Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ah so glad this one didn't turn into a hot-house! I had heard that (contrary to popular belief) carbonation doesn't stretch the sleeve, it just makes you a little uncomfortable... It is the lapband that is physically affected by bubbles... Have any of you come across data or anecdotes by surgeons about this? You can pm me if you don't want a flame throwing party... Also I'm a teetotaller, so it's purely to be more widely informed :) sorry for gatecrashing men *blush*

Well, last weekend I really drank beer for the first time in almost a year. I had tried a sip or two a few months ago from a bottle and the carbonation made it awful on my stomach. A friend of mine had a get together last weekend and there was a keg of Yuengling (spelling?). It's seems to be true about the draft beer......much easier to drink and I had about 3 "solo cups" full of it in about a 2 hour span. It tasted wonderful and went down easily, not bothering my stomach! It was almost too good....now I'm thinking I can drink beer (draft) again. But going to try not to....way too many empty calories.

My doc told me that he redid a sleeve on a man last year. Chief failing? Six pack of beer a,day which he thought was fine cuz he used to drink a case. We discussed this because champs will come back into my diet, but not daily or weekly where it was, for just this reason.

My neighbor is 4-years in on his sleeve. He said he can't really tolerate the carbonation. Last month they went to some pub in Boston - the oldest in the country - and he indulged in one pint. He said 20 minutes later, he was throwing up foam in the bathroom - which he expected - but still said it was worth it.

99% of the time when he's drinking, he's sipping high-end tequila - either on the rocks, or fake rocks.

I'm preparing, mentally, to give up beer. :( Figure if I indulge, it will probably be Maker's or Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey on the rocks.

As a former semi-professional beer chugger and amateur homebrewer, the giving up of beer was a chief concern of mine. But, as with everything else, you just have to buck up and do what's right for yourself. I've already given away all my homebrew equipment and made the transition to the (occasional) scotch. But man, I do miss yuengling. Can't get that out here in Cali.

Light beer? Huh? Does not compute.

Haha, awesome.

But man, I do miss yuengling. Can't get that out here in Cali.

You can probably find it at BevMo, no?

I don't know what it is about Yuengling... it just seemed average to me, but folks from PA really love it!

Unfortunately Arcus, no you can't get it at BevMo

From the Yuengling website:

Where does Yuengling distribute beer? Can beer be shipped to me?

Unfortunately, federal law prohibits us from shipping beer directly to you. Yuengling is a regional brewery that has manufacturing facilities in Pottsville PA and Tampa FL. It simply is not logistically feasible to transport beer outside of our current footprint. All of our beer reaches retailers through our wholesale partners. Yuengling is currently distributed in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama.

Not to get too off topic, but quite simply, for anyone who went to college in or around Philly / Southeast PA, this was THE beer that represented the transition away from the toilet Water varieties of Natty Light, Beast, Bud, MGD, Coors, etc. that permeated everything on or near campus, and graduated you to "beer snob in training" status. No, it's not the best tasting, but it was always cheap and certainly better than the standard fare available at the time --- this was before the craft microbrew boom, of course. (On a related note: Damn I miss college!)

What's the story with alcohol? Is vodka the liquor of choice as far as 'clear' is lower sugar/carbs? I'm not a big drinker but I love my tap beer and shots now and then! I'm sure my 'shot' days are over!

What's the story with alcohol? Is vodka the liquor of choice as far as 'clear' is lower sugar/carbs? I'm not a big drinker but I love my tap beer and shots now and then! I'm sure my 'shot' days are over!

Anything with alcohol is going to be bad for you, so moderation is the trick, vodka os no exception, the big trick w/vodka is watching what you mix it with. O.J & cranberry areboth pretty sugary.

So, it's the sugar in alcohol that needs to be avoided? Does alcohol itself hurt the sleeve? I can imagine where before the op. I could do 2-3 shots of vodka or tequila- I guess maybe a small sip could do the trick, too.post-op.thanks for the info-my surgery is in 2-1/2 weeks (10/11/12) I'm starting to frisk out a little (the Pre-op diet is messing with my head!) ;)

I love beer! I grew up in Germany so it was just a way of life. My husband and I are planning on going to October fest for our 40th. He reminded me last week that it will be different because I probably will not and cannot drink beer as I have had in the past. I told him we could go to Paris since I now have an appreciation for wine. I can't see going to October Fest and not being able to have all my favorite German Beer. It did make me sad.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

So' date=' it's the sugar in alcohol that needs to be avoided? Does alcohol itself hurt the sleeve? I can imagine where before the op. I could do 2-3 shots of vodka or tequila- I guess maybe a small sip could do the trick, too.post-op.thanks for the info-my surgery is in 2-1/2 weeks (10/11/12) I'm starting to frisk out a little (the Pre-op diet is messing with my head!) ;)[/quote']

As long as you aren't doing it on a regular basis a few drinks are fine.

Don't plan on drinking alcohol for at least 6 weeks after surgery. And then when you do go slow. Most of us find we are a lot more sensitive to the effects of alcohol post-op. I personally could kill 7 or 8 beers pre-op and not feel anything, 6weeks post-op 2 drinks had me wobbly & slurring.

Alchohol itself isn't bad for your sleeve, but unless you are drinking Everclear all distilled liquer has a lot of sugar in it.

I love beer! I grew up in Germany so it was just a way of life. My husband and I are planning on going to October fest for our 40th. He reminded me last week that it will be different because I probably will not and cannot drink beer as I have had in the past. I told him we could go to Paris since I now have an appreciation for wine. I can't see going to October Fest and not being able to have all my favorite German Beer. It did make me sad.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

Thanks for the great info! I'm sure gonna miss pumpkin beer with a cinnamon sugar rim this fall-- but next fall I'm throwing my own back yard Octoberfest- wearing my boots 'n jeans! (miss wearing jeans the most!) The alcohol will have to wait. What's up with a little weed? (ooops?). I like to indulge from time 2 time - I'm not a druggie, just like the mj. 

I have the occasional beer. I try to stick to less carbonated beers and always pour in a glass to get rid of some bubbles. I waited until about 3 months out. I can really only tolerate 1 because they make me so full. I can't remember what it is called but a good wheat beer cut with OJ is a refreshing treat and helps with the carbonation.

Blue moon or a hefenweizen beer (wheat) is also my beer of choice but I'm only 1.5 weeks post op so I will wait 6 months.