Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve been getting prepared for my pre-op diet and I’m having a problem. All of the flavored Protein powders have artificial sweetners which I cannot have. No stevia, no sucralose, no aspartame. The non-flavored ones are disgusting, including Unjury. I tried putting them in zero Water but it was too sweet and the stevia gave me a headache. Most of the pre-made shakes have artificial sweetners as well. Any suggestions?

You need to tell your doctor this. You aren't suppose to have real sugar. You need to do the pre-op shake, all 100% Protein powders are made with some artificial sweetener or chemical. Truvia does not give me a headache or make me sick (which is based from stevia) aspartame causes severe headaches and I have a brain tumor. Some people have no issues with them.

I hate the taste of all artificial sweeteners, except Truvia, which some people hate. There are no Protein shakes made with truvia, but if I want the sleeve, and I want it to work, I have no choice but to do it. It's one of the reasons I am avoiding the sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles, so I don't get overloaded with sugar-free crap.

This is something you are going to have to discuss with your doctor. Maybe someone else knows of something else, but truth is none of this tastes that great, but you have to do what you have to do.

My doctor has never advocated Protein shakes. Protein supplements, yes. I take a liquid Protein I get at the Vitamin store. Can't remember the name. Two tablespoons is 16 grams protein. I take like a medicine. Some mix it in stuff.

My doctor's position is that you should never "drink" your calories. Just saying.........

That doesn't mean I never drink a Protein shake. Seems to me though that a shake is a "slider." Goes right through your stomach. Doesn't give you the full feeling like a solid protein will. I don't necessarily think they are bad for you - just not as good as solids.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you cannot find a Protein Shake that you can tolerate you can do the sleeve without them.

MinaT -- I have contacted my doctor, waiting for the dietician to call me back. I understand that most of them taste gross but I cannot live with headaches for 14 days, i'd never stick to it. so hoping someone out there has some suggestions I haven't thought of yet....or that my doctor can help me.

Grateful Heart -- I agree that they don't keep you feeling full, but unfortunately I have to do a 14 day liquid diet before the surgery and they are very strict as to what you can/can't drink during that time. If you remember the name of that liquid Protein please let me know. maybe i'll stop at a health/vitamin store this weekend and check things out.

I understand fully well the headaches, I had headaches for two days only, so I lucked out. I suffer severe Migraines and I also have a brain tumor. I receive occipital nerve blocks and get botox all over my entire head (not my face) but my scalp, neck and temples. Even crystal light causes me severe headaches. sugar-free products (aspartame in particular) causes me severe headaches. I feel you I really truly do.

I hope your doctor has a solution for you.

ps I am allergic to Imitrex and other headache medications, plus I cannot take the excederin Migraine, which is my only saving grace sometimes.

You need to tell your doctor this. You aren't suppose to have real sugar. You need to do the pre-op shake' date=' all 100% Protein powders are made with some artificial sweetener or chemical. Truvia does not give me a headache or make me sick (which is based from stevia) aspartame causes severe headaches and I have a brain tumor. Some people have no issues with them.

I hate the taste of all artificial sweeteners, except Truvia, which some people hate. There are no Protein shakes made with truvia, but if I want the sleeve, and I want it to work, I have no choice but to do it. It's one of the reasons I am avoiding the sugar-free Jello and sugar-free popsicles, so I don't get overloaded with sugar-free crap.

This is something you are going to have to discuss with your doctor. Maybe someone else knows of something else, but truth is none of this tastes that great, but you have to do what you have to do.[/quote']

Isn't truvia made from stevia? If so you may want to check out About Time Protein Shakes. They are 100% natural using stevia as the sweetener 31 grams of protein per bottle and they have all kinds of flavors including birthday cake and cinnamon swirl. They sell a sample 2 pack for 3.99 free shipping! Hope this helps!

Thanks tlaff, I may just try that out myself. I'm almost off the 14 day pre-op shake, but I haven't had too many issues with Pure Protein 100% whey Protein Frosty chocolate, and after surgery may resort to that for the Liquid Protein phase. Since I cut out all artificial sweeteners except the one shake a day I don't have an issue. If I happen to chew a piece of sugar-free gum, have a crystal light and the shake, I get the headaches.

I do not believe in artificial sweeteners, but when you are diabetic there's so many little choices. I tried a lower priced Stevia product called Purvia and it was so horrific. I am grateful I can tolerate Truvia, where some can't, but most of the time I would will opt for plain ice tea or hot tea.

I honestly think there is more harm in these artificial sweeteners than real sugar, but I got to do what I have to do.

What's wrong with real sugar?? I have a ragweed allergy, so Truvia and Stevia are out for me... I don't like artificial sweeteners either... I can tolerate spenda sometimes...

Have you tried the plain Protein, then adding fruit or a little honey??

they want me to limit the sugar for 2 weeks prior to the surgery so I cant have regular sugar. truvia is a ragweed? no wonder I'm alergic to it!!!

update:

they approved me for specific foods (no deviations from it) for the two week pre-diet. we'll have to figure out something for afterwards. If I can tolerate all the liquids i'll need then I can have the boost high Protein that I've found to be able to tolerate. probably because it has regular sugar and not the artificial stuff. i'll add in some milk for "variety." i'm going to try and find those liquid Proteins at the Vitamin store so we'll see what happens there, maybe they will work and I can get more variety there too.

Just a warning about the Liquid Protein. IT IS NASTY! Haven't found one that tastes tolerable. Like I said I just take 2 TBSP like a nasty medicine and I'm done.