Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allergic to Stitches?

My hourly anxiety strikes again. My incision is flooding. Not just leaking, but change-the-bandage-every-hour leaking. The pharmacist saw me fretting over the hundreds of bandages and asked if she could help me find something. I showed her my incision and said I needed allergy-free bandages for my weeping wound. She saw the allergic reaction from my old bandages and said I might need to have my dissolvable stitches removed and have the real surgical ones to sew me back up. She said some patients can't heal because they are allergic to dissolvable stitches. And then my dog made me spill BBQ Sauce all over my crispy soft Downey-fresh favorite sleepy shirt. PENNI... when you leaked, did you leak across the entire lenght of your wounds? Because when I leaked the first time around, it was only through a little opening. This time it's through several places. I ate over it. Bad band, bad, bad band!

I'm in a state of shock because my doctor KURI (rah rah rah) just called after only 2 hours! Not 2 weeks or 2 months, just 2 hours. He said I have super sensitive skin, and the wound does not need to be re-sewn, and I do not have to spend money on fancy bandages. I need to squeeze the Fluid out, take a shower and slap on a Kotex with some x-tra sensitive fabric tape.

I HEART KURI : )

Kuri used the word "kotex"?

lol

I can't believe he made you wait 2 HOURS!!!!

Just kidding - Kuri is my new hero, because he saved DeLarla's life. I feel like sending him money with a thank you card.

DeLarla, STOP leaking!!! Have you seen Lisa? Louie's looking for her.... He has some pills for her to take...

:)

Lisa: I think your sarcoidosis is rearing it's ugly head with your sensitive skin. My incisions leaked from the whole site. It rained down my belly till I could get a new dressing on it. I too had to squeeze the stuff out. As long as it is clear or semi clear then there is NO infection. If it gets cloudy or turns colors to a milky color then call Dr. Kuri and let him know. You might want to invest in some Hydrocortisone cream for the irritated areas around the incision. It could calm it down considerably. I had to do that with my allergic reaction to the adhesive and the glued incisions. I was allergic to the glue they used to stitch me up. What a hassle!!

How are you being treated for your Sarcoidosis?

No, Donali, Kuri didn't use the word KOTEX. He used the word "what do the women call the thick things they use during the month....." and I jumped in and yelled "KOTEX?" and he said, "YES, that's it!"

Penni, yes, maybe my Sarcoidosis is making me a slow healer.

Now about that leaking. My liquid isn't clear (yet?) I was hoping once the bloody liquid passed it would turn clear. But it's thick-red-not-quite-clotty-blood-but-still-thick-like-the-normal-liquid.

I have hard scar tissue all around the incision. I noticed when I press the scar tissue, this clotty-thick red liquid comes out, so there's a lot of blood in the liquid.

Penni, and I dying... AGAIN?

Oh, and I'm not even worried about the rashes any more. I put lots of 30,000 I.U. Vitamin E on it and that's much better.

But please help... why thick bloody liquid?

Hi again Lisa,

My wound leaked amazing amounts the first couple of days but it was only out a couple of small spots. Just keep an eye on it and keep it cleaned. My husband kept suggesting I put a Kotex on mine at the time:) I was curious what Kuri charged you to do that removal and putting in another one later? Sorry if I am being to forward but wanted to know if I ever run into similar circumstances with Lopez and any problem I might have. Best to keep my options open. Weirdly enough there is a girl in Portland Oregon who is being trained by Ann Marie (from belighter) and she seemed to know all about your case from their perspective. She was amazed I knew all about it and had my own opinions. Guess she hadn't found out about this lap band board yet. Well I sure wish I could meet you sometime, you always crack me up. Take care, Teresa

Lisa: I would get in touch with Kuri again just to let him know about the color of the liquid leaking out. I don't really think there is anything to worry about unless it starts hemorrahaging. Then get to the ER. But I doubt that will happen.

How many Kotex are you going through in one day?

How often are you having to change the pad?

How saturated is the pad?

When you take the pad off is there dried blood area noticable?

These are things Kuri would want to know. It will determine how serious the leaking is. I still think it is serous sanguinous Fluid we are seeing. If it was pure blood then it would smell metally and you would see a difference. I think it is just the body healing and this is how yours reacts.

What ever became of taking the disposable stitches out and putting others in?

I'm not using Kotex - too thick. I've changed my 3x3 gauze bandage 3 times today - not totally soaked, but still more red color than yellow. If it doens't stop I'll call Kuri.

Penni, you rock.

I ROLL too. LOL!! I am so ready for a vacation. How about all you guys?

DeLarla -

What's up with all the leaking, babe? After your last experience I'm afraid to tell you it's nothing.

I think it's time to go back to the vet.... :)

***hugs***

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to use anything with an "oily" base on the Dermabond glue they used until the incision is well healed-at least a couple of weeks. I was never told this by my MX surgeon but when my son had a bad cut near his eye they glued it together and I was warned not to use anything like Neosporin as it would soften/dissolve the glue. This might be adding to your "leaky" problem if the glue is trying to dissolve.

Hope this helps some.

Also, my dermotologist reccomends only Bacitracin ointment. She says Neosporin can be very irritating to sensitive skin

Lisa

I'm not using any ointment on the actual incision, just dry sterile bandages.

I'm using the cream on the surrounding skin that got all blistery from my old bandages (before my doctor told me to switch to cloth.)

Wallgreens has 30,000 I.U. E with added A, D, Cocoa Butter & Lanolin for about 5 bucks. That's also what I put on the scars that already healed over.

Donali, maybe I leak because I drink so much. What's a gal to do? Gee, can't wait to have my port put back in... probably leak like a 100-year flood!