Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Hello...I am Denise and I am 44 years old. I have diabetes since my youngest son was born, he is 22now. I have an older son who is 23 and a grandson who is 23. My current weight is 186 and I am 5 foot 8. The reason I am having the gastric sleeve is because I have gastroperisis. It happens when you have had diabetes for years. Basically you don't digest food anymore. It sits on your stomach and comes back up. I also have a super pubic catheter because diabetes ruined my bladder. Neuropathy....I also have lupus...Chron's...fibromyalgia. I am just very, very sick. My Chron's doctor recommended that I have this operation. I went to see the surgeon yesterday. My operation is scheduled for July 5th. I am on a liquid diet and have been for a while. I didn't have to have all the pre surgery stuff. In fact the DR said I wouldn't loose much weight because I am having it for a different reason.

I have a wonderful husband who is so supportive. He has been worried about me and all my illnesses. His parents are wonderful also. I have been on disability because of everything, my husband has a good job as a Sports Editor. I want to be around for my son's and my grandson ....I want to watch my oldest son get married. He has a big wedding planned for September 21. I want to grow old with my husband. I just want my quality of life to be better.

Has anyone else had the operation for a different reason then to loose weight?

Hi Denise,

I had my surgery because of weight loss but my co-worker had the gastric bypass to lose weight but most importantly it was a cure for her diabetes. I'm surprised that they aren't performing the bypass since your having problems digesting your food but that's why they are the doctors and I'm not :) Have you ever considered a raw food diet? You may find it beneficial. I've been researching the Hippocrates Health Institute for some time and they have a program I would like to attend plus they break down the benefits of wheatgrass which I used to grow but got away from it among other good habits that lead to my weight gain in the first place. I wish you well; take it one day at a time.

Photos. One of my best friends since kindergarten died after knee surgery due to her weight... Pulmonary embolism. She was plus sized and 37 when she died. My bio mom died of a heart attack at 44. I had gestational diabetes having to take insulin and now see it creeping back with blood sugar readings. Hypothyroid. My baby boy who will be 2 and my husband whom I love so very much.

Hi Denise,

I had my surgery because of weight loss but my co-worker had the gastric bypass to lose weight but most importantly it was a cure for her diabetes. I'm surprised that they aren't performing the bypass since your having problems digesting your food but that's why they are the doctors and I'm not :) Have you ever considered a raw food diet? You may find it beneficial. I've been researching the Hippocrates Health Institute for some time and they have a program I would like to attend plus they break down the benefits of wheatgrass which I used to grow but got away from it among other good habits that lead to my weight gain in the first place. I wish you well; take it one day at a time.

Thank you so much for your concern. I have thought about being a vegan but my dr said no my primary dr has been wonderful...I have been in and out of the hospital because of malnutrition and dehydration. I have a super pubic catheter because diabetes ruined my bladder. It sounds like I'll be taking supplements and drinking liquids for the rest of my life . I need a buddy who will remain in contact with me.

Thank you so much for your concern. I have thought about being a vegan but my dr said no my primary dr has been wonderful...I have been in and out of the hospital because of malnutrition and dehydration. I have a super pubic catheter because diabetes ruined my bladder. It sounds like I'll be taking supplements and drinking liquids for the rest of my life . I need a buddy who will remain in contact with me.

I volunteer at a local animal rescue - I am a HUGE animal lover and want to be a veterinarian. One day I was trying to get into an outdoor enclosure and three small dogs escaped and ran straight for a busy street. I wasn't able to run fast or far enough to catch them. Luckily, none of them were hurt, but not being physically able to respond in that emergency was the last straw for me. I would never have been able to forgive myself if anything had happened to one of them.

The things that got me seriously considering surgery: 1. For the first time I felt inhibited in the bedroom. Something about the 20 pounds I gained and didn't lose after my pregnancy really changed how I felt about myself.

2. I absolutely do not want to pass my food issues and/or obesity onto my 14 month old son.

The thing that made me 100% sure I wanted to do this: I was talking with my husband about it, and he said that sometimes when he sees a very heavy person on a motorized scooter at the grocery store he thinks that will be me someday (He emphasized that he would still love me if that were me). It broke my heart.

I was diagnosed diabetic in April & (unmedicated) my blood pressure was 200/135. I was sleeved June 6th & have already lost 17lbs & my BP was 110/71(medicated) when i went to my post op appointment June 17th. I was able to discontinue my evening BP pill. I have NO regrets. Even after trying to get pneumonia right after my surgery. I feel like I've been reborn & given a second chance at life. I'm gonna do it right this time! Good luck to everyone in their journey.

For me, a combination of things:

Not being able to clip my own toenails if I want to breathe at the same time.

My wife and kids hearing a guy making fun of me to his buddies while I was going down a Water slide.

Lack of interest in sex due to the physical exertion required

Needing a 44" waist and all the clothing store goes up to is 40" (Frustrating)

Being in meeting and the people on either side of you stay far away because they assume you need more room.

Being the only fat guy in the mandatory wellness class at work :)

Flying.

Cramming myself into the booth when we go out to eat.

Being an identical twin and having people mention how easily they can tell you apart from each other now

I knew I had enough when:

I had to buy size 24 clothes.

My mother died at 66 due to morbid obesity.

I didn't go out or travel as much.

But the final straw that had me crying, was using the bathroom and not being able to twist my body to properly clean myself, and having to carry an adult diaper bag when I was out.

I tried Weight Watchers and dropped 25 pounds but I yo-yo'd and gained it back. I was successful in getting down and staying at a size 20 but I am still obese.

While unpacking a box a few years ago I came across a news article I had cut out in 2004 about the new procedure of the sleeve. Upon reading it again I knew I wanted the procedure but needed more information.

Upon both my parents dying a month and two weeks apart in 2007 and depression setting in I was gaining weight. When all of my sized 22s I saved were finding their way back into my everyday attire I knew it was time.

So in 2010 I began my research into what my insurance covered. Kept dieting and got the 25 off again. Then on June 1, 2012 I attended my first seminar at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA.

Even though I experienced a bump in the road I persevered. And I have my date for a new and exciting phase of my life July 22, 2013. When I got my date it felt like getting winner numbers for powerball LOL.

I hope to be able to list my success and accomplishments.

Continued success on your journey.

Karen

I didn't have one major moment, just multiple ones. Realizing I can't ride most rides at fairs and parks because of my size. Looking at every chair wondering if I can sit there, did it have arms that my hips fit in. Seeing the 303 number. Hearing my son yell at me about being picked on due to my size. Having to order on line for clothes and having to dress in fat clothes. Feeling like I was being watched every time I ate. Having to go on a cpap machine, knowing that I am gambling everyday with my health as currently, I do not have any other health issues related to my weight.

I personally had lost my health and all of my independence. I had Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, CHF, Hashimoto's Disease, the list goes on and on and I could not go shopping at all because I could not walk and our local stores had no scooters. I could not shower alone. I could not walk without a walker. I could not cook anymore as I could not stand that long. I could not clean my home at all. I could not do anything without help. I was sick of simply existing and wanted to live again!!! I new this was the only way I could get better so I did it and I have never looked back!

There are many many reasons, but it has come down to me recognizing that I couldn't do it on my own. I would lose weight by diet and exercise, but then gain it right back with some extra pounds as well.

After my last family vacation this past April and seeing the photos (which I constantly avoided), I decided "this is it". I will no longer allow my excess weight to dictate my life. It is great to know that when I return to the beach next spring, I will no longer be afraid to be in the camera or on the beach with my family. I cannot wait to join the sleeve side soon.

I have been heavy since my first pregnancy, 15 years ago. And you all know the spiel that gym and diet weren't working....well in the last 6 months I have become Anemic, Asthmatic, and worried what will come next. My mother was always heavy- until she got cancer and then passed away 4 years later- that was the only time she was thin. I don't want to only be thin because I get sick- I want to be thin and live my life in hopes of not getting sick- so my mother's passing last Thanksgiving (2012) was a real eye opener in the weight department for me. And that was the straw that broke the camels back!

How are you doing? I know diabetes is serious condition but I just never realized to what degree or extreme. Not to sound like I'm preaching or anything but are you into inspirational books? I like inspirational and law of attraction audios and books. They really help me to focus on the positive (I'm a working process :) ). I've been keeping a gratitude book and I got the idea from a book I'm currently reading. I can tell you just from reading your post it definitely puts things into perspective for me. When I hear/read other people's story, I realize I'm wallowing for no reason and I need to be more grateful. So thanks for sharing. Stay positive and take time to do the things that make you feel good.