Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i'm scared to death to have this surgery. i have no health issues, just fat. so if something happens to me it will be at the total cost of vanity. my doc will not approve me to have this as he feels that cutting the stomach is 'never something anyone should consider to do', so i would have to go to mexico which also scares me into literal death. can i live with half a tummy? does God want me to do this? what if i die? 10-20 years out what consequence will i pay for not having the gherlin hormone which also supports memory and growth? at what cost do i want to be skinny? why don't i love my fat-healthy self? someone help!!!!!!!!!!!

If you weren't scared, I'd be worried! I'm scared, too! I'm even more scared of diabetes, heart disease, joint replacement, strokes, and all the other bad things that happen as a result of being obese. For me, the benefits outweigh the risks. This is by no means an easy way out, but it is an option. I'm refinancing my home to have this done. I'm 40yrs old, single mom and I'm ready to LIVE!

May I ask how much you weigh? WAs wondering why your doc won't approve.

weight is 265. he says he will not clear me as i have 'enviable' health. i could lose him as a doc too, after 21 years.

Everyone starts out scared until they do their research and become more educated about the procedure, their surgeon and what's to be expected before, during and after the surgery. I was sleeved on Jan 18th and I'm thrilled with my results so far. I was a self-pay and flew to Mexico to have the surgery. I read this forum and others for weeks prior to the big day. I watched a YOUTUBE video and saw an actual procedure. Even though I used a different surgeon I went on dr Alvarez's website a lot because he posts YOUTUBE videos on a monthly basis and answers every question his patients ask him online.

I am eating regular food and have lost 36 lbs so far. I never had any problems at all after my surgery. No pain whatsoever. I started out at 230 lbs and was wearing size 18 pants. I'm down to a 14 now and the difference in the way I look and feel is amazing. And I'm just at the beginning. There are so many terrific benefits that come along with shedding pounds you won't fully appreciate the list until it happens to you.

No one can make this decision for you but you. But I'm here to tell you that you are very lucky to be so young and able to have this wonderful life-changing experience. I am 58 and wish I had heard of it sooner. I spent countless years as a fat woman in unfashiionable clothes stuffing cake down my throat instead of enjoying life as a thin heathy person. One of the myths of this surgery is that people think they have to give up food forever. The reality is- because you can't fit in as much food as you did pre-sleeve, you wind up eating more frequently. I feel like I'm eating all day. I am not on a diet anymore and if I feel like eating a few bites of cake I eat it. I'm conscious of carbs but I don't dwell on them like I did in the past.

So the bottom line is - educate yourself and then decide. If this isn't for you , then at least you'll be making your decision based on knowledge instead of fear.

Good luck!

Healthy but fat is an oxymoron. You may not have any health issues YET but they are coming rest assured it is just a matter of time. As someone wrote on another post do you see fat healthy old people? The answer is no! I have all of the same concerns you do as I am not yet sleeved. I also know that a horrible fate awaits me if I do not do something now. Good luck to you no matter what you choose.

Scaredtodeathforreal, I will be able to tell you more later this week. I go to Mexico in less than 24 hours for my surgery. I would seek another opinion because you doctor must not understand the mental side of being heavy. Please still consider having the surgery. Watch all the YouTube videos, read this site from cover to cover, you will see the changes in people's confidence in their writing and their photos. Best of luck and I will keep you posted.

There are lots of Dr's that do not support WLS. Some because they are not up to date with the new surgeries, Some because they feel that "You can lose the weight on your own" and others are just plain ignorant.

I have not yet asked my Dr. for my physician letter. If she says no i will tell her thanks for your services, ask for my records and move on to the next Dr.

I don't agree with what others have said about not having health issues yet. You ALREADY have a health issue! You, just like me, are OVERWEIGHT and that alone is a health issue!

We are all scared to death. But you know what? Im more scared of not seeing my kids go to College, Get married, have grandchildren. That is what I'm more affraid of!

Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

i'm scared to death to have this surgery. i have no health issues' date=' just fat. so if something happens to me it will be at the total cost of vanity. my doc will not approve me to have this as he feels that cutting the stomach is 'never something anyone should consider to do', so i would have to go to Mexico which also scares me into literal death. can i live with half a tummy? does God want me to do this? what if i die? 10-20 years out what consequence will i pay for not having the gherlin hormone which also supports memory and growth? at what cost do i want to be skinny? why don't i love my fat-healthy self? someone help!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

I was the same as you...I don't have any "health problems" but just overweight...but you have to think being overweight isn't heathly...believe me that heart conditions, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol is just around the corner if you continue being over weight...what woke me up is that obesity runs in my mothers family...my mothers sister my aunt died at the age of 27 from a heart attack and she was "healthy" but overweight...I was scared...I have never had surgery or been admitted to the hospital for anything...I had surgery on 4/11...believe me I was terrified...but I knew this was the right decision for me...I'm 25 and I didn't want to be like my aunt and die in two years from a heart attack...do your research and continue asking questions here...we are all here to help each other...I hope you make the right decision for yourself :0)

Most of us are scared before surgery - this is an optional surgery. Remember, human kind is afraid of what we do not know about. Some people are scared before learning to swim others were scared of transplant surgery. People are ignorant and it sounds like your doctor does not have all the facts. This does not make him a bad doctor but to threaten dropping you because you are pursuing something to make you healthier? Is that good medicine and in your best interest? No, he is not up to date on his information to advise you properly.

I only had a 33+ BMI so insurance would not cover me. I was a healthy fat person considered obese, just not morbidly obese. Every physical for years my doc would suggest losing 75+ pounds. Wow, but surgery wasn’t an option to me without a weight gain of 25+ pounds – which is crazy. Knew what my future was...more weight, less activity, lower self esteem, inability to do the things I wanted to do physically, shop freely in normal size stores and so much more.

Can I suggest you make a pro and con list? What happens if you do have surgery? What benefits do you get? Do research; ask others why they are doing this. Ask a person who has VSG for a while...are they still happy? (YES I AM) Now the cons - what happens if you don't have surgery? What is your future health going to be like? (take a look at your family who are overweight)

This is not a decision to make lightly since VSG is non reversible. Move forward with confidence.

Hugs to you!!!

I would research the vertical sleeve on google, watch youtube videos, and find a new Dr. that is supportive of a wls that I needed for my health. I wouldn't worry about losing your old doc, he's old school and lacks knowledge into the psychological effects and the addiction to food. This is a decision that you need to make, don't let your fear stop you. Make an educated decision, and go with it, either way, for surgery, or no surgery. If you could loose the weight on your own, you would of done it already. ;)

I did not see your age, but let me share with you what happens in the blink of an eye. I turned 40 last June and have been significantly over weight since at least 25 (over 200lbs at 5ft1). I always was "fat and healthy", so I thought. In the last year I have had to start on bp meds, i am right at the border of becoming diabetic and, I have most likely lost my opportunity to have a biological child. I am not sure how old you are, but let me tell you, if you are under 40, DON'T WASTE TIME!!!!! You don't want to wake up one day ready to finally deal with it and find out you are too late for some lifelong dreams you had. Where is your doctor going to be then? This is YOUR life. Your decision. I pray the BEST for you!

I agree with what everyone has said...I will ad one thing about your doctor. He is obligated to advise you of your health and give you the information as acurately as possible. He does not have to agree with the surgury but he has an obligation to give you all the facts. IF he is threatening you will not being your doctor if you go against his advice then he is not doing you any justice. A good doctor would never put you in such a position You have a 21 year history with him but that does not make him irreplaceable. You need to concider finding a doctor who will be supportive of your best interest. Being overweight in itself is not healthy and is not in your best interest. Again I agree with the other sleevers when they tell you to get all your facts and make an informed decision, Only you can make this decision but please make the decision based on facts and not on fear. Fear is always with us in things we haven't experienced, Facing the fear is usually not so bad. Best of luck and keep us informed.

Everything said here is very true! I myself, do not have too much to lose...(from what other people tell me). I think I do. I'm 5' tall and am 180 pounds. I have been working in EMS for 14 yrs, and let me tell you, I see first hand what being over weight can do to a person!!!! Its not pretty. Be sure to get your facts, make a list, then make your decision! Hope all works out for you. Any questions, we are all here for you! Good luck!

i wish there were a couple of ladies i could go with! have a lot to think about. honestly i have only found 1 person on the net who regrets this and feels she is wasting away (although i have come to understand that drinking milkshakes can stop weight loss) and not to mention the MANY american docs and nurses who are secretly getting this done! (smile) thank you for this forum and yes, for those who are forced to go to beautiful mexico always let me know your thoughts. they say 90% of what we fear never comes to pass. pray that's true here too!