Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Octosleevers - What Is Your Pre-Op Diet?

Hello fellow OctoSleevers (and everyone else)!

As I approach my one month until surgery countdown, I just wanted to get a general idea from others what your pre-op diet recommendations are by your doc and/or nut. Like how long before must you start, when do you start liquid only (if at all), or if there is a goal weight loss (or % of total weight) needed prior to surgery proceeding.

My doc gave me a "general guideline" of 5% weight loss pre-op, with a low carb / high Protein diet (like a Protein shake for BF and lunch then a "sensible" dinner of a small portion of lean Protein and a veggie) starting 2 to 4 weeks pre-op (depending on total pounds needed to lose), then liquids only for 3 days pre-op. He said the typical reason given is to shrink the liver pre-op (although it is unclear how much this is really needed), and more importantly, to ensure that the patient can actually follow a restrictive intake program, which is what we'll be doing post-op and really for the rest of our lives.

Anybody else have recommendations given to them that vary greatly from this?

Thanks and good luck to all!

I live in South America, so my diet focus more on "food" based Protein rather than Protein shakes. I started on Monday, so that puts me at day 6.

Breakfast

1 Glucerna shake

1 natural fruit juice no sugar added

coffee or tea

snack

Low Fat Yogurt or Ice Cream

lunch

Liquefied Soup made of veggies, chicken, beef, or seafood strained

sugar free Jello

Snack

Glucerna shake

dinner

Same as lunch

I eat 2 cups of Soup each sitting. My NUT wanted me eating about 120 grams of Protein within that soup.

I also am supposed to drink 7 cups of Water. I can still have 1 coffee and as much diet beverages as I like. I can say I have never been a big soda drinker and with as much other liquids I have to ingest it is hard to drink coke zero. I can also have another optional juice at lunch if I choose. It is fresh squeezed with no sugar.

I have to say I am on day 6 and I am experience Ketosis. It is weird. I am not hungry and my breath is rank. I almost 7lbs down. They did not give me a weight lost requirement. I have to admit it is a true testament of will power. I must admit I want to eat something, but it is just to have that chewing sensation because I am not hungry. I also don't feel the need to cheat because I really want to go through surgery as smooth as possible.

Good luck to you! I am schedule October 1!

My pre-op diet began when I was 2 weeks out from surgery, which was this past Wednesday. I'm on 3 shakes and one meal under 350 calories. Starting this Wednesday until the day before surgery I will move to 4 shakes a day and no food. The day before surgery is all Clear Liquids.

I won't lie, it's been difficult. But I know it will be worth it!

Oh, and my surgery is October 3rd!

The hospital I started out at was modified liquid diet for 2 weeks. Mostly liquids with up to one cup daily (but they stressed only if needed) of certain vegetables. The list included things like lettuce and a few other greens. The hospital where I'm going to have surgery is only 1 week and it's straight liquid yikes. One girl from the same hospital support group was told she could have pureed Soups (provided they had certain amt of carb/protein) though and I'm hoping I will get the green light for that too. I am really nervous about the diet. I originally started out wanting lapband when I began this process in March and I attempted the pre op diet and lasted a whole day. I'm sure it will be different knowing I'm actually having the surgery...or at least I hope it will.