Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could Very Sore Muscles Mean Protein Deficiency?

Hey everyone :)

Recently I started to up my exercise. I don't have access to a gym so I've been doing yoga (the free videos on cable) and basic at home workouts (like push-ups, crunches, etc). I also walk a lot and my plan was this week or next week (weather dependent) to start jogging at the park near here. I always stretch very well and I'm careful not to over-do it or push myself too hard. I know sore muscles are to be expected, but mine are incredibly sore. Keeping me up at night even with advil sore and lasting for days type of sore. I've tried hot showers, gentle stretching, just giving it time, taking a break from the exercise.

Could the reason its this bad be because I'm not getting in enough Protein? I am definitely hitting my min every day, and I normally go over but is this my body's way of saying that I need more?

If not, what do I do?? Even my ribs and forearms are sore lol.

Thanks everyone!

I had a lot of soreness in my arms when I first started with the weights. It lasted for about a week, and then gradually got better. My legs are usually somewhat sore when I hit the bike really hard, but it doesn't last a long time. Definitely not overnight. I've noticed that I don't stay sore as long when I eat some fruit or good carbs just before I hit the gym.

Hopefully one of the exercise gurus will weigh in on this one. :)

i just started with the weights and toning and I've noticed my muscles are extremely sore, Im still feeling my leg workout from last week. I take in about 80-90 g of Protein a day so I doubt its from protein deficiency.

I'm pre-surgery, so no experience here... but I recently suffered severe muscle and joint pain while taking antibiotics. Thought I'd mention it, just in case. I'm done with them now and returning to normal. It was unexpected.

Have you had your magnesium levels checked recently? I've battled low-magnesium for years and muscle pain is one of the symptoms. Magnesium is a wonderful muscle "relaxant" that we normally get from foods, but not foods we're eating right now. I like to use magnesium citrate in the powder mix form, with Water. Don't need it every day, but maybe once or twice a week. Things like antibiotics (that ShapeShifter mentioned) can rob the body of magnesium. Of course it could be mostly related to increased activity, but talk to your doctor if it persists.

try Water arobics if ya can...Low friction on your muscles while it builds those muscles in your body, as your body is boyant in the water. I do 3 X a week and pay $20 a month to use the hotel pool.

"Emlefe" brings up a good point about magnesium, cant hurt to have it checked. For me, I don't mind a little soreness soon after a workout, it confirms the muscle groups that I targeted were hit pretty hard, which I like. But that lasting soreness or delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) can be very frustrating and delay the time that you get back into the gym, which we don't want. I'm certainly not a Dr, Nut or Personal Trainer, but BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids) can play a role in muscle recovery. Below is an interesting article on BCAAs and DOMS that can be informative about muscle soreness and other benefits of BCAAs. But if the soreness continues, I would surely get my magnesium levels checked and/or see a doctor. Also, you mentioned Protein, I always make sure to get some Protein in right after a workout, it helps to start the muscle healing/toning/building process after the workout.

http://blog.bodybuil...crush-cortisol/

Thanks for the input everyone! I have not had my levels checked, but i'm 1000 miles away from my doctor, so hopefully this resolves itself! I also don't think it is Calcium related. I never gave up milk and I eat yogurt every-other-day, plus there is definitely calcium in my Protein shake that I drink daily.

As for Water aerobics- I'd love too! I used to before my surgery but then I moved and the gyms with pool access are extremely over-priced and ridiculous. I tried desperately to get a membership somewhere, because I actually used to like the gym, but I simply can't afford it.

I suppose I'll give it some more time and if it doesn't go away ask my doctor (my gp or my surgeon?? hmmm...). It's just weird how sore it is... I never completely gave up exercise, just amped it up a bit. Plus, some of the muscles that are sore were unexpected- like around my ribs and my forearms. That was what made me think it could be more than just normal soreness.

Emily...are you sure it's all muscle soreness? Could it be some joint pain too? I would go see a Dr or specifially an orthopedist or related Dr if it continues. The ribs could be from working your core some, what exercises did you do before this started?

Emily...are you sure it's all muscle soreness? Could it be some joint pain too? I would go see a Dr or specifially an orthopedist or related Dr if it continues. The ribs could be from working your core some, what exercises did you do before this started?

I don't believe it's joint pain, just like really really sore muscles. I was doing light yoga (I could do the whole program pretty easily), stretching (not pushing it though), leg lifts, crunches, push-ups (tried lol). And, NOT all at once. The only thing I do every day is stretch. So these were spread out around 3 days I believe.

Any walk in clinic can run a bloodwork panel fairly cheap. I would definitely have my magnesium and potassium levels checked. Good Luck.

I had to laugh when I read the title of your post, because my first thought was "my very sore muscles meant my body was in shock!!" LOL :lol:

Not related to Protein at all - although, of course, it's important to consume lots of protein if you exercise regularly, but it's more to help rebuild the muscle faster.

I think you are just pushing yourself a little too hard. I'm jealous of people like you, while I've certainly experienced the "can't-walk-down-the-stairs-ahhhhh" soreness before, it's only if I have someone breathing down my neck at the gym. If I'm working out alone, I just stop if it's too much.