Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Diet And Insulin Resistance

I'm still considering whether to have the sleeve or not. My insulin resistance causes problems for me when I eat low carb diets because then I tend to get low blood sugar and very weak. Although the sleeve would probably heal the insulin resistance eventually, I'm wondering if the liquid and puree and otherwise low carb sleeve diet will cause me to be too weak initially?

i have the same concerns i am insulin dependant and on a insulin pump and I have the same concerns that my blood sugars will go to low and I cannot get enough to eat to get them to come up. I would love any feedback from other diabetic out there that has had the sleeve.

I am diabetic, and all the research I have read supports the sleeve as an excellent type 2 diabetes "cure". I would ask your PCP what he/she thinks, but I am currently pre-op, and have stopped all injections, and only taking one Metformin a day. I will say this; this is the HARDEST diet I have EVER been on. I love food, and I do feel sleepy and weak. I am sure a lot of this is caffeine withdrawl. I CAN DO THIS, and so can YOU!

I see that your surgery is soon, Luwanna. I'm eager to hear about your energy levels post-op. I have a juicer and am thinking about juicing vegetables during my liquid and puree phases. I actually tried juicing for a while before. I had good energy and was actually able to stop taking my medication. However, i got tired of the juice after awhile, quit juicing, and had to start taking my medicine again. I believe that the vegetable juice can help keep energy levels up though. I guess my main concern is that I just won't have enough energy during the Water and Protein Shake phase. Do you happen to know if I will still be able to take my insulin resistance medication initially? or can they just give it to me in liquid form?

I just had my sleeve surgery this past Monday, during my hospital stay my bp was down (I had high bp too) I was on 25 units of lantus insulin and 500mg of metformin, I was sent home on Wednesday taking no insulin or metformin or high bp meds. I take my bp & sugar 3 times a day and my levels have been great, this is why I had the surgery b/c of the diabetes

There is nothing about the sleeve that requires a low carb diet (or any other specific diet, for that matter,) - it is quite amenable to whatever diet your specific needs require that are consistent with weight loss; low carb is popular with the sleeve (and most WLS now,) and has been adopted by some (but by no means all, or even a majority of,) surgeons simply because it is currently popular in the non-WLS weight loss industry.Low carb has its merits and is appropriate for many in our current society, but low fat, balanced, low carb and all of the various combinations thereof work well with the sleeve as well - the sleeve merely helps with the restriction of intake.

Many of the serious low carb-ers get upset at the amount of carbs in the liquid and puree phases of their programs (which are also quite variable between programs - I had no liquid or puree only stage in my doc's program,) so I wouldn't worry too much about those phases of the process. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon of choice (particularly if he is one who has jumped onto the low carb bandwagon) and your PCP, and he should be able to tailor his program for your needs - that's what you are paying him for!

I worked with a balanced diet approach (beyond the basic relative high Protein requirement) during my loss and subsequent maintenance phases, and indeed, boosted my complex carb levels midway thru the loss phase to better fuel my workout energy needs; I reached my goal in little over seven months and really wouldn't have wanted the loss to have been any faster. There are many ways that one can successfully work the sleeve.

I met with my doctor yesterday and asked him the same thing because I am a type one, insulin resistant diabetic and he told me that once I Start my preop to cut back on insulin and check my blood sugars to monitor them. I've had type one for 15 years so I personally know how to mange how much to take and so forth. He told me once I start losing I will be taking less insulin and by then I can adjust it how I need to. Hope I helped

I just had my sleeve surgery May 21st. I was on a sliding scale of insulin pre op and am still in it a week post op but my levels are tremendously lower and soon hope to not have to take meds or insulin.

Hi. I am on an insulin pump, being type 1 diabetic. My papers are hopefully in order and am awaiting GHI insurance approval. I want to get Auf 20, 2012 in Lenox Hill. I know this I will not cure my diabetes, but it should drastically reduce my insulin intake. My endo said to reduce my basal rate in the hospital and keep a close watch. I am worried but since it is 3 months away, I quess I have time to think about it.

Hi. I am on an insulin pump, being type 1 diabetic. My papers are hopefully in order and am awaiting GHI insurance approval. I want to get Auf 20, 2012 in Lenox Hill. I know this I will not cure my diabetes, but it should drastically reduce my insulin intake. My endo said to reduce my basal rate in the hospital and keep a close watch. I am worried but since it is 3 months away, I quess I have time to think about it.

My 11 year old son is type one for 5 years & on a pump. I know so much about Type one and two. I am type 2. You have a different scenario than us type twoers. For those who don't know it win't cure a type 1 person but i am sure it will help shed those hard to lose pounds.

I think as long as you keep in close contact with the endocronologist through the first weeks after surgery and check those BG's regular You will be fine. Best of Luck. Keep us updated. I think it is scary to get insulin resistant and on a pump.

I'm insulin resistant but take shots daily. I was told to cut down on my insulin prior to surgery and since I'll be cutting carbs to really check my BGs closely and monitor them.

I'm insulin resistant but take shots daily. I was told to cut down on my insulin prior to surgery and since I'll be cutting carbs to really check my BGs closely and monitor them.

I noticed that most people seem to live on Water and Protein with very few if any carbs following the surgery. I don't understand how anyone has any energy to function and heal without any carbs. I generally struggle with lack of energy anyways but I'm concerned about how I will feel after the surgery when I'm not able to eat carbs for energy. From what I have read on this forum, the surgery ends up healing most cases of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. I'm just concerned about how the surgery is going to affect my energy levels up until my insulin resistance is healed. The diet seems so carb restrictive that I just don't understand how anyone has enough energy to even function after the surgery.

I noticed that most people seem to live on Water and Protein with very few if any carbs following the surgery. I don't understand how anyone has any energy to function and heal without any carbs. I generally struggle with lack of energy anyways but I'm concerned about how I will feel after the surgery when I'm not able to eat carbs for energy. From what I have read on this forum, the surgery ends up healing most cases of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. I'm just concerned about how the surgery is going to affect my energy levels up until my insulin resistance is healed. The diet seems so carb restrictive that I just don't understand how anyone has enough energy to even function after the surgery.

Protein will take you pretty far energy-wise. I've heard experiences of loss of energy after surgery but from what I've read it usually resolves in a few weeks.

I eat some carbs but its complex good carbs like canned unsweetened fruit and whole wheat crackers. I am 11 weeks out and eat a small variety. I still can't eat rice, bread, and some Pasta but it really helps you lose weight. I lost 32 pounds since surgery. If it cures the insulin resistance you are going to be healthier. :)