Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a month out on Monday and I have lost 6 pounds so I am sooo with you. But if you do a search on Google (and here too) about vertical sleeve weight loss stalls you will see that lots of people have had this stall experience in the first month to 6 weeks. Which I thought was really strange also because you figure a plateau will come later right? But I lost pounds the first week and nothing since. The other people I have read bout though.. EVERY one had a good outcome. One woman lost NO weight after surgery for 6 weeks (I would jump out a window LOL) and then all of a sudden it started coming off and she was very successful. We just have to be patient and realize that it will get better.

About the reflux, are you taking something? I had reflux before my surgery and the surgeon gave me a liquid medication called Ranitidine (spelling might be off) and I have been ok with it.

Good luck Pink!! Keep us posted.

I was sleeved on 4/23/12. As of today, I'm down 26 lbs. I don't do so good with drinking, but I'm working on that. I get my Protein from food, whether it's enough...I don't know. I eat meat, cheese, applesauce, fresh fruit everyday. As for the heartburn, my doc said to take Prevacid 2x a day. I never miss it. I'm doing pretty good with my Vitamins. This week I did a bit of exercise. I have no idea what the next month's weight loss will be like. No vomiting to date. Hang in there. Don't give up!

Hey, I noticed you said your not getting enough Water in... Have u tried adding Mio and crystal lites to your waters? They are life savers and oh so good!!!

Hey guys don't worry if your not loosinf the weight faster than wat u though. This surgery helps us but gotta put our part to and exercise and diet good. Drink plenty of Water and krystal light is the best if ya don't like water.. if u really big the weight comes off faster for the first few months after it soo take its time then will go back to loosin just make sure ur exercising and if ur not heavy and u lost weight before is a process but ya will make it .. just have a routine. I have a couple friends who did it and the lost great amount of weight by their 6 month some were heavier and lost over 100 some we not that heave and lost 68. I'm 5 day and lost 12 pound feeling good..woot woot it takes time mentally u gotta get prepared guys. Wish ya luck... Woot woot..

You may have only lost 17.... but if continue to eat less than 1000 cals a day like most of us do (whether we want to or not) you will lose the weight PERIOD.

So I feel for you!!! My surgery was may 15th. I've had infections. And now on clindamycin 3times a day. Hard to do! They are rough on stomach and need to eat with them so you don't get I'll. Everytime I take then I get heartburn and hickups. And they are so bad I get sick! And I've only lost 7 kg since may 5th!! That's 15 pounds. I thought it would be different!

I have not had my surgery yet....so I can't speak to what you are going through and I am pretty sure an "aawwww, hand in there" is not what you want to hear...... Did you do a psychological eval before your surgery? I did mine not too long ago and the one thing I remember was some advice she gave me that went something like this.

You are going to voluntarily put yourself through a major life upheaval including physical discomfort and emotional distress and give up something (overeating) that you have depended on for years. It will be a long process to adjust to your new life, and during that process you are going to have several periods where you deeply regret what you have done. You need to prepare for that, expect it, and embrace it as a part of the process that you have to go through to get to a better you. When you hit that period you should tell yourself 1. I knew this was coming, 2. It is normal and necessary as part of a life change for me and, (most importantly) 3. It will pass.

I don't mean to speak out of turn because I haven't had my surgery, but I wrote this down to encourage myself if I feel the way you do after surgery......If this helps you at all great...if not--please forgive.....

I have to lose 77 lbs to get out of being medically overweight. I don't think that's such a small amount that this plateau should be happening. When I was on my pre-op diet, I lost 5 lbs a week. I am feeling really cheated and ultra-sensitive and negative. I look on this site alone and everyone's bio says that they lost 10-15 lbs their first few weeks out of surgery. I realize there is no going back and I just have to get used to it, but I was looking for some peace of mind, someone to tell me that they are now the weight they want to be and they lost weight as slow as molasses in the beginning too.

Hi!! I am going through something similar. My surgery was May 22nd. I lost 15lbs pre-op and 9lbs post-op. I really thought after 3+ weeks I would be doing better. I've been a mess, really depressed and just feeling all kinds of out of sorts emotionally. I am averaging about 400 to 700 cal a day and 60 to 80 grams of Protein. I dont even want to get out of bed in the morning and I feel like a total failure.

Oh I do want to mention that I am and have been working with a therapist.

I have to lose 77 lbs to get out of being medically overweight. I don't think that's such a small amount that this plateau should be happening. When I was on my pre-op diet, I lost 5 lbs a week. I am feeling really cheated and ultra-sensitive and negative. I look on this site alone and everyone's bio says that they lost 10-15 lbs their first few weeks out of surgery. I realize there is no going back and I just have to get used to it, but I was looking for some peace of mind, someone to tell me that they are now the weight they want to be and they lost weight as slow as molasses in the beginning too.

Sweetie, there's a post dedicated to the slow losers. You are NOT alone,,believe me. It's common to have stalls around this time. You could be having one,,or have had some mini ones. If you are following the plan you were given it'll happen for you. Just try to gain more patience with yourself and give yourself credit for the small victory you have already accomplished. Try not to lash out at those who are trying to help you. I think that lady was really trying to be helpful..I know I don't like anyone telling me I'm on a pity party either but it's really easy to misconstrue what people really mean or feel on the internet. Gain confidence in the choice YOU made..you went in knowing about the surgery..that it's a tool,,not a magic fix. And honestly,,17 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Any diet I was ever on in the past,,I never lost 17 pounds in 1 month good golly :) Good luck hon,,take it easy on yourself (and others..feel the love we are trying to give you..even if it's tough love)

Hey Pink!

I know exactly how you feel. I lost 20 lbs. from the pre-op diet to one week after surgery. Nothing came off during weeks 2 and 3. I was frustrated just like you. I kept thinking that I didn't go through all this for a measily 20 lbs! Then week 3 to 4 I started losing again. I couldn't believe that I would already have a stall so soon after surgery, but I guess it happens a lot. I also realized that the stall coincided with my period. I will be watching next month to see if the same thing happens. I'm frustrated that it seems that everytime I eat that I'm miserable afterwards. It doesn't matter if I chew, chew, chew my tiny bites or eat a super small amount, I always end up with chest pain and feeling like I need to throw up. I haven't been doing good with my liquids because I am so tired of drinking the same things (Mio, Crystal Light, tea with Splenda). Does anyone have any advice on that?

I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you do total - between 75-80 lbs. I have no idea what your situation is, but I know it took me in excess of 5 years to put all of that excess weight on. I have no intention of grading the sleeve as a failure until I see what it has done in a year. If it can take off in 1 year what it put me over 5 to put on, how is that a failure? How is that anything other than a miracle? I too wish I could wave a magic wand and make it happen overnight, or better yet turn back the hands of time and stop myself before the damage was done, but the truth is that there is not a single person on this site, including me, who hasn't abused food for years. I think we have to be realistic about how the sleeve works and how long that will take. I don't want to lose it that fast anyway -- it just sets you up worse for loose skin. I wish you the best of luck and sincerely believe you will get to goal with a lot of work and a little patience.