Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose And Loose Are Two Completely Different Words

LOL I was wondering how long I could bite my tongue about that.

Ya know, us mathematicians wish you grammar experts would just realize that not everybody cares about grammar.

We don't ask you to ask to know how to calculate the volume of an object, nor the amount of restriction that will be produced by a given curvature in a path, or even summize the economic outlook based on current & past indicators.

So :P nanny nanny boo boo to you too.

O.T.R. I know plenty of mathematicians who would do exactly what you are suggesting if they had an outlet for it. It is just easier to be a grammar Nazi on a forum that uses English instead of math for their language. If someone was on this forum comparing, say light years to liters, you would be the first to jump in to say one is a unit of distance and one is a unit of volume so cannot be compared. It would drive you crazy not to say anything. Am I wrong?

Everyone should care about basic grammar. No matter how educated or intelligent you are, if you cannot express yourself in the written word, you lead people to believe you are stupid. This is unfortunately the only interaction we get with people on this forum. Since I do not know these people first hand, I have to base my assumptions off of other factors.

I once had a lady in a grocery store tell me that you pick a sweet watermelon by looking for ones with lots of "scars" (the stretchmark things they get on the rind sometimes) because those "scars" are where the bees stick their stingers in and suck out the juice, and they know if it's a sweet one or not, so only the scarred ones will be any good.

I also had one of my staff members tell me she had to leave early because she forgot to take down her hummingbird feeder, so she was afraid it would stick around the feeder instead of finding the geese so that it could latch on to their "armpit feathers" with their beaks and get a ride south for the winter.

I had a man at a park with a large pond one tell me that some scars on a carp were extra gills - that carp are the only fish that can spontaneously generate additional gills when they start to run out of air.

Someone not knowing (or being able to type, or not caring, or whatever the case may be) the difference between lose and loose ranks pretty far down on the "duh" moments I have experienced.

(I have 5 degrees, but none of them happen to be in Typing, so you're welcomed to count my errors on any given post. I can guarantee at least one "teh").

I try to remember that not all of our posters speak or write English as their first language. However, some things still bother me as well. I often read my own older posts and cringe. I have to work to write in "normal" English, rather than in formal English. I am a paralegal and I'm used to writing briefs. I don't always phrase things as if I'm talking. I have a tendency to do if/then writing.

My spelling has suffered from the Internet, too. I used to be able to spell words properly, and now I have to stop and think when I'm typing canceled, automatically, publicly, etc. None of those three words looks right to me. And, like Wheetsin, I'm guilty of "teh" far too often.

I once had a lady in a grocery store tell me that you pick a sweet watermelon by looking for ones with lots of "scars" (the stretchmark things they get on the rind sometimes) because those "scars" are where the bees stick their stingers in and suck out the juice' date=' and they know if it's a sweet one or not, so only the scarred ones will be any good.

I also had one of my staff members tell me she had to leave early because she forgot to take down her hummingbird feeder, so she was afraid it would stick around the feeder instead of finding the geese so that it could latch on to their "armpit feathers" with their beaks and get a ride south for the winter.

I had a man at a park with a large pond one tell me that some scars on a carp were extra gills - that carp are the only fish that can spontaneously generate additional gills when they start to run out of air.

Someone not knowing (or being able to type, or not caring, or whatever the case may be) the difference between lose and loose ranks pretty far down on the "duh" moments I have experienced.

(I have 5 degrees, but none of them happen to be in Typing, so you're welcomed to count my errors on any given post. I can guarantee at least one "teh").[/quote']

LOL! Five Degrees? Jesus Christ when did you find time to do all of that?! God bless you

Hehe, it's not all it sounds to be. For starters I didn't pop out offspring until I was 32. That left a LOT of free time, with a job that paid tuition... and not much else to do. :) And let's see... I started undergraduate studies in 1993 and didn't wrap up the undergraduate until 2002. I had lots of time back then.

BIS, BA English Lit, BA Philosophy <- easy, had some sharable credits, and basically qualifies me to be a barista at Starbucks because, you know, none of the big philosophy companies are hiring. ;)

MS #1 <- pre-kid

MS #2 <- finished my last class about a week before I went into labor

I've putzed around with enrolling in a PhD program, mostly just so I can call myself "Doctor." I expect it would take me about 10 yrs. ;)

LOL! Five Degrees? Jesus Christ when did you find time to do all of that?! God bless you

I once had a lady in a grocery store tell me that you pick a sweet watermelon by looking for ones with lots of "scars" (the stretchmark things they get on the rind sometimes) because those "scars" are where the bees stick their stingers in and suck out the juice, and they know if it's a sweet one or not, so only the scarred ones will be any good.

(I have 5 degrees, but none of them happen to be in Typing, so you're welcomed to count my errors on any given post. I can guarantee at least one "teh").

ROFL. This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

If I were participating in a forum of mathematicians, and someone pointed out that my formulas were wrong, I would be grateful for the correction. I don't understand why some people don't even try to use correct grammar. No one is asking for perfection, but it seems like people might care enough to strive for excellence, or at a minimum, clear communication.

Proper grammar isn't something that we use for ourselves. Grammar is like etiquette in that it is something one does in consideration of other people.

We all make errors, but when the completely wrong words are used, why be so defensive? I assume that people are posting on this forum for the purpose of sharing their thoughts or receiving advice. Why not make it as easy as possible for fellow forum participants to understand what you are trying to convey?

I understand that the only thing in common is that we are participating in an internet forum, and that we will have a wide range of maturity levels. Just as a bunch of random people in a room will not all get along, neither will a bunch of random people on an internet forum. I do find it incredibly immature to be so defensive about correction.

Another one I've run across on here and another site I visit is people saying they are "6 (or whatever) days post off." What they obviously mean is post op. I'm in the medical field and this drives me nuts! lol

If they are posting from a smart phone, the auto spell check could be changing the word. Otherwise, that's just wrong. LOL

Little Bits

Ya know' date=' us mathematicians wish you grammar experts would just realize that not everybody cares about grammar.

We don't ask you to ask to know how to calculate the volume of an object, nor the amount of restriction that will be produced by a given curvature in a path, or even summize the economic outlook based on current & past indicators.

So :P nanny nanny boo boo to you too.

[/quote']

Lol

Little Bits

This is the rant and rave section so please don't flame me ...

Of all the words we use in this forum that are specific to being sleeved or common terms in weight-loss discussions, "lose" is probably the most often used.

To Lose - To be deprived of, or cease to have or retain.

Loose - Not firmly or tightly fixed in place.

It just drives me bonkers to see people constantly misspelling lose, "I can't wait to loose 100 lbs!" AAAARGH!!!! wrong. Clothes are loose, nuts and bolts are loose, a dog can get loose from his leash, but you LOSE weight, you will LOSE inches. It is called The Biggest LOSER, not the Biggest LOOSER. hello.

LOL...also have seen "lose" instead of "loss". So really, there are 3 interchangeable words :P

1- LOSE... You lose weight.

2- LOOSE...Your pants are now loose.

3- LOSS... Sometimes you have hair loss after you have weight loss surgery. :D

I got one that drives me wild and I hear it everyday at work. I'm from New York but moved to Mississippi. I have a BA in psychology so I decided to be an operations manager at a call center (yeah... ). So, I have to listen to calls to make sure the agents are with in guidelines and this is what I hear at the end of every call... "Is there anything else I can help you with ON today ma'am?" On today? What does that mean?

Love this thread!

For some reason, and even (t.v.) "journalists" do it, people have forgotten that "you" is plural.

My biggest pet peeve:

"Your guyses" as in-- Your guyses posts made me laugh.

(Technically there should be an apostrophe but since it's not a real word I refuse to put in there). :P

Lol, I love this thread!! English is my second language and I get soooo frustrated when people use "your" instead of "you're" or "there" insted of "their"... I think that we are soo busy and so not focus that we don't realize we're using the incorrect words.

I would also like to add two more words that are being misused.

To-I need to get my butt to the gym.

Too-Can you please add me to MFP too (not to)?

Weight-I lost weight today!

Weigh-My starting weight (not weigh) was 200 lbs.

How about periods and question marks? I see people that never use a single punctuation mark and I can't tell where the sentence ends or begins.

I bet all the people that use improper English have me beat at math. We all have our weak (not week) points. Lol!