Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressents Pre Or Post Op

Hii all..was anyone on antidepressents pre or post op?? Please share your story with depression..does it increase after VSG??

Hii all..was anyone on antidepressents pre or post op?? Please share your story with depression..does it increase after VSG??

Good question! I've been wondering about the same thing because I have been on them for years and get sleeved on Monday.

I have been on antidepressants for 8 years now. I have a few other issues too and some of the meds have been big time meds. I am doing better as years go by, but no where neagenerating off my meds. My meds keep me 'normal', not sad and monotone. I got my sleeve two weeks ago and I feel great. No matter what your sadness is from, it is nice to feel healthier, prettier and more noticed.

I have lost 20 lbs now post op and it makes me happy finally seeing the scale go down. I took my meds the night before surgery, close to midnight and then I took them the day after surgery. I will say though, I did not have a relationship with food as some do. I heard this can make things hard.

I just never felt full, so I ate. And I ate out of boredom too. I also heard that loosing the weight makes you sad too cause of hormones in the fat cells. This has made me perhaps more ho hum at times. But overall I feel great. Good luck!!!!!

Should have been near getting. Not neagenerating. I don't even know if that is a word or what it means. Autocorrect 8-/

I quit all my meds the night before the op..i dont feel i want them anymore..just afraid to get back to them again

Good question! I've been wondering about the same thing because I have been on them for years and get sleeved on Monday.

Did u quit or still on meds??

My oncologist who recommends the sleeve said "DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE ANTIDEPRESSANTS, HORMONES GO WACKY WHEN LOSING WEIGHT". He didn't really yell but he was very serious with kinda bigger eyes when he said it. He went into more detail about women who get sleeved to help with endometrial cancer, the cancer REVERSES/CURED and they come in for follow up or whatever and are crying and depressed. He is like "Why are you crying?????? THE CANCER IS GONE!!!" and the women just keep crying. Not sleeved yet but not ruling it out. :)

I'm still only 5 weeks post-op, but I still am taking my mood stabilizer. I have actually thought about increasing it. My psychiatrist said that we have plenty of room to increase since I'm on a low dose, and she would be willing to add an anti-depressant if needed. She has treated quite a few post-op patients and said she knows hormones go wacky and even if we do need to increase, she thinks eventually I'll level back out.

My mood the first few weeks was pretty stable. Last week it hit a low like I hadn't had in quite a while, and then this week I'm stable again. I think my hormones are going crazy though - I have had at least 2 periods in the last month and had issues in between each (sorry if tmi) so I think this has been the culprit since pre-surgery I was stable on my medication for over a year.

I would not, absolutely not, go off your medications unless you have talked to both your surgeon and your psychiatrist/doctor prescribing them. Some medications have an awful withdrawal, some can have side effects if you stop them abruptly (like rebound depression, etc), and it's never a good plan to immediately stop something without talking to your physician. Maybe you can talk to them about tapering the dose down or something, but immediately before a big surgery is not the time to be screwing with meds imo. I just don't want you to have any problems/increased depression after.

Also - if you are worried about tablets/capsules/etc - many medications come in liquid/chewable/dissolveable form. You can absolutely keep taking them post surgery and don't have to crush up those tablets because they taste horrible, just ask your pharmacist, most times they will be happy to help.