Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose And Loose Are Two Completely Different Words

Yah I hate it when they right I am "loosing" wait, there just rung when there dueing that. :)

Can't stop giggling at this thread!

My pet peeve is people who use apostrophes for plurals.

My pant's are too big.

My clothe's don't fit.

Drives me nut. But lately, I've started seeing apostrophes on words with "nt" in it.

I wan't chocolate.

My pan't's are too big.

Now, with that being said, loose and lose are very hard for some people. My father is great at math but spelling is so difficult for him. Always has been. And I worked with a woman who used loose instead of lose in a document. I made a joke about it, thinking it was just a typo. She looked at me like I had stabbed her and said "are you making fun of me?" I felt so bad. I didn't realize she just had a hard time spelling. So, I try to cut people some slack.

HAHAHA - you're post made me laugh out loud! :P

I always wonder about the apostrophes for plurals. People seem to apply them randomly. I have noticed that on menus, etc., some plurals will have an apostrophe and some won't. I always want to ask why "margarita's" has an apostrophe but "martinis" does not! Is it just random? Is there rhyme or reason? WHY? :blink:

Also, is in only in America where people don't even try to use the language correctly? You would think that people would just try for excellence instead of getting bent out of shape for someone pointing out that they are using a word that means something completely different than intended. We all do it at times. I, for one, would rather know.

This is the rant and rave section so please don't flame me ...

Of all the words we use in this forum that are specific to being sleeved or common terms in weight-loss discussions, "lose" is probably the most often used.

To Lose - To be deprived of, or cease to have or retain.

Loose - Not firmly or tightly fixed in place.

It just drives me bonkers to see people constantly misspelling lose, "I can't wait to loose 100 lbs!" AAAARGH!!!! wrong. Clothes are loose, nuts and bolts are loose, a dog can get loose from his leash, but you LOSE weight, you will LOSE inches. It is called The Biggest LOSER, not the Biggest LOOSER. hello.

I had a lose and loose comparison as my status for quite some time. (or something similar.) spelin is wun uv mye pet peaves. It buggs me two. :lol:

While were on the subject:

Your- something belongs to you. "This is YOUR book."

You're- Contraction of "You are"

There- location or "There are two Cookies left."

Their- belongs to those people

And I agree with the random use of the apostrophe. There are rules. Let's try to remember them!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(all' of' the' lol' face's are' s'o no' one' think's I'm' takin'g myself' too' serious'ly! :lol: )

I totally agree with all of this...so many your/you're, their/there/they're, lose/loose, its/ it's mistakes!

Oh come on,you are too hard on us!For some of us on the board english isnt even a second language,it is a third.

I am an expat living in Dubai and we travel a whole lot.Let me tell you the Americans do fabulous with the language compared to other native English speaking countries.As for the rest of the non English world,there's English signs all over the world with the craziest spelling.The local news papers thats in English has the funniest language use in it,we are always joking about it....and no one even seems to notice or care that the world out here speaks "pigeon" english....but at least we have a common language we can use to understand each other.

One language speakers should know how to spell and use the grammar though...LOL

If English is not your native tongue, you get an automatic pass! ;) No worries! (That's my vote, anyway- I'm impressed with ANYone who can speak more than one language, and especially more than TWO!!)

What Dooter said (American) Engish is notoriously difficult and often makes no logical sense, so non-native speakers get a pass ;)

Hehe,I really try hard though.It is difficult enough to think you speak with an english accent just for people to ask if I am Russian?(am South african actually) I know I have made the mistake with the loose/lose word though.

xxo

This thread is so funny! :) You all are awesome!! Now everytime I see it on this forum I think of this thread!!! lol I've been seening it A LOT lately or actually I don't know if now I'm paying more attention to it since I've seen this thread. :)

All of the above are pet peeves of mine! I REALLY cringe when I receive a business letter using any or all incorrectly.

I've seen SEVERAL people do this and it bugs the crap out of me! It's not just a typo thing, either. They'll use loose 4 or 5 times when they really mean lose. Even when you reply using the correct spelling, they'll reply with the wrong spelling. Irritates me. :P

I am in a position where I am over a large number of secondary English teachers- almost five hundred. Although I have fantastic writing skills, I am often running around like crazy and hammering out email responses in spare moments. I am always terrified of making a silly mistake. There is no mercy for the person over the ELA program!

Obviously, the common mistakes bug me but I try to remember that the person making the mistake is probably as busy and scatterbrained as I am. ;)

I've been active on WLS boards for about 7 years now. I've seen more "looser" women than I can count. "I'm a looser!" <- always want to tell her she really shouldn't be proud of that.

Spelling is not a universal talent, nor are accurate translations between the brain and fingertips (I know their/there/they're intimately but that doesn't mean my fingers don't swap them on occasion).

It doesn't bother me as much as "less" vs. "fewer."

Or the pacific details of something...

Or lamp blasting someone's response...

Or clothing that is stripe id instead of striped...

Or streets that you walk acrosst...

Or randomly pluralized stores like Targets and Walmarts, when referred to in singular form...

Or just jacked up conjugations like incentivizing people...

Or inappropriate uses of r, as in when you warsh clothes to get the orl off...

Or being "in" like phlegm...

Or having it be a certain way for all intensive purposes...

Etc.

English is DH's second language. He can speak 3 languages fluently and 2 more with some effort. Smart guy, but the minutia of technically proper English still eludes him. He has a hard time with what I will call implied plurals like "people." It doesn't have the overt "s," but it never refers to a singular being. It throws him off and he sees it as a singular, so he constantly says things like, "People is..." or "They is..." Since he doesn't have much accent, people assume he's American and he's had some pretty rude corrections from people. (But not when this momma tiger is around.)

1980s, not 1980's. Unless you mean 1980's mistakes, like glam rock.

I've been active on WLS boards for about 7 years now. I've seen more "looser" women than I can count. "I'm a looser!" <- always want to tell her she really shouldn't be proud of that.

Spelling is not a universal talent, nor are accurate translations between the brain and fingertips (I know their/there/they're intimately but that doesn't mean my fingers don't swap them on occasion).

It doesn't bother me as much as "less" vs. "fewer."

Or the pacific details of something...

Or lamp blasting someone's response...

Or clothing that is stripe id instead of striped...

Or streets that you walk acrosst...

Or randomly pluralized stores like Targets and Walmarts, when referred to in singular form...

Or just jacked up conjugations like incentivizing people...

Or inappropriate uses of r, as in when you warsh clothes to get the orl off...

Or being "in" like phlegm...

Or having it be a certain way for all intensive purposes...

Etc.

English is DH's second language. He can speak 3 languages fluently and 2 more with some effort. Smart guy, but the minutia of technically proper English still eludes him. He has a hard time with what I will call implied plurals like "people." It doesn't have the overt "s," but it never refers to a singular being. It throws him off and he sees it as a singular, so he constantly says things like, "People is..." or "They is..." Since he doesn't have much accent, people assume he's American and he's had some pretty rude corrections from people. (But not when this momma tiger is around.)

1980s, not 1980's. Unless you mean 1980's mistakes, like glam rock.

HAHAHAHAHA, Thank you, Wheetsin, you understood the spirit in which this was intended! =) I am by no means a super-grammarian. We do all make mistakes and yes, people for whom English is not the first or even second language absolutely get a pass! Lose and Looser though, aargh! It isn't even like they sound similar, because they don't!! Lose has a hard s like a z sound, and loose has a soft nearly sibilant s, not like there-their-they're, which all sound identical and create totally understandable mistakes, especially in non-native speakers. We all have our "thing", this one is mine, along with not pronouncing the first r in "library" (but that's neither here nor there). =D =D