Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STRESS and the band

I now know how my band reacts to stress and it's NOT good. :huggie:

I have a new principal this year and she is determined to make sure that we know she is the boss. Out of the thirty or so teachers on our campus, only 4 have remained in their original room. Everybody else has a new room this year. That wouldn't be such a problem if she HAD BOTHERED TO LET US KNOW! I found out from a co-worker that I had been moved to a new room downstairs that is LESS THAN HALF THE SIZE OF MY OLD ROOM! :huggie:

I teach elementary music and we do much more than sing. I have no idea how I'm going to cover all of my objectives in "the closet" as I now call my room.

Our campus has always been a family and now she has decided that being a family is not good. She's trying to make us business aquaintances. Not a good thing when you teach 4-11 year old students.

The only people she is cordial with are the new teachers that she hired. It's very obvious in our staff development. She praises them, asks them to do things, and smiles at them. If anybody else tries to help they get shooed away and if we respond to a question we have to defend our answers.

Anyway, I can now tell that there is a band around my stomach and it's not a good feeling. Breakfast was tough this morning, lunch not much better and I PB'd on my snack on the way home. I am now sitting here with a bowl of thinned down yogurt and planning on liquids tomorrow. I don't know when I'll be able to eat solid food. I've got to find some way to get things to relax but I just don't know what I can do yet.

The only good thing is that I'm not eating over this. Stress eating has been a favorite of mine in the past but it's just not possible right now. Thank goodness!

I've been through a situation similiar to this about 7 years ago and it raised my blood pressure to stroke level and I came very close to suicide. I'm here still through the grace of God. I know that I can deal with this but I need some new coping techniques, so I'm open to suggestions.

I feel a bit better for having typed this out, but if this keeps up, it's going to be a L O N G school year.

Picardy, I feel sorry for you and yes, the band tightens during stress.

Being miserable at work is so bad. We spend the majority of our time at work and when that's miserable, it really disrupts our lives.

But isn't it cool that when we are banded and stressed - food is not the instant solution.

I hope things get better. Try and set up some support system with other teachers who are experiencing the same difficulties. Don't use it as a whine session but how can we get through this and make it as positive as possible.

I always picture myself at a job interview and they are asking 'describe how you have turned a negative into a positive during a past job' and I can say - 'at a job site, we had a new boss whose management style was difficult for many of us to adjust to. By setting up a support group for each other, we gave positive suggestions to help the others and ourselves adjust to the situation...'

Then, if nothing else, you are ready for your next job search.

Good luck. Celeste

Stress gets me too. I went through a time of stress regarding my family and my band just sinched up so tight I actually went and got a small unfill, because it just wasn't letting up. Hopefully, you are able to get your band to relax a little, lol.

I have heard of new managers revamping places and bringing their own staff and basically trying to drive out the old staff, but it never occurred to me that the same might happen in a school system. Can you talk to the school board or anything?

The only thing you can control is yourself. How you deal with the situation is in your control. Don't let the new management undermine your capabilities as a teacher. Take the new room, make the adjustments, and move on. A support group of disgruntled teachers will not make the situation better. It will just fuel the fire. Accept the changes. If, after time, you realize that you can't accept the changes, apply for a position somewhere else. It might take a while, OK a long while, to remove yourself from the situation, but at least you are taking proactive measures.

I understand stress all to well. I lived it and breathed it for years. I still do, but to a much lesser extent. I have come to realize that I can't control everything.

I do have a question for you. You mentioned eating a snack on the way home. Were you eating in the car while driving? I've been told not to do those kind of things because that's when we are likely to get in trouble. Knowing that you are under stress may require you to change up your eating habits until you are more in control.

I hope this helps and you learn to get the stress under control. Not an easy task I know. ;)

She sounds like she's from the old "don't smile til Thanksgiving" teacher style. Is it her first time as principal? My guess is she's trying to establish her authority and will lighten up as the weeks go by. Just keep smiling at her and do your job and show her what you're made of. Ask her opinion and advice when you can and build up her ego, let her know you respect her authority. And about your "closet"....the best person to register a complaint is one of the parents.....drop the right info to the right parents and they'll take care of the situation. At least that's been my experience. Hope things get better.

Thank you for the replies. Today was much better. Our entire district met today for a convocation/back to school rally. Our keynote speaker was awesome! He gave us so many good ideas for attitude adjustments and getting rid of negativity. We can't wait to try them, on the principal especially. :heh:

I'm not the only one having issues with her. A few talked with me yesterday afternoon and then the five of us who carpooled this morning discussed our situation. We know that whining and complaining won't help any of us, so we are banding together and supporting each other. That and the new hand signals we were taught this morning should get us started off and then we will figure out something else.

I've talked with the counselor at my school also and she is wanting me to try meditation, so that's on my list of things to do.

I can't really go to the school board because that doesn't follow the chain of command. This is the 8th largest school district in the country so I really have to follow the rules for things like this. I'm also in an inner city school and our parents are just happy that we have their children for 8 hrs a day that they really don't care what size room I have. Tomorrow is a work day and I will get down to business and see what can be done. There is a posibility that teachers will be moved again, so I might be able to get in on that. We'll see.

As far as eating while in the car, I know I'm not supposed to, but I have a 30-45 minute commute depending on the traffic. It was late in the day, I had worked hard that afternoon packing up stuff, and I had an early lunch, so I really needed a snack. Unfortunately I just didn't know how the band would react to stress and now I know. There will be no more eating when I know that I'm stressed out. Most of the time I don't have any problems, this really was a new situation.

I also know that I only have a year or two longer doing the job I'm in now. I'm in the process of getting my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction and really want to move into that area. I'm telling myself that I can do anything for a year and if not, God will find a way for me to make it.

I wish I could say this was her first principalship, but the rumor we've heard is that this is her 3rd school in four years. Don't know if that's true or not, but wouldn't surprise me. She's also very anal about organization, quiet, and not moving when you're not supposed to, so I can't wait to see how this fits with my loosy-goosy freestyle of teaching with my students. I plan and follow my lessons, but I also think on my feet and adapt as I go along. She's more of a "by the book" person and I like to improve on the book. I also realized today that she has traits of the three principals that I've worked with in the past that I had issues with. That will give me a reference point for when I start dealing with things. I do have some experiences to draw on and that will help.

Thanks again for the responses and I'm still open to other ideas, suggestions, techniques, etc.

Audra

then whammo! Why do things hit out of the blue? And why is it that once I get everything calmed down in mind and spirit does this stupid fickle silicon fist from hell like to rear it's ugly head? Hmmmm, gonna have to work on this some more.........

okay I don't mean to insult anyone in anyway....i am compiling questions for my doc......how does a silicone band "react" to stress? I know your organs react to stress but silicone? Please enlighten me.:)

okay I don't mean to insult anyone in anyway....i am compiling questions for my doc......how does a silicone band "react" to stress? I know your organs react to stress but silicone? Please enlighten me.;)

Bettina,

I wish I knew how the band reacted to stress. All I know right now is that if I get upset about something, if things are going badly at work, etc. that my restriction is definitely different. Even when I think I've gotten things under control or calmed down, it still makes eating a bit more difficult than usual. Thursday was a bad day due to being late to work, teachers late picking up students, and finding out some rules and procedures have changed without my knowledge. lunch that day was extremely difficult to get down. Today was relaxed and easy going and lunch slid down with no problems. My co-worker who convinced me to look into the band could tell the difference in how I was eating today as compared to yesterday. I'm hoping to figure out soon how and why mine reacts the way it does. And of course, yours might not react the same way. Everyone is different.

P

In pre-band days--when you were under stress--did your stomach tighten or get "upset"? Mine sure did

The band heightens stressed out muscles and tummies for obvious reasons.

Personally--when I ride for any distance in the car with DH driving, I feel as if someone is tightening my band with a wrench!

Another "tightener" is milk or dairy products. They produce more moucus in the stomach which will diminish the opening temporarily.

(My PR rep at the fill center clued me in on this uncontrollable phenomenon.)

My stomach has always been what gets upset when I'm upset. I don't think you need to blame the band especially, but I agree with Jack to Google for some stress relief excercises or whatever.

Best of luck. If she hasn't stayed at any school for very long, you may only have to put up with this for one year. Think positive!

Bettina,

I wish I knew how the band reacted to stress. All I know right now is that if I get upset about something, if things are going badly at work, etc. that my restriction is definitely different. Even when I think I've gotten things under control or calmed down, it still makes eating a bit more difficult than usual. Thursday was a bad day due to being late to work, teachers late picking up students, and finding out some rules and procedures have changed without my knowledge. lunch that day was extremely difficult to get down. Today was relaxed and easy going and lunch slid down with no problems. My co-worker who convinced me to look into the band could tell the difference in how I was eating today as compared to yesterday. I'm hoping to figure out soon how and why mine reacts the way it does. And of course, yours might not react the same way. Everyone is different.

P

Hi Thanks for your response. I called a science buddy of mine.. Silicone cannot show emotion...it can only react to direct stimulus. Since the band is on the outside of your stomach it is impossible for this to happen.

Instead its your organs that are reacting to stress. You might have this:

Globus patients describe a feeling of constant lump or tightness, choking or strangling of throat which tends to clear up temporarily when eating solid food or large amount of liquids.

Swallowing is not a problem and emotional stress worsens the globus sensation. Acid reflux disease has been implicated in some cases. Globus also tends to get amplified when associated with psychiatric conditions like depression, anxiety, or panic disorder.

You mentioned that some years ago you were suicidal, if some of those old feeling of stress are coming back (which I would imagine the new regime at your school is causing)...this could cause the problem. So it would seem you def need some stress relief, esp since you are in school with kids--that would do you in for sure..lol So, its not the band after all. Best wishes with your stress and the new school year!! Take care of yourself.;)

read this also: stress causes your stomach to bloat!!!!

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/stress.htm#4

Picardy,

I feel your pain. My last two years at school were not real pleasant due to the Assistant Principle. She really had no people skills. Our staff got an e-mail just before school that she had transfered to another campus. I did a "Happy Snoopy Dance" in the house! Her replacement is a calm, respectful and pleasant man. I think this year will be better already!

P.S. - I am also a Music Teacher