Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will not have this surgey. i confronted my doc regarding his knowledge of the sleeve and he went on to inform me that he 'treats' several vsg patients for malnurishment, vision problems, Migraines and such. it seems there is a price to pay for everything and the potential long term costs for this surgery is way too high for me. and i suppose i am vain! i'd rather keep my beautiful hair than lose it to be in skinny jeans. best wishes to you all.

Your doctor should have his license yanked. I deeply regret his scaring you with exaggerated falsehoods. I'm praying that someone tells you the truth before you develop the health problems that you will develop at your weight. God bless you.

Scared2death ~ It's normal to be scared of something that some people are opposed to it. I have had migraine's since I was 24 years old and since having this surgery 6 months ago, I have not had any Migraines. People who don't take supplements as directed by his/her doctor's are at risk of malnourtrition. However, this is the patients responsibility to follow the doctor's order. Over all, I am 150% healthier than I was pre-sleeve. I hope you can come to terms with your fears and make an appropriate decision based on facts. ;)

Scared2death ~ It's normal to be scared of something that some people are opposed to it. I have had migraine's since I was 24 years old and since having this surgery 6 months ago' date=' I have not had any Migraines. People who don't take supplements as directed by his/her doctor's are at risk of malnourtrition. However, this is the patients responsibility to follow the doctor's order. Over all, I am 150% healthier than I was pre-sleeve. I hope you can come to terms with your fears and make an appropriate decision based on facts. ;)[/quote']

Totally agree with you...I did research for a few months after my original doctor did not want me to have the surgery because he said I was "healthy"...after doing some researching and speaking to a few people who had did the surgery I switched doctors and had my surgery...I believe some doctors do not have your best interest at heart...they rather you become sick or stay sick...more money for them...this surgery has been the best decision I ever made for myself...I never had surgery before in my life but I faced my fears and I'm reaping the benefits of it already...already lost 16lbs!!!!

will not have this surgey. i confronted my doc regarding his knowledge of the sleeve and he went on to inform me that he 'treats' several vsg patients for malnurishment, vision problems, Migraines and such. it seems there is a price to pay for everything and the potential long term costs for this surgery is way too high for me. and i suppose i am vain! i'd rather keep my beautiful hair than lose it to be in skinny jeans. best wishes to you all.

I sincerely doubt this, since there is minimal "malnutrition" problems with the sleeve. My guess is he treats RNY patients who do have malabsorption issues years out. The fact that he seems unable to differentiate the two is concerning.

Well, it's up to you. You certainly can take his advice and try alternative methods of losing weight. Or, if you're set on WLS it looks like you'll need a new PCP.

At 39 I weighed 270 and was also in "good" health. In the 2.5 years since then, with only an additional 4 lbs gained, I developed high blood pressure, GERD, out of control periods, joint pain, hypothyroid, severe Vitamin D deficiency, extreme sweating, and an aggravation of an old back injury that has left me with a possibly permanent limp. My PCP of ten years practically danced a jig when I told her I was considering VSG. If I were you I would find a new doctor.

Sent from my iPad using VST

My husband and i had the surgery. I jokingly called my husband the healthiest fat person alive !lol but he knew eventually the issues would come pouring in ! He weighed what you weigh and is 5'6" tall. He has now lost 60 pounds since surgery and never regrets!!! its smart to have this surgery before more bodily damage is done by weight. I on the other hand had every health issue known to man! He saw me and never wanted to be in my situation.

Please Please Please do more research before you make your final decision. The things you are referring to are extremely rare and if you look at the percentages you will find that the odds are very much in your favor. Malnutrition is very rare and mostly because people do not follow the program. Losing your hair can be a side effect but it comes right back. I never lost any of mine, so it doesn't neccesarily happen to everyone. My daughter lost some of her hair but she didn't find it to be any big deal. I really think your doctor is not very well informed on the surgery and only knows minimal facts. My doctor didn't know enough about this when I first approached him and he admitted he didn't know much and told me he thought I should go talk to a doctor that knew the information so that I would be better informed. I think that is what any good doctor should tell you. I know you are scared but don't make your decision on fear, You should be more afraid of what your weight can do to you in the long run. Good luck and please let us know what you decide once you get more information.

will not have this surgey. i confronted my doc regarding his knowledge of the sleeve and he went on to inform me that he 'treats' several vsg patients for malnurishment' date=' vision problems, Migraines and such. it seems there is a price to pay for everything and the potential long term costs for this surgery is way too high for me. and i suppose i am vain! i'd rather keep my beautiful hair than lose it to be in skinny jeans. best wishes to you all.[/quote']

You're probably right in waiting. I don't think you're ready for this life changing event. You have to be sick and tired of being fat before you're ready to undergo this elective surgery. For the record though , your doctor is doing you a huge dis-service. In addition to being grossly misinformed he's jeopardizing his patients health. Mexico is considered to be a center of excellence. In deciding where to have surgery My doctor told me a doctor that only performs this kind of surgery day in and day out should be high on anyone's list.

Keep reading the forums and if and when you're ever ready to go thru with this we'll all be here to support you.

Good luck.

Just wanted to share with you my story. I was extremely scared to do the surgery! About a month before my surgery date I found out I had diabetes, high liver enzymes, low B12, Vitamin D, etc.. I'm only 27 years old even my doctor said that I was like a ticking time bomb!!! Yikes!! My health scared me more than the surgery at this point. I could die not doing it! I was "healthy fat" for years so I thought, but it's not reality and doesn't exist!! Obesity is a disease no matter which way you look at it and trust me the rest of the diseases follow and it happens overnight! I recently lost a dear friend who was always a heavy guy. He was 27 years old had no idea he had diabetes and all his organs failed him. So tragic and sad. Think of your future it's not just about getting thin it's about living a long healthy life.. Good luck with your decision. I'm extremely happy with my sleeve I have lost 27lbs since April 3, 2012 and I'm no longer on my diabetes medicine :)

Good luck to you. I for one am doing this for my future health not my vanity. I am 56 years old and don't have much vanity left :) I do however, see my Mom who is only 18 years older and who has had similar weight issues to me. We both were not overweight as children or young adults but in our 30's we starting packing it on. She now deals with heart issues, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, & Type II diabetes. I am hoping to avoid these. My insurance covered my gastric sleeve which is scheduled for 5/21. My BMI was just over 40 which qualified me with no co-morbidities. I asked my doctor to refer me to the bariatric center and she said "sure, one of the nurses here had it a few months ago and she has done wonderfully." It is scarey but I have read many results on here of people that had it and it is rare that someone is sorry. Most of the ones that are sorry are a few weeks out and having some issues adjusting but later once they have things figured out they have no regrets. Maybe you could check with another Dr. for a second opinion?