Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band To Sleeve Revision Surgery Insurance Question

I was banded in January 2012, have lost 50 pounds, BMI is down to 29.3. However, I have had two serious pain episodes with the band that have sent me to the ER writhing in pain (and I'm NOT a pain weenie). First time doctor removed 4 cc's and pain went away. We slowly refilled and I got a little too tight and went in for a small unfill and later that day I was hit with that writhing pain again. This last time the doctor removed a good bit of Fluid and pain subsided a lot, but didn't completely go away. The pain started to build again, but never got to the writhing level, and I had the remaining Fluid removed. Tests were run after the first episode and everything looked completely normal. Doctor had to answer as to what would cause such severe pain.

I've gotten kind of leery of my band now, so I'm going to look into revision surgery. My question is, my insurance Carefirst BCBS covered my band surgery 100%. For people whose insurance covered the band 100% and then they go in for revision, what did your insurance cover for the revision, and what was your BMI at the time of revision, any co-morbidities? In other words, did you have to jump through all the hoops that were required for the first surgery all over again? Did you have to qualify with BMI and co-morbidities again?

I had was banded on 07/07 and I just started to have problems with it back in 07/12, almost 5 yrs to the day. I have a bmi of 31 and was dignosed with esphogeal dysmobilty, the only was to correct is to have band removed. My doct suggested that I get the revision and I agreed with him. I had premiun insurance with UHC when I had the band done and it was covered at 100%. Now I have standard insurance with UHC and I have 75/25% with a max out of pocket of $5000.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches