Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prtein Absorption

I've read (somewhere) that our bodies can only absorb 30 gms. of Protein at a time. Does anyone else know about protein absorption? I'm 3 months out and trying to get my allotted 60 gms a day - and finding the protein powders are the easiest way for me to get it in. I bought some at GNC today and it is 40 gms per serving (per 3 scoops, I could knock that down if needed) I hate to waste it, if I'm not absorping it. What do ya'all know about this?

According to this site:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=124589

In short, ~1% of the Protein in your meal will not be absorbed and pass through your system into your feces. If you have a 100g meal, about 1 gram will resist absorption, if you eat 10 grams, .1 gram will escape the absorption process, it is a relative amount depending on the amount of Protein in your meal rather than an absolute number.

Assuming that you are otherwise healthy and have no digestion problems. The way protein absorption works is partially based on the efficiency of your body's ability to properly digest (break down) protein into it's amino acid subunits. This happens to a small degree in the stomach but more so in the duodenum (the first of the three compartments in the small intestine) the major absorption site of protein is the jejunum (the second part of the small intestines). The intestine normally will not absorb anything larger than a tri-peptide (three amino acids linked together). There are 20 amino acids, and their absorption happens through one of four types of transporters responsible for absorbing specific types of amino acids or tri-peptides. There is a specific transporter for neutral, acidic, and basic amino acids, as well as a transporter for proline and hydroxyproline. Sometimes the amino acids and tripeptides will compete for absorption at these transport sites, hence the 1% that does not get absorbed. The process by which food moves through the intestine is so slow that by the time the food has moved though the jejunum all but about one percent is absorbed.

As I said, the final absorption depends on the initial ability to digest long protein chains into small absorbable amino acids, di- and tri-peptides. Enzymes the body makes for protein digestion depend on the kinds of Proteins you eat. Since your body adapts your enzymes to the foods you eat, this explains why long time vegetarians and vegans become ill when they eat meat Proteins. They cannot digest it anymore because they lack the enzymes, and in that case they would have an altered meat digestion rate and very low absorption. It is a reversible process if they slowly make meat proteins a part of their diet again.

So again, you absorb ~99% of the protein you eat unless you have some kind of illness altering your digestion or absorption or have not eaten meat in a few years.

I hope this answers your question, please tell me if you need clarification.

melly-ga

Mahan Kathleen, Escott-Stump Sylvia.Food Nutrition and Diet

Therapy.W.B. Saunders Company:Philidelphia,2000

Good book about nutrition and biochemistry as it applies to the human body

Some more interesting info:

http://www.extique.com/askrob5-4.htm

ROB SAYS:

On the GENERAL Eating Plan: The 50 gram per-meal Protein limit is mandatory.

On the BODYBUILDERS' Eating Plan: The 50 gram per-meal Protein limit is recommended.

Basis for the distinction: The likely consequence of eating too much protein at a meal - fat storage - is more repugnant to someone whose primary objective is bodyfat reduction as opposed to building muscle.

Why is the 50 gram per-meal limit recommended for bodybuilders? The weight of the evidence indicates that the upper limit for benefiting from protein consumption is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Beyond this level, the net result is negative with fat storage and kidney difficulties outweighing a marginal (or non-existent) muscle-building effect. Considering the great importance of meal frequency for building muscle, exceeding 50 grams per meal will inevitably place bodybuilders weighing less than 300 pounds in the following predicament: eat too few meals or consume too much protein. To illustrate: if a 200-pound bodybuilder consumes 60 grams of protein per meal, he/she will have consumed 240 grams of protein after his/her 4th meal. (A 150-pound bodybuilder will go "over the top" after only 3 meals.) Conversely, if a 200-pound bodybuilder adheres to the recommended 50-gram limit, then (assuming 40 grams of protein per meal) he/she will hit 200 grams at 5 meals. Even better would be for the 200-pound bodybuilder to consume an average of 33 grams of protein per meal spread-out over 6 meals. In addition to stabilizing insulin levels and promoting higher energy levels and greater mental productivity, a pattern of smaller more frequent feedings is associated with superior absorption and more efficient utilization of all nutrients including protein. See NHE, Chapter 17, Protein Optimization and Meal Frequency.

Bravo! Where's that book we discussed? I have a somewhat related comment about Vitamins. I've learned from reliable sources (my doc & 2 pharmacists) to never take Vitamins on an empty stomach. First, they can cause upset stomach/nausea. But more important (to me anyway) is vitamins need to bind to a Protein in order to be absorbed into our systems. Otherwise they pass right through, rendering them useless.

Years ago I was viewing my abdominal x-ray with my doctor and I freaked cuz I thought I saw cancer. He laughed and told me those spots were just my vitamins. I could see them clear as day, fully intact hours after I'd taken them. That's when he explained I need to take them with Protein. I didn't believe him so I talked to 2 pharmacists, who confirmed his explanation. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Also, some need to be taken with fat, like Vitamin C, and other minerals/vitamins, like Calcium needs to be taken with magnesium.

Some things need to be taken seperate from others.

You can really drive yourself crazy trying to figure this stuff out! I grind my Multivitamin and put it in a Protein shake with some flax oil. That's when I remember to take it at all, which isnt very often.

Sometimes I remember to take my Popeye chewables, but even those are mostly forgotten... :cool:

I'm trying to eat 2 Flintstone chewables each day. I'm eating flaxseed pills because I can finish the bottle before getting a fill. But I never thought of grinding my Vitamin in a shake.

Hey, for anyone Iron deficient like me, raisins are a great source. Today I put a handful with a banana in my milk with 2 scoops chocolate Protein powder in the blender. Pretty good... not bad at all!

Thank you for your great info and advice! Glad to know I can get my Protein in in just one shot!

I never thought about mixing with the vites. As long as it doesn't taste nasty! I'm using the "Isotonix" multi vite now, but will switch to chewables when I run out - it's a little too spendy!

What chewables do you recommend? Kids? And do you take more than 1 a day then?

I know there are some things you shouldn't take with other's - Iron for example, not to take with multi, but ok with Calcium. Do you all take ferrous fumerate? How many mgs a day? It's hard to remember to take these all at different times, and I know I don't remember to take them everyday - I guess that's just normal, huh? I'm not screwing this up, am I??

Banded March 2nd - down 42 lbs - slower then I thought it would be, but not bad is it?

Thanks again!!

Mary

What does the flax oil or flax seed do? How much do you take daily? I bought a huge GNC container of "Natural" flavor Protein Powder. I thought it would be tasteless, to mix in w/ food. But it's chalky tasting. But it's so expensive, I'm going to have to figure out how to use it. How many grams of Protein are we supposed to get daily? Does one Flintstones chewable Vitamin give enough Vitamins daily? Thanks.

I'm no guru about Vitamins and nutritional requirements, so you're probably better looking up most of this stuff on the web (which is what I do), as far as minimum amounts of Protein recommended per day, best Vitamins, etc.

Flax oil has omega-3 fatty acids. It's an acceptable substitute for the recommended cold Water fatty fish (which I don't care for). Ground flax seeds are good for the omega-3's and Fiber.

Children's vitamins may not meet adult requirements - read the labels, there may be an adult dosage on there. There are adult chewables, and also liquid vitamins.

Many people have no problems with regular vitamins, so you may want to just try your Vitamin of choice - you may not need to do anything special.

Mary - you're average loss so far is more than 10 pounds a month - that is very very good. Remember that the average expected weightloss for bandsters is 1-2 pounds a week - that's 4-8 pounds a month. So you're ahead of the accepted average.

New Hope - sorry about the GNC Protein Powder. For the most part, bandsters out of the liquid phase don't need Protein Powder. For some who are very tight in the mornings, a Protein shake is a good choice for Breakfast, but for the most part it's better to eat real food once you're back on solids. If you do choose to use Protein shakes as a part of your regular menu, make sure they are replacing food, not in addition to, unless you're not making your caloric goals for the day.

Thanks, New Hope. I'm feeling like nothing happened on Thursday. I do have an appointment next Saturday for my "annual" follow-up, and will have the barium swallow and endoscope done, so hopefully everything will come back okay. I'll keep you all posted! :D

Hi Zadyzu

i thought id check a post you have posted to check on your progress and unfortunatley i found you don't havve your details on your posts please send me an update of how you are doing via email if you like has been awhile since we emailed hope to hear from you soon lill