Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Water And Staying Hydrated

I drink Vitamin Water. I eat watermelon and ice pops but I still feel like I am not hydrated enough. Does anyone have any other tips to my self hydrated?

How much Water are you drinking? I think you need to drink drink drink!!!!!

I don't think I am drinking enough. I am 4 weeks out and it's so hard to drink Water. Last week was a bad week for me I almost ended up in the ER because I felt so weak. I feel much better this week and I am not going to bathroom a lot so I know I need water in me. I just wondering if anybody had any tips.

I was wondering if I will ever be able to drink Water like I could pre op. I'm in construction and yesterday I had to work outside in Arizona at 108 degrees. I got dehidrated very quick. I could not drink enough water fast enough. I did drink so much that I vomited from drinking too much too fast. It was only about 8oz. I am 2 weeks post op.

Is it that you can't get the Water down? Why don't you try crystal lite or unsweetened iced tea or something that is water with some flavor. Perhaps that'll help...? I think you definitely need to drink more water because dehydration is no joke. I've been hospitalized for it in the past... OOOOOoooooWeeee!!! It was bad. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Just keep sipping away!! If all else fails, you can contact your doctor and ask for their advice...!?

I agree with Tina - try some fluids with flavor, it will help. I used to sip on lemon+mint juice or iced tea the whole day during the first couple of months, coz I couldnt get enough Water in me during summer (It is always HOT AS HELL where I live!!)

Also, I learned just a couple of days ago from a discussion in this forum, that coffee will dehydrate you faster. So - if you consume more caffine, try to avoid it for a while.

When I get sick of Water (and I only drink Fruit20, so its all flavored) I switch to broth...chicken (I love Manischevitz chicken consommé), or beef (Campbells beef consommé is pretty good). If you're worried about Protein intake, you can also add some unflavored Protein Powder to the broth...kill two birds with one stone. Any liquid that you drink will count towards your "water" intake, and help keep you hydrated. Best of luck to you!

Thank you. I willtry that.

Watermelon is a natural diuretic. If you are concerned about dehydration you don't want to eat watermelon.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

JRoybal

had to delete what i wrote - responded to wrong email

i make so many ooooops - so sorry

kathy

I struggled with this also. I now mix some low calorie Gatorade with Water and am able to get a lot of fluids in that way. I was really struggling with plain water bc it would not feel good in my stomach. So I had bought a Gatorade at the store and wow, within a half hour I had rank the whole bottle. It felt good and now I don't have any troubles with getting my Fluid in on a daily basis.

Hi Kathy!

I love your pic! I finally get to see you! Yayyyyyy! I love reading your feedback to others! :)

Sometimes you just have to sit down, and not get back up till you have had at least a few ounces of Water.

I still get distracted and so not sip enough, which can leave me at a deficit by the end of the day.

A bit more personal - consider tracking your urination levels...you may be losing excessive Water.< /p>

Hi Kathy!

I love your pic! ,love reading your feedback to others! :)

hey bud, thanx for the nice comment - it is so nice to hear :)

don't worry, i'll still remember you little people when all is said and done - get it?

you are losing all that weight, so you are a "little people" :lol:

too funny right

thats me, love me or not :D

kathy

I was wondering if I will ever be able to drink Water like I could pre op. I'm in construction and yesterday I had to work outside in Arizona at 108 degrees. I got dehidrated very quick. I could not drink enough Water fast enough. I did drink so much that I vomited from drinking too much too fast. It was only about 8oz. I am 2 weeks post op.

I'm in the same boat as you. I work outside in the hot south Texas heat. It isn't easy staying hydrated. At 2 months out I can't guzzle water like I used to so I have to be more conscientious about drinking more often. It's a pain but it's part of the deal. If I get too hot my old instincts take over and I start chugging cold water. I can easily drink too much too fast.

Can you wear a camelbak at work? It's a great way to always have water with you without taking time to run to the water cooler every 5 minutes. Either that or get a water bottle holder for your belt.