Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Yay Jessica! I'm so happy for you.

Well, I did it. I'm back at home and no worse for wear. I went in at 6:30 this morning and was back home by 11:00 am.

I had a little nausea when I first woke up, but since then have been fine. I haven't taken any of the loritab yet, as there really hasn't been much pain. At least nothing that Tylenol couldn't handle.

I took a short walk this afternoon, and pretty much have slept most of the day away.

The gas pain hasn't been too bad, but I am really swollen. In fact, no matter how I try - I can't feel where the port is. Guess I will find out on my follow up. :)

Jessica,

the folks at the hospital were great and so friendly! They'll take great care of you. Good luck to you on Thursday, and let me know how you are doing, OK?

Namazj, we have the same date! Let me know how it went! I am freaking out a little now, but im excited too. Good luck!

Oh something funny happened today. I weighed myself like I do every morning, still showing I lost five pounds...ok...I can tell some inches are gone and I feel good. Well I had my son weighED himself and it said 80lbs, so he says "mom I gained 10 pounds"...i was thinking huh, no way?? I look at the scale and its off by TEN POUNDS. Turns out my 2 year old moved the dial that sets it to zero...over to start at 10 lbs

SOOO REALLY I LOST 15LBS!!!!

My surgery is on the 25th and I'll be back to work on the 27th. Wish me luck!

WOW how are you going to do that. Good luck!!! My surgery was on the 16th and i've been out of bed and stuff walking around the house today will be my first day out of the house. :clap2:

I weighed my self..and I am down 3 pounds from yesterday...:clap2: move ladybug ..move.. Sounds like we are all doing great..Good luck to the people being banded this week... I have my 2 week follow up with my DR this week. My surgeon has me out of work for 4 weeks... that is a long time.. and it sounds like some of you are only out of work for 2 days.. I feel quilty... so I may go back on Nov 1. .... One more week of liquids.... 3 weeks is hard... thank god there is CIB .. I am able to get my Protein in with that and a boost of protein..

Okay y'all! I found how to create my own ticker scale (sorry, I'm new to this) but how do I paste it over here? I cut and paste the site but it just plugged it that information, not my ticker scale. Help!!! My surgery is tomorrow - a little nervous! Paying for it out of pocket - had to take out 401(k). Worth every penny, I'm sure!! :)

Question!! When you transfer over to mushies, what exactly are you eating? Is it easy for when you travel? I travel a lot for work. Does it taste good? Are you still hungry? I'm going to drive people crazy. Now I'm reading on this board people are taking weeks off - I didn't tell work I'm having surgery. That's why I'm only taking 2 days off. Would love advice.

I am allowed on mushies, rice soft Pasta, cottage cheese, mashed potato, very moist chicken (i have been getting the little 3oz cans like the tuna, very moist, just the right size) Tuna, hard cooked veggies and Soup. I was told that anything that can be mushed up, or soft that it is ok. Absolutely no red meat but fish is fine and so is very soft small chicken. I got rotissere chicken the other night, chopped it up super fine and put it in creamy soup. I needed some substance. The liquids just make me hungry all day. I need more that will stick with me. I cant drink those slimfast shakes. they gag me and i start heaving really bad so i have to get a little creative.

namazj,

Firstly, your signature - post the bnb(?) code from the tickerfactory site into your LBT signature page (in the LBT User Control Panel) and save it. It should show up at the bottom of your posts. No need to make a new post to check - just preview the signature before closing the update signature page, and/or go back and look at an old post.

Secondly, good luck with your plan to go back to work after 2 days. I couldn't have done it. I have a adesk job, and sitting was very hard. I was dizzy, nauseous, tired and in pain for about 5 to 7 days afterward. However, a guy banded with me went back to work after 4 days, and he was fine. Everyone is different.

Thirdly, you should have recieved dietary advice from your surgeon / dietician. If not, then you should call and ask what they recommende / require you to do. I've outlined below what I have to do, which may be helpful to you.

I had a 2 week pre-surgery diet (3 Optifast shakes, 2 cups non-starchy vegetables, 1 pc fruit, 8 glasses water). Then the day of surgery Clear Liquids only. From Day 2, I was allowed full liquids for 3 weeks (smoothies, blended soups).

The next 3 weeks after liquids are mushies or 'transition' phase. Our dietician guidelines say if at any stage there is any discomfort or difficulty digesting foods to downgrade the consistency and try again after another week. Foods to be low fat and no-added sugar wherever possible.

Week 1 of mushies is baby food consistency (build up gradually from soups). Includes soft cereals (porridge, softened wheet bix, semolina), mashed vegetables, mashed tinned fruit, milk, custard, yoghurt, ice cream, tinned or fresh cooked fish, lightly poached or scrambled egg (scranble with a little milk to keep softer, and chew it well!).

Mushies week 2 includes Pasta, couscous, dry biscuits, flaky cereals (no nuts, dried fruit or hard grains; ceral to be well softened; eg. corn flakes, rice bubbles, special k), cheese, fish and egg as pleased, moist chicken, fresh soft fruits (eg. banana, canteloupe, watermelon, berries, kiwi fruit, mango), non-mashed tinned fruit, whole well-cooked vegetables (pumpkin and potato to be peeled), legumes.

Mushies week 3 includes rice and bread (try wholemeal / wholegrain and or toasted), high fibre cereals (with nuts and fruit), dairy as pleased, red meat (try mince before steak, ensure meat is moist not overcooked to dry), fresh salad ingredients, hard fruits such as apples and pears (slice thinly or peel if necessary). Basically by the end of week 3 we should be back to a normal healthy diet.

GoAnna~

I love the way you Aussie's speak! It's so adorable...."tinned fruit"! I love it! The advice you gave is very good though.

I am really looking forward to my mushies stage! It will be 8 days from now when I am clear for that, after I meet with my surgeon. In the meantime, I have been enjoying the creamed soups! And...I bought a Magic Bullet yesterday at Bed Bath and Beyond! I have never been so excited about an appliance!

namazj~

Are you having your surgery tomorrow and then going back to work Friday? I am sure that is possible, but if I were you and if you can, I would take that extra day on Friday to at least carry you over to Monday through the weekend to have time to let your body heal.

I am taking the whole week off. My surgery was last Thursday and I go back to work this Thursday. I think that a week is really ideal if anyone can take that amount of time. I am already feeling much better! I am bored and will be really ready to get back Thursday. My boss called me yesterday to consult with me about a client, and she said to me that I could take the rest of the week if I wanted to, but I told her "No!!! this is the most productive I have been since the day of my surgery!"

So...if you can take a little time for yourself, I recommend it!

Hi

I'm just checking in. Was banded 10/19 and feeling pretty good. My incisions are pretty sore though. I was not ready to see the staples in my stomach when I took off the bandages, yikes!!!!

I have to say that I am really missing the experience of eating. The hunger I can deal with its enjoying meals with my family that I am really missing. Hubby has been home since surgery so he has been cooking but I am finding it hard to be around meals that I can't participate in. I know its for the best and before I know I will be tasting "regular' food again, soon enough.

I guess I am mourning a loss! It kind of makes me sad to think I won't be eating chinese food in the living room while watching a movie anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW that what I'll be gaining will be so much greater!

Well, enough of my pity party, take care all. I am so sure that this is the right decision for me and I am certain it is for all of you as well.