Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Changed Surgeons ?

Hello I'm at the end of my 6 month diet requirement I've done all the other things just have to do my last weigh in on the 24th of this month then August 7th go to an appt to have everything submitted. If I changed surgeons is it difficult and would it prolong my surgery. I met my surgeon and he was very nice and knowledgable but for some reason I have felt uncomfortable.

I did but I did not have insurance paying (most), but after having so much difficulty with the doctor BEFORE we even went into the preliminary tests, I opted to go with another doctor.

I changed. I went to my first consult In Feb. Started my 6 month supervised visit, found out about a surgeon who did a 2 week vegetarian diet rather then making me buy a certain brand of Protein Shakes, went to see him on June 7 and my last appointment for 6modiet is July 24. The coordinator was SHOCKED at how much I knew and all the paperwork I had ready for her. I have complete confidence in the new surgeon. Also, he will be using the davinci robot for my surgery and I am possibly having another surgeon do my hysterectomy in the same process (i have an appt with him wed to make my final decisions). Do you know what is making you feel uncomfortable?

I'm just wondering would it be difficult getting my records from one surgeon to the other? As far as what's making me uncomfortable HONESTLY reading these forums and experiences and when I met him he was very very nice but something just didn't click, and that most of his testimonials are Lap Bands.

If you feel uncomfortable with a surgeon then you should change. I've had problems to no end with my surgeon since the surgery. Yes, it may be a hassle to have all of your paperwork transferred from one doc to another but it will be even more difficult to change after surgery. If there is a problem, no one wants to take on the dirty work that another surgeon messed up on (or at least that's the impression that I'm getting).

I'm just wondering would it be difficult getting my records from one surgeon to the other? As far as what's making me uncomfortable HONESTLY reading these forums and experiences and when I met him he was very very nice but something just didn't click, and that most of his testimonials are Lap Bands.

I changed surgeons 2 weeks before I was scheduled for surgery because I found out he and his office were practicing insurance fraud and I OUTED him- you betcha ya!

As for transferring medical records, they are required by law to transfer any records you request. Just be sure to make sure all your requests are done in writing. If you send a fax, keep a copy of the confirmation. If you mail it, keep a copy of what you sent along with getting a signature they received it. Each state is different, but the standard is they have 30 days to send your records and so to be a pain they may take the maximum amount of time.

Personally, if it were me, I would request (in writing again) copies of ALL my medical records up front. They may charge you a photocopy charge, but it would be so worth it because then you have everything yourself and you can give it to whoever you want. Plus, I probably wouldn't want my old surgeon knowing who I dumped him or her for.

Go with your gut, if you don't feel right about the surgeon- switch. Even if you can't pinpoint the reason, it's not worth it going into surgery wondering if you made the right decision.

Thanks! My 6 month diet is done with my provider not my surgical office. It was required by insurance not to be done by the surgeon office.

Yes, a week before my surgery I backed out and changed doc's. The only delay I had was getting the one doc to transfer all the info the the other and then doing new doc's 3 week diet again. You're surgery is a LIFETIME decision, whats a few weeks.

Hello! I did send an email requiring about changing surgeons to another facility about a week ago so yesterday the doctor called me himself....very nice,patient, gave me a lot of info. He does require a endoscopy is this normal? I don't have reflux. So I do have a lot of decisions to make.

Hello! I did send an email requiring about changing surgeons to another facility about a week ago so yesterday the doctor called me himself....very nice' date='patient, gave me a lot of info. He does require a endoscopy is this normal? I don't have reflux. So I do have a lot of decisions to make.[/quote']

I really like Dr Uchal at St Vincents. They have a top notch program here in Jacksonville. The bariatrics program has been on top of it.

Hello! I did send an email requiring about changing surgeons to another facility about a week ago so yesterday the doctor called me himself....very nice,patient, gave me a lot of info. He does require a endoscopy is this normal? I don't have reflux. So I do have a lot of decisions to make.

Yes, actually most doctors require this. It's to make sure that your esophagus is healthy. I had one done and was found to have Grade C Esophagus. It's an inflammation of your esophagus. You can have inflammation there and not even know it. They typically won't do surgery unless there is no signs of inflammation, it will create other complications.

I had to delay my surgery for 3 months, get rechecked and fortunately it was resolved but he would not have done surgery until it was completely cleared up.

I didn't have an endoscopy, but many doctors do require it. A good way to see what his patient mix is to attend a support group meeting. He may have had performed many procedures that you think. Hopefully his office does conduct support group meetings. He prob won't be @ the meeting, but that's the best way to talk and ask questions to previous patients.

I'm going though that process right now its not taking that long but the new surgeon is asking that I do more like i have to do an upper endoscpy, abdominal ultrasound, chest x-ray and the other surgeon didn't require that I do all of these things. Also they had to resend to the insurance for approval with the new surgeon notes and that took like 3 days as i was already approve with the last surgeon notes.

because i was concern if my records would be send over i just asked if i could pick them up myself and that's what i did.

Thanks! That's what I'm going to do pick up my records and I hope all I have to do is the endoscopy, but my things will be ready to submitt like next week!