Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and Multiple Sclerosis

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone out there with Multiple Sclerosis? When I had my surgery (Lapband) I had a numb leg and foot my Ortapedic dr. thought I had sciatica so we went ahead with the surgery. After the 4 weeks I was off from work I went back and I still had the numb leg and was being treated for this by that same dr. after being back to work for a week my groin was getting numb and then my other leg. My Ortho doc sent me to a Neurologist we did more MRIs and a lumbar puncture. If you ever avoid having one of these I would highly recommend not getting one. My test came back positive for M/S and a possible spinal tumor. I had a one cm mass in my spine. I still have to go back for more tests to see if they have shrunk for the IV steroids I was on. Oh my these steroids make you ravenous! Thank God my band hasn't been inflated as of yet. I ate like a pig while taking the steroids and developed insulin dependant diabetes. This really sucks as well. I was just curious if there is any bandsters wit M/S I would love to talk and share some experiences with you. This whole thisg has been so had on everyone in my family but they all stuck by my side and have been great! I am so blessed. Thanks, Steve

I don't have MS but one of my best friends does. It's awful that you had to suffer through a lumbar puncture but MS is often difficult to diagnose. Steroids are the treatment but you won't have to stay on them forever. MS is characterized by periods of remission that can last for years at a time. I applaud your ability to keep the weight off while you're on the steroids and I hope you're well soon.

I have no experience with MS other than having a couple of friends who have it. THey are both in remission and doing fine. I am so sorry for the pain you had to go through and admire your courage and perserverence during this difficult time. Best of all to you!

WOW that really SUCKS! Sorry, my Dad had MS and I know how hard it is for you and your family. It is not an easy thing at all. My Dad woke up one morning wih numbness in his hand and it spread. I think he was 28yrs old. He didn't get a firm diognoses for about 25 yrs. I know that there is so much now that they can do for you. I do know that the #1 thing is to exercise. Swimming is good. He played tennis for yrs. There are MS support groups out there for you and your family. You all should go it is important. I don't remember him being on steriods, but he could have been.

Having the band is great! The more weight you get off the better it will be for you.

Feel free to PM me anytime. BUG HUGS to you and your family.

Steve, I have relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis, I was diagnosed 12 years ago, and have been in remission for the last 2 years. I am scheduled to have my surgery for lap band on Sep 23. I totally know what you are talking about with the lumbar puncture, I will never ever have another one, unless the do one on me when I am unconsious. I would like to talk and share the experiences with you also.

When my oldest daughter was born I had something similar to you happen with the numbness in the legs, I woke up and both legs were numb, but the doc told me it was from a UI medicine that I was on. I also had a bout with optic neuritis (problems with the eyes when I was about 11 years old) I was told that it was all made up because my sister had just had eye surgery. I look forward to talking with you about this journey with the band and ms.

Has your neuro talked with you about Avonex a weekly intermuscular injection, Beta Seron (sp?) every other day sub q injection, Copaxone daily sub q injections? these injections help slow the progression of the ms. I started with the Avonex, but the side effects never went away, so I changed to the Copaxone (I never thought I would be able to give myself an injection). If you have any questions about my experiences with the ms please feel free to ask.

Johanna

Steve:

Sorry to hear about your ms. My sister has MS and she's only had one episode. She's been on copaxone for a year. She has to do daily injections, but she's had marked improvement in the numbness and had only one bad episode.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

Steve - I was diagnosed with MS in 2001. My first symptoms appeared in 1999. I thought that I had a stroke in my sleep, I woke up with numbness and tingling down one half of my body. Then over the next 2 years had symptoms that came and went... balance, dizziness, numbness and tingling. I started on Avonex in 2001. I feel really good and really can't complain. I have a very mild form. With illness or fevers my symptoms really get worse for a week or so, then get better. I had my lumbar puncture done under fluoroscopy and it was painless. However, I have had 2 c-sections done with a spinal and I understand how uncomfortable that needle can be. So far I have noticed no issues regarding the band.

I remember how alone I felt when I was diagnosed, and scared of what the future will hold. Hopefully the steroids will do their job and you can get established on one of the ABC drugs for maintenance of your MS. Keep positive and take one day at a time.

I apologize for this being such an inactive post, but I am a new member, have had MS for 7 years and just had the lapband surg in dec, been on the IV steroids since october (and will be until at least August). was wondering how anyone else with MS was doing with things....

look forward to hearing something :)

thanks,

Amy

Johanna,

I would love to talk to you. I have MS and would like to get lap band. God forbid I end up where my husband has to take care of me, he wont be able to lift me as is.

Steve, I have relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis, I was diagnosed 12 years ago, and have been in remission for the last 2 years. I am scheduled to have my surgery for lap band on Sep 23. I totally know what you are talking about with the lumbar puncture, I will never ever have another one, unless the do one on me when I am unconsious. I would like to talk and share the experiences with you also.

When my oldest daughter was born I had something similar to you happen with the numbness in the legs, I woke up and both legs were numb, but the doc told me it was from a UI medicine that I was on. I also had a bout with optic neuritis (problems with the eyes when I was about 11 years old) I was told that it was all made up because my sister had just had eye surgery. I look forward to talking with you about this journey with the band and ms.

Has your neuro talked with you about Avonex a weekly intermuscular injection, Beta Seron (sp?) every other day sub q injection, Copaxone daily sub q injections? these injections help slow the progression of the ms. I started with the Avonex, but the side effects never went away, so I changed to the Copaxone (I never thought I would be able to give myself an injection). If you have any questions about my experiences with the ms please feel free to ask.

Johanna