can eat very little. i just went to mcdonalds for lunch and i ate 4 fries and 5 itty bitty bites of a cheese burger and thought i was going to die from being so stuffed. i got that eyes watering, slimy feeling and knew i was full. it passed in about 10 minutes and i didnt pb. i only eat solid foods, no Protein Shakes or Soups as my doctor said the liquid meals defeat the purpose of the band. so i guess as long as the solid food eventually goes down i wont starve to death. i actually am never hungry...it been wonderful to know this band may work after all!! --- i will eat soups only if i go out with a group of people - i dont want to be in pain eating in front of alot of people at a resturant - they think i am going to die and want to do the himelick manuver on me!!

Kim---Congratulations on finding your sweet spot! Dont get discouraged if it alters, b/c fills can be like that! I had a "sweet spot" for a while and now I think I need another fill!

I am needing some advice from everyone here....I just had my first fill last week and I have absolutely no restriction and have the same appetite i did before the band. Now i know it is up to me to make the right food choices but isnt the band supposed to help control my portion intake? Should I call my doctor? Has anyone experience no restriction after their first fill, I need some advice I am seriously bummed out here....Especially since I cleared out my savings to pay for this surgery....Thanks

I really can relate to what you are going through and I have read from a variety of other people that they also experience the same. Sometimes it can take a few fills, even up to five to receive the restriction that you are really looking for, some call it the "sweet spot." After I received my first fill my doc. told me to expect to eat about a cup of food per meal, when I can eat about twice as that, but it is still less than I was eating pre-op. I have to remind myself that this is a process...and the process includes a variety of fills. Try not to feel discouraged, you will lose weight, you will not fail, and it will be worth it! Hang in there! :huggie:

I really can relate to what you are going through and I have read from a variety of other people that they also experience the same. Sometimes it can take a few fills, even up to five to receive the restriction that you are really looking for, some call it the "sweet spot." After I received my first fill my doc. told me to expect to eat about a cup of food per meal, when I can eat about twice as that, but it is still less than I was eating pre-op. I have to remind myself that this is a process...and the process includes a variety of fills. Try not to feel discouraged, you will lose weight, you will not fail, and it will be worth it! Hang in there! :huggie:

Great advice, Cassandra....and it was good to hear from you! You have been kinda quiet lately, and I was starting to get worried about you. How are you doing in BandLand and do you have a wedding date set?

Karen

I felt restriction with my first fill that was on Jan 6th but now don't feel as much restriction at all. I think the saline moves around in my band because I went to dinner with a girlfriend last Fri night and was just sipping tortilla Soup and started to feel clogged and had to go in the bathroom and get rid of the Fluid not going threw. What I have learned from all the different testimonies is that your first fill can just absorb in your band and not give you the tight feeling you wanted so you have to just go try again. Most Dr's like to wait a certain period of time in between the fills. Considering we have to pay for each fill it can be discouraging and hard on the bank account. Try to add more protien to keep yourself feeling full until your next fill. Keep a bottle of Water with you and just drink it as much as you can to help you feel full also. Good luck and take it one day at a time. Don't forget the exercise because it will help you mentally and physically to be in a good place.

The dissapearing fill....a mystery. I went for my second fill early this month. Didn't feel any additional restriction. Supposedly that should have brought me up to 1.5cc. So I scheduled another fill. I went in and she pulled out only .5cc (my first fill amount)....so where'd the other fill go??? It's a mystery. However, I now have about 1.6cc...and I am definately feeling a difference, but I'm stuck in a rut with the weightloss...nothing lost for about 4 weeks. The dr's scales says differently of course! FRUSTRATING!

Anyone ever notice how close the two words are? The devil HAD to invent exercise! :omg:

I had my orientation at the fitness center at work this evening and will begin regular work-outs. The trainer walked me through all of the machines so I knew how they worked (not that I'll remember it!) and set up a plan for me. I'm to go a minimum of 2 times a week. I'm to do a 15 minute warm up on a cardio machine (treadmill, rower, elipital, recumbent bike, stair climber, etc.), a set of 12 on 5 different machines, 10-15 minutes of cardio, another set of 12 on the 5 different machines followed by a 5 minute cool-down. Once a week the machines are for the lower body, the other time for upper body. I can go as many additional times as I want and use the cardio machines. We went through and found the comfortable weights and settings for all the machines so I know where to start each time.

The trainer was very interested in the band process and was very encouraging. I told her my main goal was to tone up so that I didn't have flabby skin. She said she didn't see any but I told her the flabby areas were all covered. ;-) Several of the cardio machines had where you set your age/weight, etc. and she kept setting the age at 34. I figured that was a default. She then showed me a chart to know when my heart rate is in the target range and I told her I was 43. She didn't believe me. Not sure if she's just a sweet talker or what, but I'll go back! :heh:

Tom

HI all, I'm doing my 3rd fill in 2 days. I'm hoping to find my sweet spot too. It's a weird process, isn't it. Sometimes i feel really restricted and other times i feel i can eat like any non banded or "the others".........as i like to call them.:heh: Oh well, I'm enjoying the process. One thing that bugs me is "the others" asking how much have i lost or are you feeling ok? I shouldn't have told everyone i was getting banded. Live n Learn.