Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help- Banding 10-9-2006

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the website for a couple weeks now off and on and doing some research, but I have few questions and concerns. I would really appreciate any help and advice you have to give. I am being banded 10-9-2006 by Dr Kuhn, at Baylor Dallas. If anyone has heard much about him, I would really like to hear from you. I spent time in his office this past week, where a psycologist told me I would fail at the band and tried to push me into the bypass. I could tell at my first seminar with the Baylor doctors they were pro gastric bypass, but it just flat scares me. I have heard stories from people I work with who have had gastric. Anyway I have spent the day reading Lapband and came across a site about removal of the band and reasons why. I wish I had never gone there. I would love to hear positives right now.

I do have two questions that I am not sure about. Can you tell my why they dont want you to drink before or after a meal? Also why are Fiber foods bad to eat? I saw asparagus on the list and it made no sense.

I am not backing down but I am a little nervous right now. I have spent a lifetime on a weight roller coaster and I am ready to get off the ride.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Hi Ladyred,

The reason you are not to drink during your meals and soon after is so that the band can do its work and keep you feeling full for a while. If you drink it will wash the food on down to your (other stomach) and you will be hungry sooner. It seems as if the place you are going is pro bypass however studies that I have read say that over the long haul the lapband is just as or even more successful than bypass and a whole lot nicer to your system. Of course there are risks with all but less with the band and if all else fails it is reversable and the bypass is not. Keep the faith and go ahead with your lapband if you feel that is what YOU want. Not what others want. Go for it and we will see you in lapband land.

They say no to the membranes on fruit like oranges, grapefruit I even heard broccoli. Since my doctor told me to avoid those I just do. I've only been banded for 2 months and have lost 40 pounds so far so to me it is worth giving up a couple of things. I don't think you'll ever regret getting the band. I think you will be very, very pleased. I went to Mexico and none of my family, I mean none were for it and now they just can't believe the progress. Just do what you feel in your heart is best for YOU.

Ladyred,

I am very happy with my band. I'm only 18 days out, but so far so good. I pretty much follow all the rules so far. Drinking during or right after a meal is not a good idea. If you don't drink while you eat, you stay full for a longer period of time.

Weight Loss Surgery is a personal choice. But if you look at the statistics over a 2 year period, RNY and Lapband have the same success rate. I even think LapBand has a higher success rate. If you do further research, you will see how some RNY patients have also had Lapband done after they had the RNY. I feel that Lapband is a better way to go. It's safer, reversible, and the anatomy of your insides do not change. You made a great choice. Don't second guess yourself. Remember, RNY is a much more invasive. You also have control with the LapBand. If you find your appetite has increased, go get a fill. That's the beauty of this.

My surgeon didn't try to talk me into RNY, but he explained to me that if I was a grazer, Lapband would not be a good choice for me. He also said that if I wasn't a grazer/picker and just ate big portions at a sitting, then LapBand would be a good choice. I chose LapBand. And as of right now, I'm very happy with that decision. I am down about 14 pounds and I honestly cannot eat nearly what I used to eat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

LadyRed you and I will be banded on the same day! I questioned my decision as well only because I let others plant the seed of doubt. Once I sat with myself I was convinced that I was doing the right thing for me. Are you starting your liquid diet this week? 2 weeks 'til "band day"! We'll have to keep each other posted

Interesting that those docs would be sooo incredibly anti-band. Makes me wonder what they are basing that on? There are so many successful people on here that would beg to differ with them. I myself have lost MORE with the band than several people I know who have had GB. From my doc's support group alone I know of at least 3 others besides me who have done the same. Use that as motivation to prove them wrong:)

As for drinking, I always explain to people to think of a clogged drain that drains very slowly or a toilet that doesn't flush well. If you add Water to the sink, or keep flushing the toilet...the pressure just builds, either forcing the clog through (a.k.a the food in your pouch washes through too quickly) or the sink/drain overflows (a.k.a., you throw up/PB). I know its strange, but people seem to get it when I explain it that way. Also, the EXTREME pressure that can build when you drink liquids that just SIT on top of the food you eat (because it doesn't pass right through), can be excrutiatingly painful when you are well restricted.

Good Luck with your surgery;)

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I feel the support coming. Robyn my impression of them supporting the bypass was they kept saying at the seminar there are too many ways to cheat the band and the success rate of bypass was better and more permanent. They emphasized the problems more with band than bypass. My personal GP docotr just told me they would make more money with gastric bypass. I got a laugh out of that. BTW thank you for the explanation on drinking.

Lots2luv, I am so excited we are doing it on the same day. What do you mean by starting liguds now? I wasnt told to do anything like that. Please help me understand. Please keep me posted on how you are doing.

em1125, I am a graizer I guess in a sense and an emotional eater sometimes. Arent a lot of overweight people eating because of some type of emotional need. I know I can do this no matter what they say. I have done weight watcher with commitment and lost 90 lbs when I set my mind to it. I wont let them tell me I will fail at this. Grazing will just have to stop. :)

Jack you seem very inspirational I am ready for the ride.!!!!!!!

Mysherrijo and Jadedlady1, thank you for the education and well wishes. I cant wait to take this journey with you and everyone on the website. You are all the fantastic support that will make me more successful.

Ladyred usually 2 weeks out they have you start on a clear liquid diet. All Dr.'s and programs seem to differ so I was wondering if they had you start yours this week or do you have to do it days before? By the way, are you going home the same day or will you be staying in the hospital?

We can do anything we put our minds to here's to our health and soon to be new bodies!!!!

Lots2luv,

There was no mention at all of a liguid diet. I have read all my papers cover to cover and it was not suggested. One of my friends however told me I should do it. Her reason was that it shrinks your liver and makes the banding go much smoother. I guess she read it on here somewhere. She went to the same place as I am going and they had not told her to do it.

The usual practice for banding where I am going is out the same day. My friend was home that day by 1:00 after having that morning. I however have to stay overnight according to my doctor. I have to have some addtional surgery at the same time. I had a open abdominal surgery in May for other issues and now have a large hernia in the same area. They are going to take care of it at the same time during the banding.

How long will you be there?

Ladyred sorry to hear about the hernia:( . As for me I will be out the same day. How weird that they didn't suggest the liquid diet AT ALL oh well, like I said all Dr.'s and Programs differ I would suggest following your Dr.'s advice. They did however, have you lose some weight before surgery right? It serves the same purpose as your friend suggested so that the fat in your liver will be less and it will be easier for them to perform the surgery. I hope you will be released soon after. I will be looking to hear from you!

:phanvan Now I am starting to worry. No they didnt tell me to lose weight before at all. Did they just assume I was smart and knew it all. Who knows....I am learning so much on here. Thank you Thank you!!!!

Ok so I'm not trying to freak you out but have you asked your Dr. how many band procedures he's performed? Something is not adding up.

Go to the 'Food' Forum on here and you will get an idea of what is suggested and if you meet with your Doc soon bring this to his attention see what he says.

Wishing you the best,

Lots2Luv

I know he has done many procedures, but his specialty is gastric bypass and I bet the numbers are more like 10 to 1 in ratio. Baylor Dallas is supposed to be one of the best around in my area for experience. I started my first seminar with them over a year ago and was approved in December for gastric, then backed out. I was reapproved in February for lapband but backed out again because I just wasnt sure. Then the emotional roller coaster hit with issues the next few months. I called them in late August to see if I was still ok for approval and they said yes. When I went to my appointment last week for the first time to see the doctor I was given a packet to read. They had me visit with their psycologist first and do a couple test. The doctor then came in and talked for a little bit and asked me if I had any questions. Not knowing everything to ask I didnt say much. They scheduled me for an Upper GI and a nutrition class next week. I do pre-addmission next week with a couple more test and then they me see me on the day of surgery. Its funny, but I was totally approved for all this having only filled out papers and attending a seminar. Its like a racket of sorts they have going on. I assume they think if I have been around a year I must know it all. One of my papers said something about liguids the day before and taking some kind of laxative. Boy doctors do have different ways of doing things.

I have been on the food forum and taking in all the suggestions. Thank god for all of you on here. I am probably not at the best place when it comes to lapband I guess. I do have confidence in the doctor when it comes to skills only because I paid the price to learn more about his credentials on a website. A couple other people have also reccomended him.

My doctor (who is also a Bandster) allows his patients to drink right up until they start to eat, the theory being that liquids go straight thru. After a meal he says wait 1 hour (or as long as you can). Although most doctors say drinking will wash your food thru the stoma, I find that it does the opposite. If I drink to try and wash down food that has "stuck", all it does is "overflow" at best, and bring the whole thing back up, at worst.

It does help to have a band-friendly doctor, no doubt about that. Since yours isn't, be sure you find some good post-op support groups. Try DFW Bandsters on Yahoo groups. They are the best! We have one member who lost 210 pounds with the band and has kept it off for over 5 years.

Recent studies indicate that 5 years out, bypass and band patients have almost identical results. And doctors do make a lot more money off the bypass procedure, plus they don't have to bother with after-care (fills), which are not a big source of income.

I can't eat asparagus either. You just can't chew those fibrous veggies up well enough to keep them from creating problems as the stoma gets smaller. About once a week I make homemade veggie beef Soup and put everything thru the food processor prior to cooking. It's a great way to get in lots of veggies. If you are into juicing, you can juice all kinds of veggies and drink it. Just don't drink a lot of fruit juice, as it is high in calories/sugar. Buy yourself a Magic Bullet or personal blender. It will be your best friend after surgery.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

To ladyred and Lots2luv:

I am also being banded on the 9th of oct. I will be having my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. I was told to have a slimfast protien type drink in the morning and lunch and also for lunch and dinner I can have a salad, just greens with balsmic vinegar and a metamucil to help with hunger. I have to go on it starting the 2nd of oct. Can't weight! We will all have to stay in touch so we can help each other out. I wish the best success to both of you and anxious to hear back from you.