Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Method Of Birth Control Did You Use?

Ladies-

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS which is the major reason I am having the sleeve on July 29th. I don't feel comfortable with going back on birth control since I finally got it out of my system.

What did you do post-op to ensure you wouldn't have a pregnancy before your body was ready?

Thank you!

You should realllllllly consider BC. After the sleeve so many hormones are being released that you become extremely fertile. I have heard of women who were "sterile" for 15 years getting pregnant months after surgery.

If you do get pregnant it is very dangerous for you and the baby to continue on, some women have done it with no problems, but the likelihood of having problems is huge.

I am one of the few who is on depo and loves it, every 3 months I get one shot, no weight gain, no headaches or nausea. I guess I lucked out.

Realistically, I doubt we will ever be able to concieve, so I have not worried about it.

This is just my opinion but my bet is if they ever do a study it will find birth control has a much higher failure rate for post-sleevers. Most of us took antibiotics as a pre-surgery requirement - and antibiotics make bc less effective. You body is changing literally leaps and bounds - hormones releasing, especially estrogen.

I think if I did take something it would be something very old school...a daily pill.

You should realllllllly consider BC. After the sleeve so many hormones are being released that you become extremely fertile. I have heard of women who were "sterile" for 15 years getting pregnant months after surgery.

If you do get pregnant it is very dangerous for you and the baby to continue on, some women have done it with no problems, but the likelihood of having problems is huge.

I am one of the few who is on depo and loves it, every 3 months I get one shot, no weight gain, no headaches or nausea. I guess I lucked out.

I am absolutely considering birth control, I just don't know which kind. I am really not wanting to be back on th pill, but I also do NOT want to have an unhealthy baby while I am supposed to be getting healthy myself.

So you recommend depo......thank you!

Just to note on this, antibiotics only affect some type of BC. Depo, for instance, is not affected by 98% of antibiotics. Same with the implant.

Realistically, I doubt we will ever be able to concieve, so I have not worried about it.

This is just my opinion but my bet is if they ever do a study it will find birth control has a much higher failure rate for post-sleevers. Most of us took antibiotics as a pre-surgery requirement - and antibiotics make bc less effective. You body is changing literally leaps and bounds - hormones releasing, especially estrogen.

I think if I did take something it would be something very old school...a daily pill.

I use the IUD Mirena and love it. I tried the depo shot after my second child and I HATED it!!!!!!!!! I had started to lose the weight from the pregnancy and as soon as I got the shot,I stopped losing and I gained 20 lbs!

I would go to ur gyno and talk to them about everything and explain ur worries and concern . I have had pcos since I was 12 and at 26 found out I have endometriosis, and have 1 ovary ... I am blessed to have a noah who will be two friday. However I was 220 at the start of my preg. And although beautiful it was horrible. My legs looked like I had elephantiasis, was gestational diabetes, back hurt just big! I was really trying to lose weight before I got preg. So I was put on metforman ( usually people who are diabetic take this) they have found that it helps women w/pcos lose weight, that being said it apparently helps w/fertility. The cyst like to feed off our hormones and when we r not on bc we r more likely to have them. I always had the hard dermoid kind. :( I even got one while I was preg. And had to have it removed during my c section. That was it I knew this weight thing really had to happen..at first docs thought it was tyroid after8 months found out iactually don't have atyroid problem. Any way I geuss I just wanted to share with u to let u know ur not alone I am here to to help support u. I was taking yaz before but I am going to go back to the doc after my post appt here have a check up if u find a good one let me know same as I I wish u the blessed ooh I was just sleeved on may 30 :)

I would go to ur gyno and talk to them about everything and explain ur worries and concern . I have had pcos since I was 12 and at 26 found out I have endometriosis, and have 1 ovary ... I am blessed to have a noah who will be two friday. However I was 220 at the start of my preg. And although beautiful it was horrible. My legs looked like I had elephantiasis, was gestational diabetes, back hurt just big! I was really trying to lose weight before I got preg. So I was put on metforman ( usually people who are diabetic take this) they have found that it helps women w/pcos lose weight, that being said it apparently helps w/fertility. The cyst like to feed off our hormones and when we r not on bc we r more likely to have them. I always had the hard dermoid kind. :( I even got one while I was preg. And had to have it removed during my c section. That was it I knew this weight thing really had to happen..at first docs thought it was tyroid after8 months found out iactually don't have atyroid problem. Any way I geuss I just wanted to share with u to let u know ur not alone I am here to to help support u. I was taking yaz before but I am going to go back to the doc after my post appt here have a check up if u find a good one let me know same as I I wish u the blessed ooh I was just sleeved on may 30 :)

I have had fears of getting pregnant while obese, I was worried about everything you have confirmed. I hope that once I have lost my weight and I am in maintenance I can have a healthy pregnancy....not to mention keep up with a little one.

I'll let you know what my OBGYN says.

Congrats, you are almost one week post-op! How have you been feeling?

Great so excited to just be heathy :) a little uncomfortable when I wake up but take my vits and then Protein first thing and i feel grear .

I have the Mirena IUD and love it. Antibiotics don't affect it and you can take it out before the five years if you want to try for a baby later. Alternatively you could just use condoms.

Mirena here. I just got it a month ago and its okay so far...