Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 14 Post Op Hospitalized For Leak!

I'm sorry you had this complication. I haven't had surgery yet and this is what I fear:(

Neither have I had surgery yet. and yes, this is one of my fears too. I am type 2 and will be converting from the lap band.

i can relate. take one day at a time. i spent 38 days in the hosp with critical issues but with no true leak was ever located. if you end up with an extended stay, it will be very hard - but you can get thru this...... i am home - feeding tube jpeg - getting better each day! you will, too!!!!!!! keep us posted - we do care!!!!!!!

i can relate. take one day at a time. i spent 38 days in the hosp with critical issues but with no true leak was ever located. if you end up with an extended stay, it will be very hard - but you can get thru this...... i am home - feeding tube jpeg - getting better each day! you will, too!!!!!!! keep us posted - we do care!!!!!!!

Holy cow! 38 days? What happened (if you don't mind me asking)?

i can relate. take one day at a time. i spent 38 days in the hosp with critical issues but with no true leak was ever located. if you end up with an extended stay' date=' it will be very hard - but you can get thru this...... i am home - feeding tube jpeg - getting better each day! you will, too!!!!!!! keep us posted - we do care!!!!!!![/quote']

i thought my 22 were unbearable. my heart goes out to you!

I will be praying for you, god is with you.

Jasleeve - how far out were you when they discovered the leak?

5 weeks

Where did u have you're surgery done

Holy cow! 38 days? What happened (if you don't mind me asking)?

explor lap gave me hosp aquired pneumonia, pleural effusins, had abcess over spleen with fistula to liver with a smaller abcess, chest tube, drains, fevers, on TPN which gives massive diarrhea, a crappy picc line that wad psoitional to say the least, 6 visits to interventional radiology, 7 cts with contrast, movement disorder for 7 hours from iv promethazine ( constant nausea) nothing helped) i retched all the time.too much lovenox gave huge bloody noses,, lost count on xrays, 5 antibiotics at once, pca with dilaudid which i refused about 10 days prior to discharge. i do not remember the first 2 weeks or so. i do remember admission, some great nurses and staff. my family is amazing. my mom stayed overnite a lot with me. i sobbed everyday i am told plus, no oral liquids or ice for 3weeks! ugh!!!!!!!on a happier note, i am weaning off my jpeg, trying food that i have to chew(no sliding food) and everyday improving. i stagger my chores and errands. too much one day puts me in bed the next day. doctors say i have the worst luck cuz what could go wrong ------did. but again, no clear proof of a leak. it is assumed due to my symptoms.weight is coming off slower than i thought it would. TPN and my tube feedings are so calorically dense but i am down 30 with about 35 to go. i will get there!!!!! as a nurse, being a patient reminded me of why i went into nursing in the first place. i feel very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jpeg might be removed end of december!!!

Today is hard, I have been home from the hospital for 3 days and everyone in my house still needs to eat. I understand that but I am soooo hungry! Not having food or liquids is so much easier in the hospital....you don't have to smell the food.....this picc line SUX.....the TPN SUX.......I am tired of the smell, your urine and fecal (if you can call it that) has a horrible smell that makes me want to vomit! (Sorry) TPN is down to 16 hrs a day so I get weak and wobbly after about noon. I need to stop reading the posts on food and what people are eating I think.....it makes me grumpy :) I sure hope this is over soon! I have another catscan on Monday or Tuesday to see if leak has healed yet. God I hope so! I have already had 2 and on the 2nd one I did puke up the contrast on my last sip, I know I'm not going to be able to keep it down on this next one. I don't understand why they can't make it taste better? It's not the barium stuff or the Water type stuff, it is thick and oily and tastes like what I imagine engine oil mixed with kaster oil and some Lysol would taste like. I am nervouse about it because you have to take large gulps and swallow as they take the images and it ends up being a whole 8 oz. Anyway, thanks for putting up with my rant! I am thankful to be home (minus the food) and thankful it doesn't seem to be a "horrible" leak but just fed up and having a hard time today!

explor lap gave me hosp aquired pneumonia, pleural effusins, had abcess over spleen with fistula to liver with a smaller abcess, chest tube, drains, fevers, on TPN which gives massive diarrhea, a crappy picc line that wad psoitional to say the least, 6 visits to interventional radiology, 7 cts with contrast, movement disorder for 7 hours from iv promethazine ( constant nausea) nothing helped) i retched all the time.too much lovenox gave huge bloody noses,, lost count on xrays, 5 antibiotics at once, pca with dilaudid which i refused about 10 days prior to discharge. i do not remember the first 2 weeks or so. i do remember admission, some great nurses and staff. my family is amazing. my mom stayed overnite a lot with me. i sobbed everyday i am told plus, no oral liquids or ice for 3weeks! ugh!!!!!!!on a happier note, i am weaning off my jpeg, trying food that i have to chew(no sliding food) and everyday improving. i stagger my chores and errands. too much one day puts me in bed the next day. doctors say i have the worst luck cuz what could go wrong ------did. but again, no clear proof of a leak. it is assumed due to my symptoms.weight is coming off slower than i thought it would. TPN and my tube feedings are so calorically dense but i am down 30 with about 35 to go. i will get there!!!!! as a nurse, being a patient reminded me of why i went into nursing in the first place. i feel very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jpeg might be removed end of december!!!

What is jpeg? I feel bad bitching about my little leak after reading yours! So glad you are doing better, not sure how you did it..........

oh..a feeding tube that is placed in the jejunum..so it by passes the stomach nd allows the gut to to rest.it take a lot of work..flushing, set up, etc. but better than home with a picc line on TPN. i hate that stuff. worst diarrhea ever. although i am eating, i still have belly pain when i eat o rdrink but i have to re-teach my esophagus how to work so no sliding food. YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS. I CRIED ALOT.....DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO MAKE YOURSELF COMFORTABLE. I SO FEEL WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU.........I REALLY DO. keep posting plz!!!

trish

Today is hard' date=' I have been home from the hospital for 3 days and everyone in my house still needs to eat. I understand that but I am soooo hungry! Not having food or liquids is so much easier in the hospital....you don't have to smell the food.....this picc line SUX.....the TPN SUX.......I am tired of the smell, your urine and fecal (if you can call it that) has a horrible smell that makes me want to vomit! (Sorry) TPN is down to 16 hrs a day so I get weak and wobbly after about noon. I need to stop reading the posts on food and what people are eating I think.....it makes me grumpy :) I sure hope this is over soon! I have another catscan on Monday or Tuesday to see if leak has healed yet. God I hope so! I have already had 2 and on the 2nd one I did puke up the contrast on my last sip, I know I'm not going to be able to keep it down on this next one. I don't understand why they can't make it taste better? It's not the barium stuff or the Water type stuff, it is thick and oily and tastes like what I imagine engine oil mixed with kaster oil and some Lysol would taste like. I am nervouse about it because you have to take large gulps and swallow as they take the images and it ends up being a whole 8 oz. Anyway, thanks for putting up with my rant! I am thankful to be home (minus the food) and thankful it doesn't seem to be a "horrible" leak but just fed up and having a hard time today![/quote']

Little secret on that horrible contrast dye....I vomitted the first "gulp" because I couldn't gulp even Water at that time. The guy told me take smaller amounts. I don't think I ever took over a couple of ounces and they got clear pictures. They just have to wait and watch carefully. Try taking smaller drinks even though they say gulp. They'll still get the image! Tell them that you can't do it and have to take it slower. They would prefer you go fast so they can move you through for the next appt, but you are paying for the procedure...take charge! (Don't ask...just take smaller drinks and you'll see they don't say anything different).

explor lap gave me hosp aquired pneumonia' date=' pleural effusins, had abcess over spleen with fistula to liver with a smaller abcess, chest tube, drains, fevers, on TPN which gives massive diarrhea, a crappy picc line that wad psoitional to say the least, 6 visits to interventional radiology, 7 cts with contrast, movement disorder for 7 hours from iv promethazine ( constant nausea) nothing helped) i retched all the time.too much lovenox gave huge bloody noses,, lost count on xrays, 5 antibiotics at once, pca with dilaudid which i refused about 10 days prior to discharge. i do not remember the first 2 weeks or so. i do remember admission, some great nurses and staff. my family is amazing. my mom stayed overnite a lot with me. i sobbed everyday i am told plus, no oral liquids or ice for 3weeks! ugh!!!!!!!on a happier note, i am weaning off my jpeg, trying food that i have to chew(no sliding food) and everyday improving. i stagger my chores and errands. too much one day puts me in bed the next day. doctors say i have the worst luck cuz what could go wrong ------did. but again, no clear proof of a leak. it is assumed due to my symptoms.weight is coming off slower than i thought it would. TPN and my tube feedings are so calorically dense but i am down 30 with about 35 to go. i will get there!!!!! as a nurse, being a patient reminded me of why i went into nursing in the first place. i feel very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jpeg might be removed end of december!!![/quote']

Wow, I had a lot of that but not all of it thank god. You have my sympathy dear. I actually rejected the jpeg (NJ tube is another name people call it). I vomited bile the entire 48 hours it was in and made them remove it.

Darling, I sobbed daily. I missed my little boy and was so afraid of dying and leaving him. I missed my family. The pain wore me down! Ughhh the chest tube still bothers me because the cut is right on my bra line so the area is sensitive! I hope you are better soon. I guess my 22 days in hospital was "lucky" (eyes rolling) hard to think of it that way til you read others stories!

Just wanted to let you know I read your story and am wishing you the best for continued recovery. I am really sorry you have to go through all this but am glad to hear that things are improving.