Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I have spent so much of my life trying to accept that I would be 'the fat friend' for the rest of my life. Not only that.' date=' buy I would never forgive myself if I let this fat get in the way of my chance of being a mother. I have to have my Fallopian Tubes removed later in the year, so finding out that needed to be done really put me into a deep depression. I feel as though my sleeve surgery will give me a new chance at life. And I am grateful for that.

I am on day 2 of my 14 day Pre-Op diet and it is pure agony! The only thing helping me through is knowing that I have a huge prize at the end!!

I wish you all the very best on your journey!! :D[/quote']

Nicky...what is your surgery date? I got the call this morning...my surgery will be June 26!!!!

My date is June 14! So I am on the count down!! It's all very exciting!!!! Best of luck to you! :D

Awesome.good luck to you too! I have to start my semi-liquid diet on the 12tb or prior if I want to...by "semi" she meant and stressed I should eat one healthy low fat meal per day and use shakes and liquids for the other meals but if they don't hold off the hunger enough I can add a Protein bat here and there too....not too bad, I can handle that!!!

Hurting a lot and listening to my knees sounding like rice krispies every time I sat down.

That and going to the drive in movies and feeling the camping chair slowly bend closer to the ground until it wouldn't close up any more.

We wanted to go to Six Flags before school starts but I got so depressed thinking about walking, riding and just sitting while everyone had fun, we decided to cancel. And that depressed me even more. We cancelled a mini vacation because of my weight.

Been toying with the idea of WLS, but I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired, you know?

I am dying laughing over here "my knees sounding like rice krispies every time I sat down" but trust me I know the feeling...I had bad knees before the weight gain and the extra weight didn't make it any better.

I was 260lbs and despite the fact that my face looked like it was going to explode...I did nothing I simply couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. So it continued to live in misery. I had a co-worker who kept talking to me about weight loss surgery and told me I should get the surgery and I refused. When she got her surgery, her once over sized body just started fading away and that when I was ready. It should have never taken me to see someone else's results to move forward but I guess I needed to see it would work for me too. I'm much happier now. :D

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I have spent so much of my life trying to accept that I would be 'the fat friend' for the rest of my life. Not only that., buy I would never forgive myself if I let this fat get in the way of my chance of being a mother. I have to have my Fallopian Tubes removed later in the year, so finding out that needed to be done really put me into a deep depression. I feel as though my sleeve surgery will give me a new chance at life. And I am grateful for that.

I am on day 2 of my 14 day Pre-Op diet and it is pure agony! The only thing helping me through is knowing that I have a huge prize at the end!!

I wish you all the very best on your journey!! :D

There was a time when I never thought I would see 175lbs so to hit 260lbs was a shock. I was active duty Navy and never had a weight problem until 6 month before I separated at one time I thougt I was big at 150lbs (what was I thinking lol). I just kept getting bigger and bigger then I lost some weight, then gained some when I was pregnant with my daughter, loss all the baby weight only to gain it all back plus 35lbs. I too just threw in the towel and decided that being over weight was just the way it was going to be. Just keep envisioning yourself being at your ideal weight in your mind, start feel how you will feel when your trying on new clothes and love your body now. Don't worry about what you look like at the moment because that is all going to change start loving the new you right now. I'm so happy I got the surgery. I wish you well. Cheers to better health :)

One day I was walking through the local grocery store in the chip and soda aisle and I smelled a terrible smell like rotting meat. I looked over at the man next to me and he had ulcerated diabetic feet and his cart was filled to the brim with chips and soda. I made a mad dash for the produce aisle and started to think things over.

I was close to 290 pounds and had border line diabetes. My family has diabetics on both sides, mom, sister, aunts, grandmas...all of them suffer horribly from diabetes. Some members of my family have gone blind and have worse things happen to them because of the awful things diabetes does to the body.

I decided I wanted to lose the weight so that I could avoid getting diabetes because it is a scary disease and so many people in my family have it. Eventually, I too would have it and be like the man in the chip and soda aisle if I didn't make a change or worse...perhaps blind too!

So at that point I went to the doctor and begged for real medical help to lose the weight. I have been trying to control it unsuccessfully all of my life. Having access to medications, support, and nutritional training helped me lose 100 pounds before I got my sleeve. Now I am hoping that after my surgery I will be able to maintain a healthy weight for life and avoid Diabetes and other diseases that effect obese people.

I wonder if the guy knows he smells like a rotting carcass? When you're around yourself 24/7, sometimes you can't smell it anymore :(

It was a couple things for me; realizing my BMI was too high to qualify for being an egg donor, even though I'm a perfect fit everywhere else. Realizing that my last pair of "comfy" jeans -- the pair that used to fall off my admittedly nonexistent butt! -- were now so tight they hurt when I sat down. Realizing it hurts my hips to try to cross my legs. :[

Ready for a change~

Knowing for years I was the "fat" friend everyone tries to stand in front of when pictures are taken because I have such low self esteem. Knowing that one day I want to ride the rides at Six Flags with my future grandchildren. To stand beside my daughter the day she get's married and not be embarrassed by the way I look. To walk beside my husband and make him feel proud of the person he married 28 years ago....to live again and not be embarrassed that I can't fit into airlines seats, booths, seats at sports events, movie theaters. In the end there is so much more to life to see, touch and explore in this short life that we live....I long for the day I can walk into any store without going to the plus size department pick out something cute and it actually fits...that day tears will be shed. The day people notice me instead of saying your so funny, your face is so pretty, etc.....

Knowing for years I was the "fat" friend everyone tries to stand in front of when pictures are taken because I have such low self esteem. Knowing that one day I want to ride the rides at Six Flags with my future grandchildren. To stand beside my daughter the day she get's married and not be embarrassed by the way I look. To walk beside my husband and make him feel proud of the person he married 28 years ago....to live again and not be embarrassed that I can't fit into airlines seats' date=' booths, seats at sports events, movie theaters. In the end there is so much more to life to see, touch and explore in this short life that we live....I long for the day I can walk into any store without going to the plus size department pick out something cute and it actually fits...that day tears will be shed. The day people notice me instead of saying your so funny, your face is so pretty, etc.....[/quote']

I can totally understand everything you wrote in the post. Things will get better I promise :)

My now ex husband cheating on me. She was thinner and in great shape. I was too at the time I met him but the problems between he and I made me depressed and I gained a ton of weight. Along with the weight came Acne which I never had before and my knees started to hurt. I realized I needed to get back to being the attractive me for me. I left him, had the surgery and now I am working out like I did before I met him. I am now dating a pro athlete who constantly tells me how amazing my body is and how beautiful I am. I am no longer insecure and I am glad I left my ex husband. I have a new life. P.S. I was only 183 at my biggest but that was enough for me.

Good for you and your pro-athlete. I'm hoping to land one of those myself , lol

Hello...I am Denise and I am 44 years old. I have diabetes since my youngest son was born, he is 22now. I have an older son who is 23 and a grandson who is 23. My current weight is 186 and I am 5 foot 8. The reason I am having the gastric sleeve is because I have gastroperisis. It happens when you have had diabetes for years. Basically you don't digest food anymore. It sits on your stomach and comes back up. I also have a super pubic catheter because diabetes ruined my bladder. Neuropathy....I also have lupus...Chron's...fibromyalgia. I am just very, very sick. My Chron's doctor recommended that I have this operation. I went to see the surgeon yesterday. My operation is scheduled for July 5th. I am on a liquid diet and have been for a while. I didn't have to have all the pre surgery stuff. In fact the DR said I wouldn't loose much weight because I am having it for a different reason.

I have a wonderful husband who is so supportive. He has been worried about me and all my illnesses. His parents are wonderful also. I have been on disability because of everything, my husband has a good job as a Sports Editor. I want to be around for my son's and my grandson ....I want to watch my oldest son get married. He has a big wedding planned for September 21. I want to grow old with my husband. I just want my quality of life to be better.

Has anyone else had the operation for a different reason then to loose weight?