Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Correlation Between Menopause And Weight Loss?

Just wondering if those of us who are already in menopause are sensing that losing weight even with VSG is more of a struggle than if we had done it at a younger age?

It is so delightful to me to be past that time in my life and when I read of those who are struggling with that "TOM" and the associated Water retention/weight gain, I am grateful to not have to deal with that on top of the challenges of our new way of living.

I do feel that my metabolism is slower that it used to be and I am a slow loser, but slow and steady and I feel better than I did in my 30's as I am much lighter on my feet and I feel more like my younger self.

Interested to know what your take might be on this....

I don't believe that age has affected my metabolism. I have lost steady like others. I believe that exercise does help with our metabolism increasing. I know that my body struggles with metabolizing fats and sugars, so I really try to avoid those. :)

Just wondering if those of us who are already in menopause are sensing that losing weight even with VSG is more of a struggle than if we had done it at a younger age?

It is so delightful to me to be past that time in my life and when I read of those who are struggling with that "TOM" and the associated Water retention/weight gain, I am grateful to not have to deal with that on top of the challenges of our new way of living.

I do feel that my metabolism is slower that it used to be and I am a slow loser, but slow and steady and I feel better than I did in my 30's as I am much lighter on my feet and I feel more like my younger self.

Interested to know what your take might be on this....

I'm 42 now and I hit perimenopause at about 38 and full blown at 40. I've had a HECK of a time losing weight in the last 10 years, and coincidentally, that's after my children were all born. I don't what all that means, but this surgery is the first time I've had any success losing weight in years and years.

I'm perimenopausal as well - only get the visitor about twice a year. I'm not losing as fast as some on here, but I'm doing okay with 2 or 3 pounds a week. I'm also exercising three times a week - cardio and strength training and while I'm still onl losing 2 or 3 pounds a week, my clothes are getting looser, faster, so that's good for me. The strength/resistence training definitely boosts your metabolism!

I went into menopause at 45, and was 56 when I had my surgery. I realized early on that I was not going to be one of the people who lost 50 lbs in 3 months and got to goal in six. I don't think menopause had anything to do with my weight loss but I think years of dieting over and over did unknown damage to my metabolism. Certainly during those years I never felt "full" except on those occasions when I was stuffed to the gills. Thank heavens those days are gone!

I'm 58, several years past menopause and have always been a slow loser before, during and after menopause. But at least with the sleeve, I am losing and am now within 7 lbs of my goal weight, (having lost 77 lbs). NEVER in my life could I have lost it without the sleeve, I'm convinced. So I don't think menopause has as much to do with it as your overall make up. I'm just eternally grateful that this was available and like katie713, I feel healthier now than I did in my 30's. I do have to say though, this last 10 lbs is taking it's sweet time coming off! But at this point, I fee good and I'm not in any big hurry.

For me, I do think menopause has had an effect on my weight loss and how it's not coming off anywhere near what used to happen years ago. I also believe exercise is going to play a major role in helping to speed up my slowed metabolism. It's all good though, at first I was freaking out weighing the same thing for 3 weeks, or losing 2 pounds and then gaining 1. I have changed my thinking and just want to eat healthy for the majority of the time, get that Protein and Water in, burn calories with exercise, and the rest will take care of itself in its own good time!

I do believe that menopause slows your metabolism. I gained weight even quicker after having a full hysterectomy at age 40, without changing my diet or exercise. And it became much harder to lose. Of course every yoyo diet I went on also impacted my weight loss. I am also loosing only 2-3 lbs a week, but am following the plan to the best of my ability, so it is what it is. I can only impact the things I have control over. What I eat, how much I eat, and my exercise. The rest is up to God and the body he gave me.

Joni and new hope I agree. I would be happy with 2-3 lobs per week and to eat healthy. I noticed a big change after going through menopause. What metabolism do we still have that lol

This last week weigh in was about 1/2 lb. Not much I can do about it though. I did measure this last week end and saw some positive results in the measurements.

I wasn't able to weigh myself yesterday, so I did today and I'm at my high bounce of 151 lbs. I have evaluated my date and am consuming approximately 1200 calories on my bad day. :( So I'm wondering if I'm at the end of my weight loss? Hummm, I'm not ready to give up. I won't be able to drop 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks so I won't make my challenge this labor day. But that's ok. I just want to eat healthy.

Dorrie...do you feel comfortable with the weight you are at now? At times I wonder if i will be able to get to goal? I have over 40 pounds to go and it is slow going, but I am still very committed. One thing about being in menopause is not experiencing the Water weight gain around that time of the month..

Me too... I was diagnosed peri menopausal at 39 but I had the symptoms long before I went to the doc to get it checked! Believing that I was way too you...ha!

I also feel that this as inhibited my weight loss... for 10 mths I have lost a pound, and that was 2 weeks ago - -during that time I tried different hormone Patches and tablets but they just didn't agree with me... at all!

So, I am not on anything now and my weight is stable at 163-164. I have at least another 9lbs to my surgeon's goal weight and 23 to my personal one. I am not sure that I will ever reach my personal one, and therefore a 'normal' BMI but that is ok. I need to reach my surgeon's goal though... to feel that I haven't let him down! Oh and I am over 2 years out now!

I will keep plodding along though.

On the topic of exercise, I am not sure that it actually helps me with my weight loss... as since May I have been unable to train. I will get back to it though. Not to lose weight - but to get strong and continue to tone up. I have some really nice muscle definition coming and I don't want to lose it now...lol!

I wasn't able to weigh myself yesterday, so I did today and I'm at my high bounce of 151 lbs. I have evaluated my date and am consuming approximately 1200 calories on my bad day. :( So I'm wondering if I'm at the end of my weight loss? Hummm, I'm not ready to give up. I won't be able to drop 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks so I won't make my challenge this labor day. But that's ok. I just want to eat healthy.

Dorrie... you are, to me, already at goal!!! Seriously, if my BMI was 23 then I would cruising into maintenance now! Just remember how far you have come, how brilliant you feel and how great you look! Hugs my friend =]

Hey Coops, thanks for putting this in perspective. I am at goal but am freaking out about my bounce. I am so afraid that I have failed also by gaining and reverting back to old habits. So scarey. :wacko: You my friend are awesome! You have been and still are very determined to get those pesky lbs off and you will! I love your determination and you always have great feedback and messages for others. Thank you so much for all your support. Keep on with healthy eating and exercise when possible. :)

Katie: I know that I feel comfortable in my body right now and I prefer to wear a size medium when I can fit in a size small. I don't like clothes that are snug on me. The shirt in my pic is a size small and I gave it too my daughter. When I was past the 1/2 way mark to my goal, my weight slowed down also and took a while to get here. I had the same fears as you and every one else that i was done losing and was the first failure. But in reality, there is no such thing as a failure here (in my book). We have not taken the easy way out, this is the hardest thing that we have ever done in our lives. We made a great decision for us and it will be a tool for us for the rest of our lives. I will always eat Protein and veggies and try to keep sugars to a minimum.