Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Hello All,

Haven't posted in a couple of days.. Just wanted to update that I'm doing great.

I came home Monday about 3 hours after the procedure and felt fantastic. I went walking around the neighborhood, and all was well. Then it was time to go to bed... I couldn't find a comfortable position (I've never been able to sleep on my back). Yesterday I felt horrible. The gas had moved up to my shoulders and I had a hard time moving my neck without being in pain. I took some liquid tylenol, and it helped some.

Today, I feel much better. The glue is coming off of two of the incisions, but the hospital said not to worry unless the incisions start to come apart. Haven't been able to go outside to walk, because of the icky weather we are having. So, I am making laps around the house.

The incisions are very tender, and they pull when I stand or sit. Oh, and I had a coughing attack today. That was PAINFUL!!!

I havent lost any weight since I came home. And I am still feeling bloated. But I am so thrilled to be a member of bandland!!

I too hope we continue to update each other on this thread!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me! You've all been inspirational.

I can't sleep tonight...I'm feeling anxious. But I'm SO exited! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

Jessica,

I will be thinking about you! You'll do fantastically!

Looking forward to meeting you at the follow up meeting at the Dr.'s office to compare notes.

Let us know how you are doing when you can!

purtynailz - I LOVE the mushy stage! I've had canned peaches/pears, ground beef, egg salad, turkey burgers (ground turkey with hidden valley ranch seasoning packet mixed in), creamed spinach, Vegetable Soup, meatballs, mashed potatoes, meatloaf. Well I haven't had all that but I did buy the items to make all that. Hope this gives you some ideas!

The next 3 weeks after liquids are mushies or 'transition' phase. Our dietician guidelines say if at any stage there is any discomfort or difficulty digesting foods to downgrade the consistency and try again after another week. Foods to be low fat and no-added sugar wherever possible.

Week 1 of mushies is baby food consistency (build up gradually from soups). Includes soft cereals (porridge, softened wheet bix, semolina), mashed vegetables, mashed tinned fruit, milk, custard, yoghurt, ice cream, tinned or fresh cooked fish, lightly poached or scrambled egg (scramble with a little milk to keep softer, and chew it well!).

Mushies week 2 includes Pasta, couscous, dry biscuits, flaky cereals (no nuts, dried fruit or hard grains; Cereal to be well softened; eg. corn flakes, rice bubbles, special k), cheese, fish and egg as pleased, moist chicken, fresh soft fruits (eg. banana, canteloupe, watermelon, berries, kiwi fruit, mango), non-mashed tinned fruit, whole well-cooked vegetables (pumpkin and potato to be peeled), legumes.

Mushies week 3 includes rice and bread (try wholemeal / wholegrain and or toasted), high fibre cereals (with nuts and fruit), dairy as pleased, red meat (try mince before steak, ensure meat is moist not overcooked to dry), fresh salad ingredients, hard fruits such as apples and pears (slice thinly or peel if necessary). Basically by the end of week 3 we should be back to a normal healthy diet.

I already posted this earlier in the thread. I am loving porridge with a little honey for Breakfast (plain instant oats sachets), mashed veggies (with any or all of yoghurt, cheese, garlic, parsley etc), salmon patties (1 egg, mashed veggies, salmon or tuna, coat in breadcrumbs and lightly fry in a non-stick pan with spray oil). I had a Lean Cuisine salmon gratin for dinner last night, and will have tuna and cottage cheese mixed together for lunch today. I am making fish pie or tuna mornay for dinner tonight (which I use low fat milk & cheese to make the sauce, or a low-fat bought sauce' add corn & zucchini for veg). I also bought some steamed fish fillets in sauce (frozen hake), for work nights, which I'll have with mashed veg. Custard and yoghurt with mashed tinned fruit is great too.

Hello All,

Haven't posted in a couple of days.. Just wanted to update that I'm doing great.

I came home Monday about 3 hours after the procedure and felt fantastic. I went walking around the neighborhood, and all was well. Then it was time to go to bed... I couldn't find a comfortable position (I've never been able to sleep on my back). Yesterday I felt horrible. The gas had moved up to my shoulders and I had a hard time moving my neck without being in pain. I took some liquid tylenol, and it helped some.

Today, I feel much better. The glue is coming off of two of the incisions, but the hospital said not to worry unless the incisions start to come apart. Haven't been able to go outside to walk, because of the icky weather we are having. So, I am making laps around the house.

The incisions are very tender, and they pull when I stand or sit. Oh, and I had a coughing attack today. That was PAINFUL!!!

I havent lost any weight since I came home. And I am still feeling bloated. But I am so thrilled to be a member of bandland!!

I too hope we continue to update each other on this thread!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me! You've all been inspirational.

Congratulations Audrey!!! Welcome to the Band!

I can't sleep tonight...I'm feeling anxious. But I'm SO exited! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

I am sooooo excited for you! Busting my buttons to hear how great you are doing! All the best for today!

Bad news guys, i have developed an infection around three of my incision sites....good news the other four are okay....lol. Had some nasty oozing around my port site today after my Dr. visit. He put me on Cipro and Bactrim. It's probably staph, but it happens. Going to be taking antibiotics for the next 10 days, other then that i feel great. I have lost 14lbs so far and i can tell the difference in my waist for sure...

I'm in good spirits and I will get thru this. Congrats to all who have and are being banded this week, welcome to the club!!!!

Kstar, sorry to hear about your infection!! Follow your Doctor's orders and watch it carefully. If it's not getting better go back in to see your doctor. Glad to hear you're doing well otherwise!

*hugs* K Star! I am sure that the infection will go away soon. On the other hand...14 pounds? That is soooo great!

Kimberly150~

Hang in there! Not much longer! Believe me, the pre-op diet seems like a Las Vegas buffet compared to the liquid stage after your surgery...I'm living it! You will be fine and it is sooo worth it!

Hi there, I too am being banded this month of October on the 27th in Melbourne Australia. 1st day in this site. Good luck everyone. Cheers Syl

Good luck for tomorrow!! I was banded by Mr Chris Hensman at The Valley Private, Mulgrave on 5 Oct. Where are you going & who is your doc??? Hope all goes well for you.

Liquids are getting boring, that is for sure! I don't know what I will have first next week when I can have soft foods! Will it be mashed potatoes, chicken, applesauce, cooked carrots, unpulverized vegetable Soup? I can't wait to find out!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, except for your infection, but antibiotics should clear it up fast. It's interesting that you have 7 incisions, I have 5 and had thought until today that it was usually 4 incisions made. (But what do I know!):cool:

Sorry it took a few days to get around to updating our list. I can't believe that the month is almost over! Welcome to all our new members, and good luck to all being banded up to the end of the month!

Cheers!

Here's our list so far of who is being banded when.

I'll update it as we go. I hope I've got it right, if not, just let me know any changes or additions.

Good luck to all.

OCTOBER

1. .
  2. Shellybeans, chrispygal
  3. Pistol and her FIL, Slocumna, GEORGINAVINCENT, KarenS, Lin
  4. bigmons23, kayleesmom, Bigboy, dancing
  5. Goannabanda, Bandacat, Slim190, kimmiechelle
  6. JWH, lainer, Becka, houstongirl1, Dragonfly, Fluffy36, lastoneinthelak
  7. .
  8. .
  9. Kilcollins, Ladyred, MarySue33, Lots2Love, losingjusme
  10. Kellieatkins30, roxy123, derbygirl
  11. Cowgirl74, bandedmommy, mykidsrock
  12. Jodi-T and her DH (James), nicknac33, LA chula27, Irish Dancers, Big girl banded, bandedmommy, transpo1, bckeye01, abatkins
  13. KStar, PugMaster
  14. .
  15. .
  16. LIHIVE, tiredepot, MsKhris, qbanita75, cootie
  17. purtynailz, s1m1, justpaul1966
  18. mzsmartypantz, traceylb36, JulieSlu, oldspark, TXSunflower, katylady, Mountaindont
  19. macdeb59, moon goddess, three beauties, Denise2, kennedy
  20. mdk63, Ward1990, Momotrips
  21. .
  22. .
  23. Dani-X, Laurenm13, Auntie Aud, Sharlee, magnet6458, sjbarnhill
  24. NINNYED, libertysuzanne, ms883, pumpkin5
  25. Joy Joy, banster boy, namazj
  26. soniacan, raynie, JDru, juliestwu, GetnHealthy, Nanette
  27. renata, winga222, syl e fem
  28. .
  29. .
  30. fullon1au
  31. kimberly150

NO DATE YET:

JILLMC

helensmith

KSTAR Sorry about the infection. I actually go in tomorrow I have a bit of ozzing from one stitch to. I am sure if you take your antibiotic you'll be just fine.