Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Octosleevers 2012. Welcome To The Losers Bench!

I have no drains at all, I'm walking, coughing ad using the blue suck in thingy, the pain is so going through my whole right side when I breathe in, it's horrific! It's not that I have a problem drinking I can drink its just it hurts when I do, if that makes since, they Hear my stomach they hear a little bit of stuff but not much, whatever that means they didn't tell me what they heard, I'm still on dalatid and loratab liquid for me to go home I gotta be off the dalatid totally but I get so uncomfortable and hurting that the dalatid is what keeps me comfortable ad helps me sleep! I don't know what's going to happen today I'm honestly not ready to go home but it's all up to the nurse, and I just want something to help with the gas!!!!

I'm not a doctor but I was prescribed dilaudid for my ovarian cyst pain and eventually the dilaudid is what kept me from passing gas and was in fact causing my pain. Dilaudid also gave me severe Constipation which caused me pain in my stomach and eventually the pain got so bad that I wasn't able to walk and had to be pushed around in a wheel chair. I also had a lot of pain when standing. Those meds made it to where I couldn't fart, burp, and poop. I had lots of gas built up in my stomach that I couldn't get out. Don't get me wrong pain meds are very helpful but in a lot of people they tend to cause more issues than they solve. The only way for me to get back to normal after taking too many pain pills, was to stop taking them. Yes it will be uncomfortable for a day or 2 but once your digestive tract starts working again, you will feel better. Pain meds tend to screw up the way your body gets rid of gas and the way it functions. Also when I was taking lots of dilaudid I eventually couldn't eat or drink anything, I would vomit and became dehydrated. Like I said earlier I'm not a doctor and I don't work in the medical field so I'm only able to offer you advice on what I've experienced and it's that pain meds tend to cause more problems than they solve when used for too long. I hope you feel better soon.

ETA: My docs were able to figure out that it was the dilaudid causing me problems because when they listened to my stomach they couldn't hear anything. There were no digestion or gas sounds in there. My doc told me to stop the pain meds and to take glycolax to soften my stool and to get my digestive tract moving again. Once I was able to poop, I started burping and passing the gas that had been trapped for so long. I've never looked at pain meds the same ever since.

I have no drains at all' date=' I'm walking, coughing ad using the blue suck in thingy, the pain is so going through my whole right side when I breathe in, it's horrific! It's not that I have a problem drinking I can drink its just it hurts when I do, if that makes since, they Hear my stomach they hear a little bit of stuff but not much, whatever that means they didn't tell me what they heard, I'm still on dalatid and loratab liquid for me to go home I gotta be off the dalatid totally but I get so uncomfortable and hurting that the dalatid is what keeps me comfortable ad helps me sleep! I don't know what's going to happen today I'm honestly not ready to go home but it's all up to the nurse, and I just want something to help with the gas!!!![/quote']

Hang in there! It will get better. My throat hurt as well and everytime a swallowed anything it felt like it was on fire. But that's just inflammation from the surgery. In a few days that felling goes away. And don't worry to much about getting your liquids in. I had no desire to drink anything! I think I drank a total of 6 oz my first 3 days. When I got home I started sucking on ice chips which helped me a lot and by the end of the 3rd day i was able to sip a little more normally. By the 4th day it was easy pesey! As far as the gas, the only thing that helped is walking. I know your sick of everyone saying that, but it's true. Think of it like burping a baby, you have to keep patting his back to get the burp to come out. It's the same, you have to keep walkig until you feel the gas start moving. And once that happens your feel A LOT better! Good luck and have a safe and speedy recovery.

Hey October Sleevers!!! I am an April sleever myself and just was checking in on some of the various groups to see how you all are doing. I can tell you that the pain will get better' date=' so hang in there. As far as the headaches go, pain medication can actually give you headaches. If you really don't need the pain meds, try some liquid Tylenol instead and see if the head pain eases up. Of course, follow your doctor’s orders first. Anything I put here are only suggestions for what worked for me. I could not get down Water for the longest time. I mean, plain water. I still can only drink so much of it. My go to for fluids are sugar free popsicles (I should buy stock!!!), low calorie Gatorade. It only has 30 calories in 12 oz. and you need some calories and you surly need the fluids. I had better luck with it than almost any other drink product. It also put my electrolytes back in balance, a real plus as my heart would race some times. Had it checked out, no heart issues, just low fluids and the electrolytes being off.

Start slow on the foods, don't rush anything. Head hunger is normal. I still go through periods where I know I am not hungry, but I "feel" hungry. Other days, I could forget to eat at all. I just now have my calorie intake back up to 700 to 800 calories a day. Once I got on solid foods, I was at 550 to 650 for the longest time.

As far as Protein Drinks, the only one that I can stand even to this day is Premier Protein - chocolate. 30g of Protein in 11 oz. of Fluid (I buy it at Sams Club). I wish you all the best of luck and to those that are yet to be sleeved, my thoughts are with you. Hang in there everyone!!! Talking to others who are sleeved during the same month is a real plus. Enjoy the journey.[/quote']

I haven't even filled my rx for pain pills so I know mine isn't from that. I take Tylenol at night just to be able to sleep from it. Dr said its probably from no sugar. It will pass. It's less frequent now

Done Did It!

Done Did It!

Ugh, what is wrong with this app?

I am 8 days out and can take 12 oz of Water, cream Soup, crystal light, each in 15 mins ( not all together) no nausea, pain, gas, nothing. Is this right? I thought it would be a lot harder, and I know restriction kicks in with solids, but I am thinking...will it?

Done Did It!

I was sleeved three days ago...anybody else suffering from wicked diarrhea? I haven't eaten anything other than chicken broth, crystal light and a few Popsicles. Honest to Pete, this is worse than the magnesium citrate I took before the surgery.

I was sleeved three days ago...anybody else suffering from wicked diarrhea? I haven't eaten anything other than chicken broth' date=' crystal light and a few Popsicles. Honest to Pete, this is worse than the magnesium citrate I took before the surgery.[/quote']

Common. I had a couple of accidents. Had my first post op appt today. Dr said if I still have it in a week, to call for appt. make sure I don't have c-diff. Take Probiotics if your surgeon approves.

I was sleeved three days ago...anybody else suffering from wicked diarrhea? I haven't eaten anything other than chicken broth' date=' crystal light and a few Popsicles. Honest to Pete, this is worse than the magnesium citrate I took before the surgery.[/quote']

I had severe diarrhea for a week they kept me in the hospital for a week because it was so bad. It does get better

Yup... it was terrible. But you are only putting liquids in so only liquids come out. Nice that I started pureed it's much better

I am 8 days out and can take 12 oz of Water, cream Soup, crystal light, each in 15 mins ( not all together) no nausea, pain, gas, nothing. Is this right? I thought it would be a lot harder, and I know restriction kicks in with solids, but I am thinking...will it?

Done Did It!

Are you able to drink 12 oz at a time? I was able to drink 1 cup of water in a hour but when I tried to do it again I was only able to drink about 1/2 cup in a hour. I've been able to eat eggs cooked with cheese and ham (lunch meat) and haven't had any problems. It took me all day to eat 2 scrambled eggs. I'm definitely feeling the restriction. I can't drink anymore Protein Shakes because they make the left side of my stomach hurt. It's getting easier to get my fluids in but I can only sip or take small gulps and then wait a minute or two before drinking more.

Are you able to drink 12 oz at a time? I was able to drink 1 cup of Water in a hour but when I tried to do it again I was only able to drink about 1/2 cup in a hour. I've been able to eat eggs cooked with cheese and ham (lunch meat) and haven't had any problems. It took me all day to eat 2 scrambled eggs. I'm definitely feeling the restriction. I can't drink anymore Protein Shakes because they make the left side of my stomach hurt. It's getting easier to get my fluids in but I can only sip or take small gulps and then wait a minute or two before drinking more.

I do drink that much. Sip sip sip for 15-20 minutes. Then I put it down and usually wait a couple of hours before taking more fluids.

Done Did It!

I do drink that much. Sip sip sip for 15-20 minutes. Then I put it down and usually wait a couple of hours before taking more fluids.

Done Did It!

Oh and food is off limits for me. Just liquids, shakes, yogurt creamy Soups and pudding.< /p>

Done Did It!

I wish I could drink 12 oz at a time. I'm breastfeeding and can only get in small amounts of Fluid at a time and I miss being able to drink 15 oz of Water in 5 mins. I also have to wake up and drink water at night to get in more fluids :/

I was sleeved on mon 10/8 and came home yesterday. Ive been focusing on getting my fluids in cant reaally get alot of Protein in yet. Eating a littlr cream of wheat and thinned vanilla yogurt. My biggest problem is headache pain. I have sleep apnea and use my cpap. But even in daytime when my loritab wears off i have bad headache. Honestly this would be a breeze if i didnt have headaches. Anyone else have them? Is it possibly from the CO2 they use?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that when the lortab wears off, you have a bad headache. You just been pumped with a lot of meds on top of the anesthesia. It's leaving your system. Try some children's liquid Tylenol. Just double the kids dose (that's what my surgeon said to do if I have headaches after)

Sent from my iPad using VST

Done Did It!

OMG! I was thinking the same thing myself today! I have been able to drink a 16.9 oz bottle of flavored water or green tea with no problems. Two or three days ago I KNEW if I took too big of a drink, but now I can take larger sips and it seems to go down faster. I am pretty sure I am going to ask my surgeon if he actually took the stomach out like he said he did...LOL! I am still on full liquids - no yogurt or Soups or puddings. Here is hoping for that restriction! (And, I am really glad to know I am not the only one!! :) )