Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me get back on track!!

Hi everyone

I was banded in March, 2005 and have lost about 65 pounds since my initial visit with the doctor. Since this summer started, I have eaten everything and anything in any amount that I wanted.:embarassed: Even though I have not dared to get on the scale, I do notice that I (throug some small miracle) am still wearing the same size. I knopw that when I do get on that scale I am going to CRY! :cry Is there anyone out there that can say anything to me :think (or anyone else) that will REALLY make me get back on track? At this point, my family no longer reminds me of my situation (they have really tried - and I acknowledge that) PLEASE PLEASE make me realize what I am doing to myself.:help: Thank you all so much!!!!!

Hi EileenJa,

Have you had a fill to limit the amount that you eat at one time? I thought that was why we got banded so it would help us limit our amount.

Thanks for your response, unfortunately, I have learned how to "get around the band". Since you are newly banded, I will NOT let you in on my secret. I really do apperciate your response though.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

You are not getting around the BAND, you are getting around YOURSELF.

You said you wanted someone to say something that would snap you out of it. If you understand the above two sentences, really understand them, that ought to do it.

Good luck to you as you figure out why you are cheating yourself of your success...and losing 60 lbs IS a success!

Think back to why you wanted your band. For me, a moment came when I realized "I can't do this to myself any longer." What was your moment? The only person you're really letting down is yourself. You are worth a better effort than this. Now get your butt back in gear!

So, ya' want a slap upside the head?

You know, Eileenja, you have had this band long enough to know what to do. And you do! 60 lbs is amazing!

I don't know how to get your head around this, but first be sure you have a good fill. Second, make a pact with yourself and go back to basics. Stop eating around the band. Mousecrazy said it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. You are a big girl now. Take control of your life.

Was that a hard enough slap?

I would get on the scale. It might make you realize that we have to work with the band. Whenever I go off I get on the scale to bring me back to reality. It might upset you but it might also kick you in the but.

I am not banded yet and don't claim to be an expert...however, I do work on a surgical unit where we do lap banding and gastric bypasses.. One of the major reasons The Drs and the Barriatric Coordinator frown on eating around your band is that it can cause you to slip and possibly errosion. Take that information and do as you want. Just thought I would share what we teach the patients at the hospital. Hopefully you will be able to make it through this and stop eating around your band. You have had a great success so far and I commend that. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you!

I agree - get on the scale, look at yourself naked in a full length mirror, look at pictures of yourself 65lbs heavier, sign up for weight watchers, and join an exercise class or gym and Go

those are just a few of the things that have worked for me in the past. And, congrats on the 65 but as we all know, you can pack that back on in no time - weigh yourself now before maybe 15 turns into 30 and 30 into 40, well you get it. Maybe writing here was your first step but you are the one that has to do it. I've lost and gained weight so many times in my life i always wished someone had shook me as I was getting bigger because I used to be in a daze about it and felt like i just woke up one day 75lbs heavier. STOP NOW before you undue everything you've worked so hard for. AND, get a fill if you need one - sure it won't help you cheat the band but it may be what you need if you commit to getting back on track. Now just do it.

There are no magic bullets or words it's all about YOU!!! You must CHOOSE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are shooting yourself in the foot....you need to take ownership....and you have started by admitting where your at... now you need to make a choice to continue!! You have done AWESOME so far.....don't lose the ground you've gained!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS.....HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT??????? Your choice!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -75lbs :)

My surgeon flat out tells his patients at the first meeting that a patient can "beat the band" if they want to. It seems like you got "comfortable" with your weight loss and have slipped into a comfortable (but unhealthy) routine. So... time to start all over and get into the band routine.

Since you've already lost 60 pounds, you're an expert in knowing what you have to do and how to do it.

Thank you to all who responded with a good kick in the butt - which I really needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your responses have really helped and I appreciate every one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have really been trying to keep focused and do the right thing:kiss2:

Lots of huggs to all of you!!!:):D :hug: :rolleyes:

And get outside and get moving...This is a wakeup call to all...The computer is not your friend if it is keeping you tied to it reading all these threads.

GO...NOW!:rolleyes:

BUH BYE!

Eileenja,

This is precisely why I weigh every day, even when I don't want to. I can't always be perfect with food, sometimes I might skip the gym when I shouldn't, but what I can do is weigh every day and be accountable to myself.

My psychologist, who works with a lot of WLS patients, advocates weighing once a week or (better yet, by him) once a month. For me, that would lead to a slippery slope. I understand the dangers of scale obsession, but it's the right thing for me. I don't beat myself up when I retain Water, etc. -- it's about me being in control.

My advice is to weigh. And probably to get a fill.