Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never Trust A Fart!

Has anyone else had issues with the PRE-OP diet? 44 is a little old for pooping yourself....LOL! Maybe I too am lactose intolerant, but I have never had issues before. The sweet is kinda sitting icky on my stomach, and I am ready for something else! Surgery is Tuesday. I guess I can make it that much longer. UGGGGH!

As soon as I started my pre op diet and even after with the post op with the Protein Drinks I had stomach issues. I think it was all the Protein and lack of other stuff like Fiber that made things so "watery" Sorry It's gross. But as soon as I stopped the Protein Shakes the loose poop stopped too. It got so bad once I was just crying. That was after surgery and I was pretty fed up with all liquids going in and all liquids coming out. nothing really helped until I started eating real food again,

I had this happen to me Monday evening. I am on 3 shakes a day and as I was turning in bed, my stomach grumbled and luckily I had the covers off and I was on my stomach. I literally shot out of bed, ran to the restroom, and I had to take a quick shower and I was so upset I threw away my pj bottoms and then I slept with two towels underneath me. I was exhausted. I decided chocolate with Fiber for my evening shake is not a good thing and started having it for Breakfast.

I was really embarrassed and the next day when I told my husband, who was oblivious (thank goodness) I said hey I guess night Sharts happen!

I have had this issue ever since surgery...and I don't even consume Protein shakes of any kind due to my new-since-surgery lactose intolerance. Farts can NEVER be trusted.

I've talked to a couple docs, and they keep assuring me that this will go away in time (one of them said, "Once you hit solids, diarrhea and "productive flatulence" will be a thing of the past"...but I've been on solids for almost 3 weeks and still have several liquid stools daily).

I finally gave up sleeping with the nice sheets or wearing good clothes. I've had to learn to carry a whole change of clothes (from the waist down) with me any time I leave the house.

Wish I had suggestions how to stop it, but no luck so far.

I had the same problem. I have never had a diarrhea problem but before the surgery it was all liquid! Lasted til a couple of days after, but I saw it as a blessing; Nobody wants to strain after stomach surgery

Can you take benefiber? Sometimes fiber helps with diarrhea. I'm still pre op tho so I haven't experienced this lovely side effect yet!

Lol....what a nice way of putting it, "productive flatulance"

I just started pre-op a few days ago - I'm not even doing all liquids - just mushy at this point. Same thing ALMOST happened to me tonight.

Sounds gross, but... liquid in, liquid out. Makes sense to me.

I also liked the "productive flatulance" term. That got me laughing. :)

I'm 5 days post op and everything just got going again Friday. Started with a good amount of gas and non-productive flatulance, but then Friday evening it hit. Just like you, I was tricked into thinking it was some simple gas, but no - it was actually a productive flatulance laying in wait.

After some grumbling I decided just to trash the underwear. I'm getting thinner anyway, so they'll need to go sooner or later. I'm still dealing with this. My body makes sounds now like the Titanic did as it was sinking, I never know what to expect. It's cheap entertainment for the kids, I guess.

Good luck!

I'm just over 7 months out & if I even have the feeling of gas or a bowel movement coming, I get to the nearest bathroom...because I'm not taking a chance of sharting! I'd rather run to the bathroom than crap myself & sometimes you can't tell what is going to happen... Better safe than sorry! In the beginning, I would run at the slightest rumble! LOL!!! I have become lactose intolerant since surgery so I started buying fat free, lactose free milk.

Well, I am almost a year out from my surgery and I have LOTS of flatulence, but they are mostly noise makers. I suppose I could take Beano, but have difficulty with pills. It doesn't matter what I eat, I probably fart5 to 10x a day on average. Once in awhile they have a noxious odor, and there have been a couple of times when I couldn't move to another room where I was alone before it slipped out. The ones w/odor are usually silent. The sharts as being referenced here also happen to me, but that is almost always associated with eating food too greasy or has lots of milk product. I too have become lactose intolerant since surgery. I don't even think of drinking milk anymore. Yes, I know there is the soy stuff, but I can't get my head around how that would even taste. Maybe one day I will try it.

I did not have a bm until day 7 post op... I was in the hospital on iv antibiotics for an infection and the nurse was getting worried.... Day 7 I thought as usual it was the famous gas and let it go... All over my bed! Felt so bad I apologized to the nurse! She laughed and came in so excited! They were waiting on that!!! I never thought I would see a nurse to happy to clean me and my bed up! Lol

Y'all are so funny! I needed this :D

I never thought I would see a nurse to happy to clean me and my bed up! Lol

Yes, it's true....we nurses get excited about some VERY strange things. I will admit to clapping for a patient when he FINALLY passed gas after waiting in recovery almost 4 hours after his colonoscopy - I'm sure he thought I was a freak :D

I am LOL-ing over the "sharts"! Thanks for this thread- I am so thankful to hear EVERY aspect of the surgery: the good, the bad, and the...er...poopy!

I am so relieved this thread is here! I thought I was alone. My sharts stopped after I stopped the pain meds. Maybe I was too loopy to notice impeding doom? Thankfully my hubby travels to foreign countries and consumes unusual foods which leads to unusual sharts. So when i told him, he couldn't say poop. Literally.