Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All my adult life I have dealt with stressful situations by grabbing something to snack on, a cigarette, and a glass if wine. But now that I have given up all my vices I seem to be at a loss. This last week has been horrible. Have had some horrible things happen in my family. And all I can do lately is cry. Any suggestions?

Take a walk, call a friend, take deep breaths, take a bath. Try meditation. I just saw something on fb. I'm going make myself a fridge magnet. "Don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog."

Take a walk' date=' call a friend, take deep breaths, take a bath. Try meditation. I just saw something on fb. I'm going make myself a fridge magnet. "Don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog."[/quote']

Thanks! I like that quote!! I guess I'm really just not dealing well with things.

I cried everyday for 2 weeks once I realized I couldn't eat for comfort. It got easier for me and in a way it was a retraining of my mind and now I may drink a glass of Water or close my door and rest and usually that helps.

You're going to think I'm NUTSO, but go buy a coloring book and crayons. Good ones, too, not the cheap crayons!

Something about coloring pictures is so relaxing and therapeutic. There are some really cool "adult" coloring books at most book stores. Mine is of stained glass.

Vigorous Exercise! It will help relax you and endorphines release and you will feel way better.

Vigorous Exercise! It will help relax you and endorphines release and you will feel way better.

I wish I felt up to "vigorous" exercise. I'm just three weeks out today and walking about 2.5 miles a day and that has me beat!! But hopefully soon I will be back in the gym!! Thanks for the ideas!!

I started crafting. I make wreaths, hairbows, all kinds if things I find on Pintrest. Keeps my fingers busy and my mind occupied.

I might get into video games and play while my baby is away in school lol. On a serious note pray when you feel this way as well as suggestions mentioned.

2013 is my year....SD 11/19 Methodist Hosp in NY

search for "Deepak Chopra" on youtube he has such good meditation exercises, it is very helpful and relaxing... instead of feeding your stomach, feed your spirit.. :) goodluck.. :)

I always do a little happy dance when I see posts like this. So much of this forum is devoted to the practical side of things (how much to eat, what to eat, when to eat, how to deal with stalls). Far less often do we hear from people dealing with emotional or psychological issues. So when I see one, I go "UGOGIRL".

My advice? Are you sitting down, mcwestfam?

Find a counsellor or therapist or psychologist. <gasp!> Yes, seriously.

We've got the physical bases covered with our surgeon, nutritionist, etc. Why not cover the emotional bases with a therapist or counsellor? Why do people so freely go see a PCP or dentist or eye doctor, but stop short of seeing a therapist?

Why do we have to get clearance from a pulmonologist, cardiologist, sleep study, and a 15 minute psych eval ... but then after the surgery, the psychological support isn't stressed? Don't you think a healthy attitude, a healthy mindset, and feeling free from emotional issues, is CRUCIAL to the success of this surgery?

Anyway, I SWEAR by my psychologist. He's been more helpful than the nutritionist ever was. He's seen many patients over the years who have had gastric surgery. He's listened to their issues and helped them work through them. Who better to help you deal with these emotional issues than someone TRAINED in understanding human behavior, and someone who's already worked with many other gastric surgery patients?

Don't knock it till you try it. There's nothing wrong with taking care of your mental wellbeing as much as you take care of your physical wellbeing.

Yes, I'm a psychology evangelist. I can go on if you like. I can even share some of my own issues that I've worked through via my psychologist. Just say the word.

You're going to think I'm NUTSO' date=' but go buy a coloring book and crayons. Good ones, too, not the cheap crayons!

Something about coloring pictures is so relaxing and therapeutic. There are some really cool "adult" coloring books at most book stores. Mine is of stained glass.[/quote']

My old boss used to do this when she needed to de- stress. And she was the director of mental health treatment services, so she must know a thing or two about it!!! Lol.

Thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions. Asking for help is something that's very difficult for me. And having all of your support is awesome!! And I think I probably will set up an appt with a psych. Just to have someone to talk to if nothing else. I'm pretty alone in this journey. Well, except for you guys :)