Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst Fears Came To Life

;) I am officially living every lapbanders worst fear.

I was banded on May 8th, and have done everything by the book. 64 oz of Water a day, exercising daily, eating healthly and the right # of meals.

As of the last time I got on the scale I only lost 10lbs. Ive been on the lupron injections every 3 months for another ongoing medical condition, and no matter what i cant stop them.

when i lost saw my gyn and surgeon they both said the same thing, the lupron's whats keeping the weight on.......... in the past ive had pbing episodes and now cant eat a lot of my favorite foods. i am sooooo grateful for losing the 10lbs that i lost, but i have 75 more to go and now im never going to see anything less than where i am...

i am so discouraged and heartbroken that i went through all of this, including surgical and post-op complications and everything else. I dont know if i want to kick and scream or just crawl into a ball and cry. i always heard ppl say thats their worst fear and theyd rather die than go through what i am and it makes it worse because i was one of those ppl.

Sorry about the venting i just had to get this out......

the biggest loser on lapband.

tabitha:think

I don't know what Lupron is...why do you have to take it? Maybe with some more info we could all put our heads together and maybe find a way to help you jump start some weight loss. If it is another health issue, it may have to be taken one step at a time. When I originally looked into the band, I was unable to follow through due to a cancer diagnosis. Following treatment, and surgery, I was not interested in doing anything to be honest except live! Then as time went on, the thoughts returned...and here I am. The point being, sometimes other health issues have to take the priority slot...but that doesn't mean it is permanent!

If you could let us know what else is going on, maybe we can help a little. I am sorry you feel like a loser, I don't sense that about you at all! I see someone battling more than one issue, and that is never easy!! Hang in there!!!

Kat

I have to agree with the last post! I know you are totally devistated right now, but you may just have to lose weight more slowly than other people who have been banded. I am a nurse and would love to hear why you are taking the Lupron and if you are going to be on in permanently. You've already lost 10 lbs with the medication, so you will be able to lose more. Try to stay positive and let us know more of what is going on so we can possibly help you.

I don't know what it is, or what it is for, but I understand your pain. It looks like all I'll lose with my band is 20 pounds. I have 60- 80 pounds about more to go, but until my Cushing's is cured, until my brain tumor is removed, that won't ever happen.

I'm so sorry for your pain and your frustration.

Lighter02, I'm so sorry for your frustrations. Did you know going in that you were going to be continuing with lupron? If weight gain or retention is a known side effect of that medication, banding wasn't ever going to have any impact on that.

Some people find out after banding that they have a medical condition causing their weight problem and have to address that. While that's frustrating for sure, banding still had an impact because if they hadn't been banded the medical condition might not ever have been found. So maybe you know something you didn't know before, and when/if that situation is addressed and you can remove that factor, the band will still be there waiting to help you control your caloric intake. And in the absence of other influences, that will always help someone lose weight.

The best of luck to you!

Hey Lighter02, don't freight. Lupron is such a strong drug, that you are only allowed to be on it a few months at a time. I'm not sure if your doctor told you that, that's what mine told me. So hopefully once you finish this cycle of lupron you will lose the weight. Is there a possiblity that you could switch to a different drug? I'm not sure what you are taking the Lupron for but i wish you the best of luck!

Hey everyone

sorry i haven't had a chance to write sooner, i work 3 jobs so its hard to find time. I have been continuously on the lupron for 4 yrs and with the consultion of 4 MDs I will probably be on it for a very long time. I have severe endometriosis and ovarian cysts to where i have had 2 laparoscopies, and debilitating pain to where i wouldn't be able to get up for days at a time. My periods would last for like 3 wks of non-stop heavy bleeding. for those whose who don't know its usually given w/ norethindrone- one as a HRT and one to lower your levels. I have literally tried every bc pill, patch, and ring out there and so far this is the only tx thats worked to give me a normal life.

Going into the sx I checked with my ob/gyn, my pcp, and my surgeon no one realized this would have any affect on me. ive had the same condition for 10 yrs only 8.5 w/ a dx. nobody told me that this would happen, and since it wont go away til i reach menopause, it going to be awhile since im only 21.

the only weight lose was original post op and its also because at about 1month-2 months out i had a long period of PBing episodes and wasn't eating alot, and then as it tapered so didn't my weightloss.

thanks for all the support i needed someone who would understand, my family just doenst understand and it doesnt help.

tabitha

Is this medication regime or the severity of your endometriosis going to affect your fertility?

I too had endometriosis, granted nowhere as severe as yours. I fought the idea of a hysterectomy for years. Finally uterine cancer took away my options, I had the hysterectomy....and my life improved in so many ways!!!

Now looking back I wish I had done it years ago, followed by the band years ago...it's that 20/20 hindsight!!!

Meanwhile, at least while you get a handle on the illness issues, the band will keep your eating in check, and stop any weight gain. Many times these type of things cause eating as a response to depression.

What type of exercise are you capable of doing at this point?

Can you think of any ways in which we can help you?

Let us know!!!

Kat

Hi Tabitha,

Please get a second opinion from another MD as to the need for Lupron. Maybe there is an alternative med you can use. Lupron by the way can cause ovarian cysts, and you have had these. Endometriosis can be treated with other meds....before Lupron there were other alternatives. It is also used for before fertility treament...losing weight can help one with all kinds of problems including gynecological ones. Make sure you drink purified Water and lean Protein. sublingual B6 B12 and folic acid very important for you and for any Bandster really since we cannot get enough enough through our diet..or most diets with so much junk food being consumed out there.

How old are you? There is one other thing which is somewhat different but it does work... it has to do with our mind... have you heard the saying be careful what you wish for??? Well there is truth in it. Subconsciouly we can make things happen or not happen....we can will our bodies to do many things including gain weight and/not lose it. Every morning and night write down a sentence or two that essentially say... I am losing weight and I am healthy. I hope some of this helps somewhow...don't give up, you can lose the weight!

Angela

Dr. A- naturopath/naturologist

Tabitha, where are you with the band? Have you had any fills? What kind of restriction do you have? PBing episodes don't necessarily indicate that your band is tight enough, sometimes it indicates that you're not eating slowly enough or small enough bites. The Lupron may be making it more difficult to lose the weight, but if you're not doing everything you can with the band (because of the Lupron) then you're selling yourself short.

I was banded at the Lawrence Memorial w/ Dr.Randall and hes done 3 fills already, Im due for another one in 2 wks. Im semi-restriceted but i still need my fills. the pbing stopped between the 1and and 2nd fill. they were actually from food i can no longer eat ie: certain veggies and meats.< /p>

I excercise a min of 45mins/day, eat 4 meals a day and get my fills as i need them. im following everything everyone has told me to do, but without the results. im trying so hard and nothing is working. ive even done some intermediate days of just liquids to try and jump start it w/out success. We also did diuretics for a while to see if that would help w/ the retention w/out any luck.

I was on steroids twice in the past two months and didn't lose a pound. I retained the usual Water and was hungry as a bear. It was depressing. If you can get off whatever you have to take, do it. Have surgery. Get rid of your uterus. I've been trying to get rid of my uterus for 20 years and still have the damn thing. I even had two of those incredibly painful uterine biopsy things where they don't give you any painkillers and zip, nada, nothing. The last time I had one of those, I swore that the next time any male doctor suggested such a thing, I'd say I would go home and get my pliers and he could go right ahead, but when I hurt, he was going to hurt worse. Male docs have some sort of thing about poking painful instruments up women. But I'm ranting. I will start my own rant about this. I hope you get better soon. Otherwise, discuss gastric bypass with your docs if you are fat enough. I don't think people who need to lose 30 pounds should go through all of this.

I realize you are 21 and probably don't want to lose your uterus at such a young age, but do your doctors hold any hope of you ever bearing children? With endometriosis and cysts severe enough that you have to be on Lupron for four years, I would wonder whether you will ever be able to conceive. If they assure you that you will be able to have children and you truly want biological children you are in a bit of a pickle. Are you married? Is this something you have thought about at this point? You may want to make the radical decision to have your uterus removed or have uterine ablation (they kill the lining of the uterus with heat). As far as I understand, they don't have to remove your ovaries and you would then have the alternative of surrogacy if you don't find that distasteful or against any religious beliefs. Otherwise, there is always adoption, not easy or cheap, but infertility treatments aren't either. I've been there. Ours was eventually successful (we have 8 year old triplets), but it took 5 LONG, HARD years and lots of time, money, physical discomfort and tears. Stacked against adoption, it's very much the same, except you don't have to put your body through hell for years first. Same outcome if you're lucky - you become a parent to a beautiful baby (or babies as the case may be).

Try another set of doctors to see if there are any alternative treatments/drugs, etc. without the side effects of Lupron. It's a nasty drug. Birth control pills usually are used to treat endometriosis fairly successfully. Perhaps yours is too severe. It's worth trying for another opinion, though. Remaining overweight won't help your fertility or your overall health. Perhaps you could try alternative treatments and suffer a little until the weight comes off and then start treating more aggressively again. Or try and on and off cycle. It may take longer and you may have to put up with some pain and heavy bleeding, but you would be losing the weight which in the long run will improve things immensely.

I took Lupron as part of my infertility treatments and it was always the worst part of the cycle. Aren't you just angry and sad and crazy all the time? I hated that stuff. Maybe you get used to it if you take it long enough.

Good luck. I know how frustrated you must be. Try to be as proactive as possible with your treatment to see what can be worked out to improve your overall health.

Tabitha,

I have read all of the posts to your original post and have also wondered about the use of birth control pills instead of the Lupron. At the age of 21, you probably are not even close to being ready to have a hysterectomy. I have to tell you though, I went through the same thing and finally had a hysterectomy at the age of 28. I had 1 child that I still love dearly, but I would not change the choice to have the surgery. My daughter is an adult, but I wouldn't take for her, so I know you are torn about what you should do. I do agree that you should see a new doctor and find out if everything possible is being done. I will definitely keep you in my prayers!