Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Don't I Just Tell People I Had Sleeve Surgery

Prior to surgery I only told my husband, best friend and office mate. While out for surgery I gave my office mate the OK to tell people if they asked where I was, because I didn't want her to have to lie. I still haven't told my friends or family although I will at an appropriate time. I am very private and don't want to talk about it or hear any negative comments.

So far my co-workers have been curious about the procedure and overall supportive.

@tapsnap

Do u think misery loves company? Maybe the heavier ones you r telling r critical because if you lose weight you won't be one of "them" anymore. Maybe it's just simple jealousy.

I posted this just now on another thread with a similar topic...

I only told a few close friends and family -- but that said, I don't tell personal information of any kind about myself, for the most part -- mostly for career reasons and a small town. I absolutely couldn't care less what people think and they can gossip behind my back all they want. What others think of me is none of my business. I just don't care to discuss it with them. And I also couldn't care less about 'taking the easy way out' -- so the eff what?? How many areas in life do we deliberately do something 'the hard way'?? Makes ZERO sense, and is anyhow based on this very judgey perspective that fat people have sinned against aesthetics (mostly fat women) and deserve to be punished and work very hard to gain back the right to be counted amongst the human beings again. Yeah, no thanks LOL. And finally, maybe talking about it is awesome and reduces stigma and all that, but it's not my responsibility to change what anyone thinks, especially if they're being judgey and negative. That's on them and I'm not fussed at all about it. They're welcome to their opinion and they're even welcome to share it with me, but I don't have to care about it and I for sure don't have to try and convince them otherwise. Which is anyhow notoriously ineffective... :D

(I should add, this has completely 150% been the 'easy way out' for me, and I couldn't be happier about that. I deserve it and I'm so happy about just how easy and effective it's been.)

I told everyone except my family that I had gall bladder surgery. I feel embarrassed to say on here that I too am a bit embarrassed I had the surgery since I couldn't do it on my own either and the fact that I almost died from a leak and other complications to have the surgery (friends and coworkers thought it was from the gall bladder surgery and were so sweet to me while i was do ill). I really wish I had the confidence to just admit the truth, but I feel like it is too late now and everyone will be mad at me for lying. So I am just continuing on with my lie.

I feel guilty for lying and it was especially hard to keep up with while I was in the hospital for a month. I had to keep making excuses why no friends or coworkers could visit because I didn't want them to see I was in the bariatric floor or overhear something when the doctors and nurses came in.

The old saying " oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive" always came to mind.

I've thought about this a lot. I've told my husband of course, my mom, sisters, brother and one best friend. Only one person knows at work and that's because she's in human resources and I wanted to find out if my insurance would cover it. Luckily she was supportive (knows people that it has worked for) and I felt good about having one person at work to talk to. It's hard not to talk about this - it will dramatically change my life! I didn't tell anyone else at work because they are "clicky" and I didn't want to be the subject of their lunchtime get-togethers!

I think I will tell more after the deed is done, the weight starts to drop and my confidence and self esteem grows. I'm just not there yet.

We are all different. None of us want to be judged by others. Before I decided to have surgery I said I would never have bariatric surgery. I did not like the before and after shots of bypass patients they appeared anorexic to me. I went to a seminar and found out I could have the sleeve done laparoscopically and became a believer. My concern was health related. Almost everyone knows I had surgery. It works for me. I don't see it as easy. You still have to make the right food choices and exercise. I feel and look better than I have in years and really don't mind sharing with others. This is not for everybody. But it is an individual decision where your support system makes a difference. I had my Mom and best friend who were in my corner. My husband was afraid at first. A lot of people are concerned because of the complications that can occur. I agree with whoever said this is better than lying in a coffin because you did not try to take control.

I was very happy that I finally stood up for myself and my health. I got type one diabetes at age 15, and now that I'm 30 (3 months out) I couldn't be happier, have better control of my life and bs levels. I'm down 43 pounds and happy. I told everyone and I was proud of it. There have been a few people to where I told them I just changed my whole life around, which I did, but I don't really care what others think, and if they don't like it, then they're not worth my time.