Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help - Not Getting In Enough Calories!

I am two weeks post op today and am very pleased with how I feel and how much I have lost total. That being said, I have pretty much stopped losing now and I am pretty sure its because I am not taking in enough calories and also struggling to get in my Protein (most days I am ending the day with between 300-500 cals). I need some ideas about getting my calorie count up, especially since I plan to start going to the gym tomorrow as I am cleared for cardio and light strength training now. I know if I am already not netting enough calories, burning a few hundred at the gym isn't going to help things. I am still on mushies/purees for two more weeks and have been trying a wider variety of things but since I can't eat much at a time, its tough to get a lot of calories/protein in. I can choke down one Protein Shake a day but many of them send me to the bathroom within half an hour so I try to be careful and not have more than one a day (plus, I am SO sick of them). Tell me what you guys do to get in enough calories in the mushies stage!

I had this same problem before. Natural Peanut Butter is great if u can get down 1 tablespoon it's about 105 calories. V8 is a good option as well I just watered mine down and drank it throughout the day. It all gets easier with time.

<p>I have to eat 1000 calories a day to keep my weight lose steady. Some days it's pretty hard. I eat mostly dairy, eggs and tuna. I don't buy low fat cheese because if I cut all the fat out I can't reach my calorie goal. I add a little reduced fat mayo made with olive oil to my tuna to add calories. I cook my eggs in olive oil to add calories and good fat. When you're able to eat nuts, an oz. of nuts will give you calories plus Protein and good fats. You can also add Peanut Butter to your Protein Shakes. Good luck :)

300-500 is plenty good at 2 weeks post op. You aren't stalling due to caloric deficit.....you are stalling because you had major surgery and your body needs time to figure out what is going on.

Almost all patients experience a 2-3 week post op stall that can last awhile. It's normal. I've been eating 600-800 calories a day and I am 3 months out. No need to up your calories while in the weight loss stage....especially this early out.

I am glad you posted this. I am two weeks post op today as well and experiencing the same thing. It got me nervous b/c I figured it was too soon for a stall. I've lost 23 lbs since surgery but nothing the past week. I am just starting mushee food but having trouble getting in my grams of Protein and Water. I'm also having episodes of getting stuck so I'm trying to do a few more days on full liquids. How have you been doing with "head hunger"? Are you feeling full after you eat?

I am around this stage too. How many calories should we be aiming for? Today I got in 638, most of that from milk mixed with my shakes. I feel like that is a lot. :/

I am around this stage too. How many calories should we be aiming for? Today I got in 638' date=' most of that from milk mixed with my shakes. I feel like that is a lot. :/[/quote']

Im doing abt the same...3 wks post op...abt 600 cal a day...trouble getting in Water and Protein...sick of shakes...i found lean shake at GNC and the taste is much better than all the others.... Stalled already too...ive lost 25 lbs and for this last week it has stopped...nothing.....does Protein and calories have anything to do with the stall? Or maybe not enough Water? .... Very disheartening!.also,very tired..im trying to move but feel extremely tired.....

My fave food at this stage was making my own chicken Soup. My bought pre roasted chicken from Safeway ( because it was easy. Fed my family, plus saved some breast for me.I Boiled the bones with a bunch of veggies and strained it, making my own chicken stock. It's actually better Protein than the tetra packs you can buy ( and taste better).

I pureed the stock with roasted veggies, chicken breast, and milk. Then I would add spices depending on my craving..... Taco seasoning for Mexican, butter chicken sauce for Indian, etc.

If I felt I needed more Protein, I added a half scoop of chicken powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to it. Yummy!!

If you need more calories or fat, use cream instead of milk.

This was definately my go to meal. Please remember to strain if you don't have a really good blender though!!!