Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shame on Golden Corral.

Hi Everyone,

This subject has come up a lot in the 3 + years I have been banded. At least for me, part of being normal means that I eat like a thin person and make wiser more healthy choices. First of all, I love buffets. I can eat a nice salad, followed by a lean piece of meat, followed by a sugar free desert, a few spoonfuls of carbs and I am Thanksgiving full. I like choices especially since when I go to a regular restaurant, the appetizers are usually 8-9 dollars and very unhealthy anyway and the kids meals at most restaurants are s%*$&* and with a drink cost 5-7 bucks anyway. So I really dont mind paying 10.00 to eat at Golden Corral. I dont think anyone owes me anything and I dont want any special treatment from any restaurant. I just want to be NORMAL and being normal means not drawing attention to myself and seeing myself as different or exceptional when I am among the masses.

I would just like to make a point that when I go to Golden Corral ,my fussy kids sometimes will eat some rice, a little bit of green Beans or corn, a slice of pizza and softserve icecream. Is this worth the 5 bucks I am paying for my 10 year old to eat so little? Sometimes I go and my kids actually eat, but for the most my part kids are ornery dont always eat at a programmed time and many times dont eat much at buffets or at least not my moneys worth.

I know when money is an issue for me, I just don't go out. Its cheaper and healthier to eat at home and I don't have to bother anyone to make concessions for me because I eat less than most others.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

It was me that made myself fat not them, they shouldn't have to compensate for it.
And these kinds of restaurants have nothing to do with the epidemic of obesity in the USA?

Whenever the US lifestyle (and business model) is incorporated into a foreign country, the incidence of heart disease, diabetes and obesity rises.

Many people blame obesity on genetic or emotional problems.

Did the genetic makeup of people in these foreign lands change when the US lifestyle was embraced?

Don't other countries have people with emotional problems?

Did the people in the countries that embraced the US lifestyle just delope emotional problems after they imported McDonalds?

NO, I do not believe that Buffets need to give Bariactric surgery patients discounts. (In fact I half-jokingly stated above that they should charge us extra to help us control ourselves.) But restaurants, in their competition to increase business by offering more and more quantity (often with less and less quality), did help many of us to become over-eaters and obese.

No one was at the restaurant is holding a gun to your head to make you eat. I find it humerous that people are suing McD's for making them fat. They chose to go in there, eat that food, and in great volumes I might add. McDs provides a service. Bars provide a service. Bars don't cause alcoholics. They might make it easier for people with obsessions to get a "fix", but they are not the cause. There are healthy choices out there. I hardly ever stop at a fast food restaurant. I really don't think of it. We eat out a couple times a week, but tend to go to restaurants. They are just as costly as visiting a fast food restaurant, but at a restaurant I can make better choices. Sometimes I think people think it is easier to stop at a fast food joint than to cook something or search for something better for them. Its all about choices.

tated above that they should charge us extra to help us control ourselves.) But restaurants, in their competition to increase business by offering more and more quantity (often with less and less quality), did help many of us to become over-eaters and obese.

I agree with this. Think about portion size even 15 years ago...

A standard LARGE drink was 16 oz...which has now turned into 64 oz.

AND we know it just does not stop with just drinks, it is all about BIGGER and MORE.

Americans certainly think size matters. Bigger car, better!

Bigger house, better!

Bigger ring, better!

Bigger a$$.......bad.....

BUT we did not use our own self control and got ourselves into this own mess. food is our demon, and only we can slay it on our own.

For me that means not putting myself anywhere near where the devil may lay, and he lays under the buffet line daring you to eat more!!!

Hubby and I decided to "beat the beast" so to say and make a visit to our local buffet. We typically enjoy the yummy food at Souper salad (who by the way does offer a discount to WLS patients).

I had called shortly after my surgery to see if they give a discount and they said yes, with proof of surgery (the card). I didn't have my card at the time and just said forget it.

The last time I went into the resturant they told me they would honor our cards this time, but not to be surprised if they don't in the future as it is "against company policy" to honor WLS discounts as Golden Corral is an "all you can eat resturant" and "if that is all you can eat, then that's all you can eat".

I know they aren't the best place to eat, but every now and then I enjoy a change of pace and I can honestly behave myself enough now to eat there.

Personally I think that type of company attitude promotes obesity. Gotta love the all mighty dollar!

ButterKup,

I have a suggestion . . .

When you arrive at GC tell 'em you want to purchase one buffet and one meal to go. Put the amount you think you can eat in the to go box, have them weigh it (that's how their to go orders are priced), pay for both meals, then remain in the restaurant with your hubby and transfer your food to a plate.

I don't have a WLS Card of any kind. I should ask my doctor about that....why he doesn't provide them, etc. As for traveling with the band, a card will do you no good whatsoever. My mother-in-law has an artificial knee - and a card that says so. She sets off every bell and whistle for miles around every time she flies. They pull her out of line and start shaking her down. "Do you have anything in your pockets?" "Are you wearing a belt?" "Do you have on an under wire bra?" (Come on, guys...she's EIGHTY SIX YEARS OLD.) Anyway, she tells them about the knee replacement...starts pulling up her pants leg to show them the scar and simultaneously digging in her pocket for "the card". They don't care about either one. If you set off the metal detectors, you will get lots of special attention, no matter how many cards you carry.

And incidentally, I fly a lot (probably 20 roundtrips per year) and my band has NEVER set off a metal detector, or a wand - even in DC. Both my (banded) husband and myself recently passed thru security at Crystal City and didn't set off the alarm, even the "inside" ones leading to the DOD offices.

Thanks Carlene that makes me feel better. I was getting nervous about my upcoming trip to LAX. They are already hard and I have gotten pulled out of line there already...lol...

No one was at the restaurant is holding a gun to your head to make you eat. I find it humerous that people are suing McD's for making them fat. They chose to go in there, eat that food, and in great volumes I might add. McDs provides a service. Bars provide a service. Bars don't cause alcoholics. They might make it easier for people with obsessions to get a "fix", but they are not the cause. There are healthy choices out there. I hardly ever stop at a fast food restaurant. I really don't think of it. We eat out a couple times a week, but tend to go to restaurants. They are just as costly as visiting a fast food restaurant, but at a restaurant I can make better choices. Sometimes I think people think it is easier to stop at a fast food joint than to cook something or search for something better for them. Its all about choices.

Amen, Barbara. What it amount to is people's desire to want to blame someone... ANYONE other than themselves.

Just look at the lawsuits in court for a plethora of examples along this line, too.

And incidentally, I fly a lot (probably 20 roundtrips per year) and my band has NEVER set off a metal detector, or a wand - even in DC. Both my (banded) husband and myself recently passed thru security at Crystal City and didn't set off the alarm, even the "inside" ones leading to the DOD offices.
I can just picture the headlines:

Terrorists Bring Down Planes with Lap-Bands Full of liquid Explosives

Of Course the Lap-Band doesn't set off Metal Detectors. It is made of Silicone.