Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Weightloss For The Sleeve Vs Bypass

Does anyone know if the sleeve or the bypass have better long term weightloss statistics? Or are they about the same? I know they haven't been doing the sleeve as long as the bypass as a solo procedure but I'm just concerned about regaining weight in the long run. I would appreciate any information. Thanks!

There are no long term stats for the sleeve - it is too new as a stand alone procedure. The stats from my surgeons practice~

RNY Gastric Bypass: patients lose 50 to 80% of their excess weight within 2 years.

Sleeve: patients lose 50 - 70% of the excess weight within 2 years

AGB/band: 50-65% in first two years.

VSG can be the first surgery for folks with high BMI's - it can be converted to a RNY or a Duodenal switch if things are not working.

I was sleeved 2 yrs ago and one of my best friends was bypassed 2 yrs too we have kept our weight offwe do work out 3times. A week. In my mind I have set a weight that I will nerver never go over an has worked for me I stay at 118 to 121 I haven't had any trouble she has been scoped twice. Well once I am taking her tomorrow to be be careful of junk food it goes down easier than some meats I try an stay away. I drink hot tea or coffee after meals seem to help. Hope this helps

I was told by my doctor that they have been very close in weight loss. The sleeve

was done in the past as the first step and not a stand alone procedure But, found

people lost enough weight that the second was not needed. I was approve for the RYN

than changed to the sleeve.I will be sleeved Aug 6. I was told by my doctor that with

any procedure a person can gain the weight back. This is a tool to help weight loss and

the diet needs to be followed to suceed.

Good Luck

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm just concerned about long term and gaining the weight back but I know it is all up to me I have to use my tool correctly. There is no "magic" wand.

Yes but it is also know the odds I know I responded to uR post already but feel. The need to tell u once u lose the weight and feel great I mean great you will work hard to keep off trust me I have a mind set to it an u will use every tool possible my email address is gatacous@yahoo.com if any thing u like to know or support I've been two years now and I'm no expert but I feel there were things I would have done I wish u luck

Yes but it is also know the odds I know I responded to uR post already but feel. The need to tell u once u lose the weight and feel great I mean great you will work hard to keep off trust me I have a mind set to it an u will use every tool possible my email address is gatacous@yahoo.com if any thing u like to know or support I've been two years now and I'm no expert but I feel there were things I would have done I wish u luck

Thank you so much for the advice and the offer of support! I appreciate it so much and I take it to heart. I will definitely keep your email as I'm sure I will have many questions and it is wonderful for u to offer. I am scheduled to have the sleeve in November and I know I need to have mind right before then. My biggest fear is to do all this and then gain the weight back. I can.only defeat myself I guess. Thanks again!

Yes u will go thru many things back and forth trust me I went from 240 To 120. Half of me there will be many questions I have found this form about 4 months ago an wish I had but I never regret doing wish I done earlier