Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Having Or Had Surgery In New Orleans?

I am from New Orleans and I am thinking about using Dr. Lavin for my surgery. I am hoping to have surgery in February.

Hi! I am doing GREAT! I'm also in Mandeville. After I am better, we will have to meet up for some Decaf coffee or maybe dinner out with our husbands. My husband and I were a little bit worried about food, but now, I don't see it as being too much of an issue. As for crawfish, they told me that I can have boiled seafood. It's low in fat and high in Protein. There's sodium, but that's not really an issue with me. I can't have corn and potatoes and beer, of course, but I can have crawfish, and shrimp and oysters. I imagine that there will come a time after I have met my goal weight or am well on my way that I will go back to Ruth's Chris. I will have 1/2 of a petite filet with no butter, no bread, and some asparagus and maybe a bite of my husband's potatoes and a small glass of wine. I can promise you that after it's all over, you won't feel as though you are missing out. The meal I mentioned above will satisfy you. I am also a firm believer, that you can find anything on any menu to eat. There's always fabulous fish in NOLA. We are also in a very health conscious place in history. Waiters are used to people asking for no butter, sauce on the side, etc. I also saw on Facebook that Molly Kimball from Elmwood Fitness center went to Murials and other NOLA restaurants to create delicious and beautiful health conscious meals. They posted pictures. It looks fabulous. A book that really helped me get over the food issue was this one: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0060567228. It's a short read, and she is a serious New Orleans style foodie. I have read it twice so far. It's really interesting how she stays on her diet and eats some heavenly things. Private message me if you want to talk and be friends!

Hi Beth,

I just ordered the book! I'm trying to prepare as much a head of time as possible. I want try Protein drinks etc before so I'll know what I can stomach. I also ordered Weight Loss for Dummies on Amazon ( a adore Amazon) last week. I haven't started it yet though. I had already thought about Ruth's Chris because I was thinking OMG no more of this or that. And Ruth's Chris immediately came to mind and I thought, well hopefully I'll be able to tolerate the petite filet and creamed spinach! Definitely lets be friends -- would love to get together soon.

slidell here, Dr lavin did mine on august 1st.

At Slidell Surgical Hospital! IT WAS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE! Only regret, should have done years ago, I Wouldnt have misses out on so many things in life, because i was a fatty!

Dana, did you say there is a northshore group? i cant find it, new to site, still learning, mainly post from iphone (app) because of my extreme work schedule. Im looking for a local support group if you guys have any info , one in slidell only meets once a month and I work mostly nights , so its hit and miss!

Hi! Im in Metairie and was reading along. I hope everything is working out for ya'll. I went to Ochsner in Metairie for mine, it was awesome. We have a support group at Ochsner, but I was hoping for something outside of the medical office ;). Would any of you be interesting in meeting up a couple times a month or something along those lines?

Hi Dana,

I'm on the Northshore too! I'm going for my upper GI this morning. On the 90 day track with Blue Cross, I don't have a date yet, still have to get cardio ok and blood work. I am very worried about the food issue, I'm having a really hard time doing pre-op, not able to loose much. I hope insurance is ok with that. I'm interested in support groups also. I know there is one in Slidell, but would love to get together in west St. Tammany.

Robin

Dr lavin is great! He did my sleeve. The food thing is tough at first, but it does get much easier as time goes on. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hey everyone. I am interested in using Dr. Lavin as I heard great things. How long is his pre op diet. Any advice welcomed :)

the longer the pre op diet , the better. Some insurance company's require certain guidelines and you have to lose a certain weight pre op ! Dr Lavin told me " Pre op diet is important, shrinking the size of your Fatty liver , will make surgery go easier and faster recovery. Dont cheat and really concentrate with in the last two weeks before surgery"...... hope this helps

to be quite honest the pre op time and diet was worst for me because i didnt feel full, after surgery, physically feel full all time, just had to deal with head hunger! and that goes away with time.

before surgery if you cheat or eat to much, you just get mad at your self, no physical effects. After, big difference, you overeat or wrong food, You will only do that one time! NOT FUN! I read so many horror stories, i was scared to stay on the straight and narrow!!!!!!

Where is Lavin's office. Where is the surgery taken place?

Where is Lavin's office. Where is the surgery taken place?

His office is in mandeville across street from hospital on fairway, not sure of name , my surgery was done at Slidell surgical hospital, it was wonderful , like a hotel!

Hey everyone. I am interested in using Dr. Lavin as I heard great things. How long is his pre op diet. Any advice welcomed :)

Hi MK,

I'm using Dr. Lavin too. I just had my second NP and Nutritionist visit yesterday. Aetna requires a 90 day medically supervised nutrition program which I will complete in mid November. I'm hoping for a surgery date not long after that. Do you live in the area? I've met two people in the waiting room at Dr. Lavin's office who are from DC and NYC-- they fly in for the post op visits.

Hi Dana,

I forgot to say that I am having my surgery with Dr. Lavin also.

Robin

Hi Dana,

I'm on the Northshore too! I'm going for my upper GI this morning. On the 90 day track with Blue Cross, I don't have a date yet, still have to get cardio ok and blood work. I am very worried about the food issue, I'm having a really hard time doing pre-op, not able to loose much. I hope insurance is ok with that. I'm interested in support groups also. I know there is one in Slidell, but would love to get together in west St. Tammany.

Robin

Hi Robin!

I must have missed this post -- I'm sorry!! Sometimes I've got like 50 notifications and I'm having trouble keeping up.

How did your Upper GI go? I just went for my second NP and Nutritionist visit yesterday. Aetna requires a 90 day song and dance too. My 90 days is up Nov 14. It cannot get here soon enough. What type of program on you on? I only lost 2 pounds in my first 30 days. Vesta said she was fine with that. Does Blue Cross require you to lose before surgery? ( Aetna doesn't -- they just want you to do the song and dance). I'm in Mandeville -- where are you?

I would love to get together... let me know what works for you! It would be really nice to go through this with someone close by! When is your 90 days up?

~Dana

I don't mean to brag, but anybody who uses Dr Lavin is lucky! He is great and his support staff is good also, I could see why people travel to use him!