Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion size: The Neverending Debate

Post #58787 (@ the other website) by Jessie: "Forget the 1/2 cup of food at a time rule. The consensus is that's pretty much of a BAD guideline. The amount you can eat at one sitting varies depending on what you are eating."

Donali and Lisa, your postings were not in vain! Someone (over there) agrees with you! SHOCK! SHOCK!

WOW. Of course, Jessie is really the reason to go there anyway. I think she is the most knowledgeable and levelheaded one of the bunch. She just wrote a book for bandsters, and I intend on getting a copy. I'm sure it's full of wonderful and helpful info.

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding : Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery

by Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.

You can order, and read partial online text:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?&isbn=0-595-31114-8

WOW, I was just going to cut and past Jessie's post about the 1/2 a cup of food rule. She seems to be the queen of the band any all those know it alls over there live by her words I just hope and pray those B****** read it and eat crow. Maybe I should start an "apology to Delarla" thread over there :( and see if I get any replys..what do you think?

LOL, you guys are too much. If it's any consolation. I basically got the same treatment on DFW Bandsters today because of my current situation and my concern over the lack of care for people who relocate.

Most of these boards are moderated or started by people in the banding business. Either they are nurses for doctors or they're selling banding support. Which is great, but you say one thing that might cause a prospective patient to think twice and they are all over you.

Admittedly, I've created something to think about, but I've not once said I hate the band or I'm sorry I got it. I love my band. I'm deeply disturbed that I have this current issue. I'm even more disturbed that the docs are all adopting this rule not to see previously banded patients. To me, those who go before others should give them a heads up about such things, but anyway.. I digress. .. anyway, I understand what it feels like to be asked to basically 'shut up' about certain issues.

I'm such a wimp. I even cried this morning when one of them basically negated everything I had been saying as if my experience had no importance whatsoever. Only those who are the 'long term' bandsters with success were valid experiences. Of course I let her know I resented her connotation and I was then asked to drop the thread because it had become 'decidedly' negative.. sigh... oh well. I left the board too, otherwise it really would have gotten decidely negative.

Anyway, for those reading. I would get my band over again, even with my current complications and hardship in finding a local doctor, so don't take me wrong. I just think there are some big issues that Inamed and the docs need to address to provide continuous care to their consumer.

I rest my case..

Does anyone know a board where that nitwit doesn't belong?

Yes, right here!! :(:D :D

And she doesn't seem to be posting too much these days at Spotlight, either. (And thank you for keeping the name-calling to a bare minimum. I REALLY don't want any ugliness to come here to real-people-land.)

:D

If your talking about Sandy RN? She was dissed off "Spotlight" for pretty much veiwing things only her way, "Is the only way".

That's really sad, isn't it? One person causing people to leave support boards. You know, if you leave, then there have been others too. I find that really sad.

Worst part is, she really thinks she is helping. I've run into others like her too.

Have a good day All.

Leatha

Hi,

I have an opinion I would like to voice here. My disclaimer: I do not work for a bariatric clinic and I am not affiliated with a hospital and I am definitely not a medical professional.

Leatha:

I have been a member of DFW bandsters for a year. This group consists of the kindest most loving people you will ever have the chance to be associated with. The group was not started by anyone in the medical profession or anyone associated with a doc or hospital. The group was started by Esther who was banded in 1999. She lost her band due to erosion and was rebanded last year. She lost her second band at Christmas time and moved to CA. She is below her goal weight and has maintained it so far. Two people who post on DFW bandsters work in the capacity of post op care or for a doctor or hospital directly. One of them is Cynthia Jones who is a 5 year bandster veteran who lost 210 pounds and was one of the FDA trial patients. She owns a company and website called Bandlandia and contracts with the hospitals that do banding surgery to handle post op care for the docs the hospitals represent. There is also MJ who represents SCOR.

From what I understand, the doc was willing to see you, but the facility was an out of network provider and that is a problem for many people, not just yourself. There are docs that will see you in the DFW area, but whether they take your insurance is another issue. And there are also docs that dont want to handle problems if they didnt band you. Yes, it is a problem, and yes it is extremely unfortunate for you and many others that will have this problem in the future.

I noticed that there were several dozen posts of people offering to help you (and they did). Unfortunately, the thread was so long and tedious that it was becoming counterproductive, so the moderator (Charlie Collings) asked nicely to put an end to it. Charlie and his wife Virginia are both banded and are also not associated with any hospital, doc as well as the fact that neither is in the medical profession. Please be aware that when you post and read messages on the internet, you have not had the opportunity to see the person in question and you truly do not know them to assess them until you have had the chance to meet them in person.

Leatha/Lisa

Regarding Smart Bandsters, the same applys. It was not created by anyone in the bariatric field, although quite a few people n the medical/bariatric field who post there. THe moderators are not medical professionals. It is a tedious job to be a moderator and time consuming. Yes there are some people there that can be abrasive, but they do take their time to help others, even though sometimes personalities get involved and the groups can become "clickish". I think in Lisa's case (this is strictly my opinion) she had some great points, but perhaps some of the messages were overwhelming (Admit it lisa, you are a hoot!!) for some to handle and people got bristly! Lisa was not kicked off the board, but put on a moderated status from what I understand. Some of the people on smart bandsters can be extremely abrasive. I dont always agree with the methodology, but I look forward to Jessie Ahroni everyday, who by far is the most experienced banded person I know. Sandy RN is a tough cookie who means well, but has strong opinions. If you guys ask for advice and then challenge, expect a bite.! Dan L. is a nice guy. I met him recently here in Dallas. He also has strong opinions, but he is harmless. I dont always agree with these folks, but I respect that they are successful and I would like to think that if I did not have all the support from all the folks I mentioned, I would not have been as successful as I have been.

Well, enough said. This has turned into a full fledged novel.

Babs in TX

334/214/170

6/23/03

I fully agree with you. I've met Cynthia and Charlie and several others. I never said a word against them. I have thanked them privately and pubicly for their help. I'm extremely inspired by Cynthia.

But, please. I'd rather not go back there. My feelings are extremely hurt. I still believe that there is a hole in the system regarding patients who relocate. I understand no one person can do anything about it. Maybe I was too passionate about it, but I am currently living in the vortex of it and I know I am not going to be the only one. I think I could have used just an ounce of validation.

I also think that my experience was abrasively negated by someone else coming on and stating THEIR experience was so much different than mine and that bandsters with 1-5 years being banded ( I have been banded over a year, btw) specifically these two people are the one's to listen to? How would that make you feel?

Most people who are conversing don't really want a resolution, they simply want to be heard. Either way, I don't normally let people bother me much, but this is an extremely stressful situation for me and I found it very hurtful. I recieved nothing from Charlie asking me to let it go, publicly or privately. Any one of them could have emailed me privately and nicely. I have only respect for them.

And you're right, people do not know WHO their dealing with just by reading their words. I didn't deserve what I recieved there by any stretch of the imagination. I'm really sorry it happened, but I'm still extremely hurt by it.

Thanks Babs. I really admire your success too.

Leatha

Leatha,

Esther retired from UPS after 20 some odd years. She is presently living on a UPS pension in her mother in laws house in CA.

Babs in TX

P.S. I am sorry that your feelings were hurt.

Leatha -

I'm sorry for not only your experience on the DFW board, but for your rocky transition in follow-up care. You have every right to be outraged!!

Glad you found us here, though... :(

Originally posted by bbrecruiter2000

Leatha,

Esther retired from UPS after 20 some odd years. She is presently living on a UPS pension in her mother in laws house in CA.

Babs in TX

P.S. I am sorry that your feelings were hurt.

Yes. I know, and she also started up Band New Life, right? We've emailed. She is living near the same town I moved from in California.

I've followed quite a lot of people's journeys from the time I started researching the lapband. She and Cynthia were some of the first.

*** Waving white flag****

Hi guys. I deleted all my posts from this thread because they're infecting this wonderful place.

I admitted to being extremely abrasive (with no regrets) on Smartbandsters, but only after being unfairly treated. I learned the hard way that moderators on other boards are one-sided and enjoy feeding fuel to the fire by letting one side's insults through while deleting anything in defense - including apologies. Babs, thanks for your post, but you didn't see the entire truth because they deleted everything I posted while allowed the DeLarla bashing to continue. Bygones.

I tried a new group, but was immediately attacked by Sandy. I responded in what I thought was a civilized reply beginning with "Sandy, this is a new board and a new day, so please send me private messages in the future to prevent the entire board's involvement." However, the moderator deleted my reply to Sandy's insult while letting Sandy insult me across the board. I guess they enjoy the drama. So I'm unsubscribing there and apologizing here. No more board bashing.

xo