Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my first appointment with the Dr. is in only 1 week now. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. So far the only people I have told that I will be having surgery are my parents, my in-laws and one person that I work with. How soon did everyone start telling people? and what group did you limit it to?

My immediate family and very close friends only. Any others can just think I have great discipline and lost the weight myself. :rolleyes:

I tell anyone and everyone. IMO, there's no way to remove the stigma associated with WLS unless we the patients are willing to share our positive journey with others. You never know whose life you may save with your testimony.

I only told my family, close friends and a few people at work before I had the surgery. Now that the surgery has accomplished what I wanted and knocked my diabetic A1C down to 5.7% and my high blood pressure back into the normal ranges - all of this without the 5 medications I was on to control those two diseases I am ready to tell whomever asks me! I changed my life and I am proud of myself for taking control and making such a smart decision. If they have negative things to think or say let them because I will let it roll off my back and let them know it wasn't about them anyway! :)

my list is my husband, our kids, My husbands family my mother in law (she is obsessed with weight so I knew she would be commenting all the time) Except his older brother. my mother, and sisters. The dentist as I went there yesterday :) my neighbor she went with me to Mexico, and a few close friends.

Did you tell them Pre-Surgery or Post Surgery? I have this fear of telling people because in the past when I have tried to diet and told people I always failed. I know that shouldn't happen with this but still the fear is there.

Testify Lissa!!

I am the same way. While I haven't put it on Facebook (yet) I have told a ton of people. In fact today I sent out an email to two ministries in church that I am involved with. I want to wear a shirt one skinny day long from now that says *Results Typical, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

People are crazy if they think it is the easy way out. Now, that being said no judgements at all for not telling people. Everyone's walk is different. Everyone's job and relationships are different. If I were younger or single I know that I would want it to be a closely guarded secret. If I worked in an office I would too. I work in a hospital on a floor where at least 12 people have has gastric bypass or band. I think I am the first sleever.

For me, I was very selective. I agree with Lissa that telling everyone might help remove the stigma of WLS, and I am a 'born again' advocate for this surgery as I am convinced it is the ONLY way to get healthy for some people and I sometimes want to shout at the top of my lungs how great it is. But it is a personal choice and I felt that I didn't want to discuss my weight, or any of my body parts with lots of people. I didn't when I was heavy and I don't now. When people compliment me, I quickly say thanks! And you look great too and change the subject....I want to be looked at as normal and it works for me. I told my husband, my sister and 4 good friends. I think you have to be careful because as much as we don't want to admit it, people do judge other people and in my opinion, unless they know you really really well, this is what they will see and remember; not you as a whole. Just my humble opinion.

I agree... people do judge and I don't really want to be judged or talked about behind my back. Even though we know that surgery is not the easy way out I don't think people that have never been overweight fully get the struggle that those that are face daily.

I told and tell everyone! i don't give a dang what they say about me.

I'm pre-surgery. The only people I have told is my husband (naturally), my best friend (because she will be visiting me right after my surgery) and the President of my company and my Co-VP (only because it's only right that he knows what is going on with me :) )

I'm a very private person. It's not that I am embarrassed by the surgery. My gosh, I've been overweight for the past 20 years - but I don't care to discuss any surgery I may or may not have - or doctor visits, etc. Probably because of my position in the company - I play my cards very close to my chest. It's just the smart thing for me to do.

I haven't told my parents only because they are both in their 80's and my mother will worry herself into a dither! LOL Better she not know about it!!!

I think everyone is different & everyone's situations are different. I've told everyone at church, some people in college, and have posted about it on Facebook, started a new blog for it & posted about that blog on my other blog. However, there are a few relatives I don't want to tell yet because I know they would think I'm nuts! They aren't on Facebook so they won't see it there. They do occasionally look at my one blog, so they might see it there before I tell them, but that's okay with me if they find out that way. So far they haven't said anything & they live far away, so I don't think they know yet, but they might. For some people I've decided to wait until they see me after I've lost some weight & if they ask what I did to lose, I'll tell them about the surgery. I don't really know why there are a few I don't want to be super open with about it, I just do. However, I've basically made it known to 95% of people in my life.

Honestly, I wanted to shoot at the top of my lungs and tell any and everyone that could hear me. But then I thought about it, not that many people needed to know...or probably didnt care.

In the end, I have only told my mother, S.O, a few family members, and maybe one or two coworkers. Not everyone needs to know and I know that I will have to deal with the questions when I get back to work or when people see me afterwards...so I will deal with that part of it when i get to it!!!! But until then, I am going to rejoice in the fact that I will soon be on the losers bench and enjoying life once again!

Only my husband and one good friend know. And of course any doctors who need to know. I haven't told my family yet because I'm not sure how they would react. I know they love me, but I'm the only one who's ever struggled with weight so I don't know if they'd truly empathize with me. I will most likely tell them once I've reached goal and I can show them how it's been a success.

As for other friends or coworkers -- its none of their business. Most of the people I know are extremely healthy and athletic, never above a size 6/8. But that's just me....

I was happily supprised with how supportive my family has been. Of course the question came up if I had tried to lose weight othe ways and after I told them I had they were good with it. They were always worried about my weight/health and are very happy to know that I'm taking control of it.